Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson,_Manitoba#Climate
Midland 27 61.36%
Thompson 17 38.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,748,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
To me that's exactly the problem with heat - it's uncomfortable and inescapable. Barring air conditioning there is virtually nothing that can be done to combat uncomfortably hot weather. At least snow can be shoveled and cold can be insulated against. Combine that with the fact that cold and snow aren't uncomfortable for me in the least (I very much enjoy being in those conditions), and you should be able to see why I have such a strong preference for cold weather.
Interesting point, but I think you missed what he meant.

In Canada at least, you HAVE TO shovel snow.
We don't just shovel the snow to increase our comfort in day-to-day living.
If you don't clear the snow and someone walking onto your property slips, they can sue YOU.
This includes any sidewalk area that cuts across your property, even though the city technically owns it.
Likewise it is illegal to drive with snow accumulated on a car roof.
It is not illegal to drive with rain covering a car roof.

Unless you are an employer,
nobody's going to sue you for air-conditioning not working in the heat of a Deep South summer.
Or can they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,748,755 times
Quote:
I don't know how long you've been in Louisiana, but if you've spent a summer there and after a year there you loved the overall weather, more power to you. In my experience a people's suppositions about what they like are pretty accurate, assuming they do extensive research.
I suppose you can include me with that.

I have been in Australia for 2 years now and I enjoy summer here almost continuously,
yet I have always started to feel too cold by late May
and winter always seems to drag on longer than I prefer.
Though Australian winters are just an inconvenience.
I still battle with many Australian winter mornings, but winter days I am usually neutral about.

I hear some Canadians living in Australia move back to Canada because they miss cold weather.
Hasn't happened to me yet.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
I think it deepdns on what your use to really. I never got along qwith long hard winters when living else where.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,875,482 times
In other words, the poll is about whether you're a heat or cold lover. Quite predictable and boring.

Thompson.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:54 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,567,528 times
Midland easily, just like a summer in inland central Qld.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 AM

226 posts, read 244,167 times
Midland. It's not that extreme just unpleasant. If it was somewhere with temps in the 40s often touching 50C then I would choose Thompson as there's more chance of being able to protect yourself from -30C, through wearing extra layers.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:40 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Unless you are an employer,
nobody's going to sue you for air-conditioning not working in the heat of a Deep South summer.
Or can they?
No one's going to sue you, but with no A/C you're certainly going to suffer . My point is that the discomfort of cold and snow can be licked, whereas you just have to suffer through the discomfort of heat, assuming that either are uncomfortable - if 100F or -20F is comfortable to you that changes the calculus.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:08 AM

6,457 posts, read 6,639,419 times
Quote:
My point is that the discomfort of cold and snow can be licked,
That is simply not true for everyone. And it can change with age. I used to love snow skiing; I would even ski in sub-zero temps. But once I hit my 40s, being outdoors even in temperatures in the teens, was actually painful, despite top of the line ski-wear head to toe. It was frustrating---the others that I went skiing with would insist it wasn't that cold, but my fingers and toes would feel excruciating pain, and my entire body felt cold down to my bones. I haven't been skiing for over 10 years now, and every time I have to be outdoors in low temps, despite layers of clothing, coats, hats, etc, the cold is quite painful. It's hard to even describe the sensation, but it is intensely miserable.

In extremely hot weather, if I have to be outdoors, I keep a spray bottle of water to spritz myself, and of course water to drink. It's uncomfortable, but not painful.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,451,011 times
I agree. I hate the stinging sensation on exposed parts of my body like my face or my hands. Even parts of my body which are covered but not sufficiently layered, like my legs usually, can still feel pain in very cold weather. Heat is uncomfortable but it doesn't sting your skin (unless you get sunburnt).

Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,183,605 times
Midland is definitely hot and unpleasant during the summer, but there are far hotter places. Not a great comparison.

Of course I'll take a winter in Thompson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather