U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:17 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,238,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The less sun the better for me! I have much more energy on cloudy days compared with sunny days. Too much sun over-stimulates me and blinds me even with sunglasses on. I also do not do very well in the heat either.
Ever try a welding mask instead of sunglasses? (kidding, of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 11:05 AM

3,030 posts, read 5,639,995 times
Hey Cold Canadian: Wanna live in L.A. to get that SoCal sun?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:23 PM

15,219 posts, read 20,824,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Ever try a welding mask instead of sunglasses? (kidding, of course)
I have very fair skin so I burn easily in the summer even when using sunblock. I just prefer the northern latitudes and the less solar radiation the better I could never live in the sunbelt

Old 11-01-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Hey Cold Canadian: Wanna live in L.A. to get that SoCal sun?
Sure, I'd love to live in a sunny climate like SoCal.
The city of L.A. is probably too crazy for me though, especially lately.
(from what I've heard on city-data )

There actually was a small chance a few years ago that my family was going to move to the San Diego area back in the early 90's, but things never panned out. I was thrilled about the idea of cold winter's days for us could mean highs under 60 F, seeing ice only in drinks and snow only in "cones."

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-01-2007 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-01-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I have very fair skin so I burn easily in the summer even when using sunblock. I just prefer the northern latitudes and the less solar radiation the better I could never live in the sunbelt
Well when you mentioned the sun was too bright and stimulating, even with sunglasses I thought you might have also meant to your eyes; in which case a welding mask would be perfect.

For my skin, the sun is too strong in Toronto to spend hours outside without sunscreen.
My skin would like to live in a climate like England; cloudier than here and 55 degrees from the equator instead of 43 degrees.
A climate further north might help with not getting sunburnt, but the air is too dry in colder places.
(I generally prefer a dewpoint above freezing)

My fingers, toes and "core" still prefer a climate closer to Jamaica.
However, even in the tropics when I wear an SPF of 30 I can't feel the sun much spending all day outdoors.
In a southern Ontario summer, I won't burn wearing SPF 15 and "win total immunity" from the sun wearing SPF 30.

I'd rather wear sunscreen than wearing gloves/mitts and a coat anyday.
Sorry to hear that you probably don't have that kind of option.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Well when you mentioned the sun was too bright and stimulating, even with sunglasses I thought you might have also meant to your eyes; in which case a welding mask would be perfect.

For my skin, the sun is too strong in Toronto to spend hours outside without sunscreen.
My skin would like to live in a climate like England; cloudier than here and 55 degrees from the equator instead of 43 degrees.
A climate further north might help with not getting sunburnt, but the air is too dry in colder places.
(I generally prefer a dewpoint above freezing)

My fingers, toes and "core" still prefer a climate closer to Jamaica.
However, even in the tropics when I wear an SPF of 30 I can't feel the sun much spending all day outdoors.
In a southern Ontario summer, I won't burn wearing SPF 15 and "win total immunity" from the sun wearing SPF 30.

I'd rather wear sunscreen than wearing gloves/mitts and a coat anyday.
Sorry to hear that you probably don't have that kind of option.
I am definitely a nordic person. The low temperature was in the lower 20s in eastern Kansas today and it felt very refreshing to me. In fact, I have noticed that I tend to have much more energy when the weather starts getting cool/cold compared with the hot summer months. The terrible heat and humidity just makes me more lazy

Old 11-02-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I am definitely a nordic person.

The low temperature was in the lower 20s in eastern Kansas today and it felt very refreshing to me. In fact, I have noticed that I tend to have much more energy when the weather starts getting cool/cold compared with the hot summer months. The terrible heat and humidity just makes me more lazy
At least you have an idea where you'd fit in.
I have no idea what kind of person to describe myself as, except I haven't yet seen a heat wave I didn't like.

I'm envious of the climate iguanas are native too; lounging daily in dependably hot sun definitely appeals to me. I'm not American, so calling myself a "Southerner" is weird since I might never be able to live in the U.S.A. I like the climate and cuisine, but most southerners like A/C a lot more than I do. I could also see myself in the hotter parts of Australia, tropics, Meditteranean... even the weather in Bagdad is more appealing to me than any place in Canada.

Glad to hear you getting very refreshing, energizing weather.
I feel the same way when it's at least above 65 F.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 AM

1,462 posts, read 174,462 times
Hey canadian watch out winter is on its way!! Its suppose to snow here on saturday :O

Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Hey canadian watch out winter is on its way!! Its suppose to snow here on saturday :O
Where I live it's a lot milder, at least for now.

Tommorrow's forecast is 11/4 C or 52/40 F, mainly sunny and light winds. Next wednesday though we're cooling down to 4/-2 C or 40/28 F with mix of rain and snow.

I also heard good news for me, thanks to a La Nina, we're expected to be 1-2 C or 2-3 F warmer than average this winter. That means still cold enough ski resorts can run but (hopefully) mild enough we will miss a lot of sub-zero weather.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Where I live it's a lot milder, at least for now.

Tommorrow's forecast is 11/4 C or 52/40 F, mainly sunny and light winds. Next wednesday though we're cooling down to 4/-2 C or 40/28 F with mix of rain and snow.

I also heard good news for me, thanks to a La Nina, we're expected to be 1-2 C or 2-3 F warmer than average this winter. That means still cold enough ski resorts can run but (hopefully) mild enough we will miss a lot of sub-zero weather.
Unfortunately, the La Nina is bad news for the southern US that is suffering from a terrible drought. A La Nina usually means less precipitation for the southeast. Atlanta, GA is still at risk of not having enough water to meet supply over the next couple of months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather