Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times

Advertisements

Interesting concept. It would be weird, but have some perks. Snowfall would be more likely during the day during the fall, winter, and spring...summer days would be comfortable and I'd have an excuse to blast the A/C all night while I'm asleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
It's not unusual here in winter for the 'daytime' high to actually happen during the night - it happened nine times in a row over last Christmas/New Year - but that was nothing to do with the sun; it generally happens on full overcast days when the weather is in full-Atlantic mode just because of fronts or shifting air currents.

Higher-latitude and more maritime places like the Shetlands have this in winter even more than we do - this table below shows how random the time of the daily high can be and how it's largely influenced by wind speed:
How does that happen, having so many fronts that you can have daytime maximums at night, repeated for more than 3 days in a row?

When you get a wind direction change and a swing in temperatures in the UK, is there warm fronts behind the cold fronts, or is it merely cold fronts that temporarily drop your temperatures? Or is the UK really much colder than that and you experience multiple short lived warm fronts?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
My prefered inverted range that I would like to try would be not very large. Something like 22-26 C (72-79 F) in the day and 25-29 C (77-84 F) at night.

I like ilovemycomputers thoughts; comfy summer afternoons and just use A/C to sleep.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,650,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How does that happen, having so many fronts that you can have daytime maximums at night, repeated for more than 3 days in a row?

When you get a wind direction change and a swing in temperatures in the UK, is there warm fronts behind the cold fronts, or is it merely cold fronts that temporarily drop your temperatures? Or is the UK really much colder than that and you experience multiple short lived warm fronts?

I can't give you a particularly detailed reply because I don't fully know, but in the Scatsta graph above (on a windswept Scottish island) it seems to be more about simple movement of air currents caused by wind speed (I should have copied the wind direction info too, but didn't), which overrides the weak influence of the sun. When the weather's in Atlantic mode in midwinter we might get a front every couple of days, but there has to be more to it than that. Some of our all-time high temperature date records around the winter solstice were recorded after dark, so lack of weak, low-angle sun seems to have no impact on how mild it can get.

In December here in London it's normal to have up to half the days with the high temperature after dark (though admittedly, it's dark for twice as long as it is light), and it's almost always when the weather is unsettled. If you look at the data in the graphs from December 2012 from the 22nd onwards you might be able to make more sense of how it works.

NW3 Weather - Daily reports

Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM

775 posts, read 1,169,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I can't give you a particularly detailed reply because I don't fully know, but in the Scatsta graph above (on a windswept Scottish island) it seems to be more about simple movement of air currents caused by wind speed (I should have copied the wind direction info too, but didn't), which overrides the weak influence of the sun. When the weather's in Atlantic mode in midwinter we might get a front every couple of days, but there has to be more to it than that. Some of our all-time high temperature date records around the winter solstice were recorded after dark, so lack of weak, low-angle sun seems to have no impact on how mild it can get.

In December here in London it's normal to have up to half the days with the high temperature after dark (though admittedly, it's dark for twice as long as it is light), and it's almost always when the weather is unsettled. If you look at the data in the graphs from December 2012 from the 22nd onwards you might be able to make more sense of how it works.

NW3 Weather - Daily reports
I can "almost" happen in summer too, when, quite often, the daily max is only reached very late in the day, often after 5pm, especially after cool-ish mornings with a strong high pressure system in place.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
If we were awake in the nights (and asleep during the day) then yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather