Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has overall better climate?
Europe 73 35.61%
United States 132 64.39%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
From an objective standpoint, they are excellent climates for human comfort.

I'm not sure I've ever known somebody to go on vacation to a humid subtropical climate for the weather, except for parts of Florida.
Humid subtropical climates have all the benefits of Med climates, but without the problem of rainless summers. For any given temp spread, the Med climate is always less equable than its humid subtropical equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Well, people going to Orlando et cetera will likely consider it tropical regardless!

Having said that, I know people going to Dubrovnik for the weather and that's humid subtropical. It does exist but certainly trails med climates. The problem with many humid subtropical climates is that summer rainfall amounts are very excessive.
Simple, just do your outdoor activities at the times it isn't raining. Most precipitation in humid subtropical areas comes during afternoon storms, meaning that mornings and evenings are free for action in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 02:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
From an objective standpoint, they are excellent climates for human comfort.

I'm not sure I've ever known somebody to go on vacation to a humid subtropical climate for the weather, except for parts of Florida.

Prolly cause Europe has so few humid subtropical climates, and for us the Cali climates are too far for a short holiday.

All the subtropical climates in the eastern US are humid subtropical. Millions of Americans go to the beaches of the Carolinas, Gulf Coast, and SE coast in summer for beach holidays. We are probably more used to humid heat so doesn't bother as much as folks from drier climates.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Well, people going to Orlando et cetera will likely consider it tropical regardless!

Having said that, I know people going to Dubrovnik for the weather and that's humid subtropical. It does exist but certainly trails med climates. The problem with many humid subtropical climates is that summer rainfall amounts are very excessive.

Durbrovnik is not a classic humid subtropical climate. More like a hybrid between a Med climate and a humid one. Summer rainfall definitely shows a drop off from the rest of the year.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Based on that, I wouldn't consider it warm temperate at all.

It is a diff of anywhere from 1C to 3C over the course of the year. So 2F to 6F and you would change it over that amount? What would you call it then lol Cold Continental?

Old 04-27-2017, 03:01 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Non existent Springs? What does that mean and compared to where? From London to Paris to Bulgaria I have a warmer Spring. Only March is colder compared to London and Paris. Both Kansas City, MO and Philadelphia have warmer March, April and May months than Sofia, Dobrich, and Varna. Kansas City is warmer than Philadelphia in Mar, April and May.

Not sure what metric one could use besides avg annual mean temps for a month to determine how it compares to somewhere else.

Not sure where this idea that we have non existent Springs comes from. People need to stop assuming all of the eastern US has the same climate as Warsawza in upstate NY. Not even close. Only the last couple years has March been bad, other than that April and May have been very good. It is pretty hard to have a non existent Spring when I'm at 40N latitude and the sun is stronger than almost all of Europe save the very southern edge.
I realize my post was not really clear.

What I meant is that there seems to be either slow starting springs in the north-east cities which otherwise get hot humid summers (say, Atlantic City for instance, which is not too different from here but roughly one month late when it comes to spring), but mostly there seems to be many places with dramatic temperature shifts from near-summer weather to cold wintrish conditions with too few mild days when it should be the mild season. I mean, our April average here is something like 8/18, but most days are actually like this, days above 25c are only a few every year, but a 12c high in April would be considered extremely cool either. It seems that spring is really inconsistent in the NE quarter. I prefer a more stable spring.

For the NE quarter I think fall is vastly superior to here though.

7,212 posts, read 3,088,735 times
Dubrovnik has a Mediterranean climate, without any doubt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubrovnik#Climate

B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
It is a diff of anywhere from 1C to 3C over the course of the year. So 2F to 6F and you would change it over that amount? What would you call it then lol Cold Continental?
Continental. It's certainly not temperate if the winters are around 0c.

When I hear temperate I think of stable, mild climates.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:02 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Humid subtropical climates have all the benefits of Med climates, but without the problem of rainless summers. For any given temp spread, the Med climate is always less equable than its humid subtropical equivalent.

Simple, just do your outdoor activities at the times it isn't raining. Most precipitation in humid subtropical areas comes during afternoon storms, meaning that mornings and evenings are free for action in most cases.
I am not sure hurricane warnings and occasional blizzards are more of a benefit over (relatively) dry summers. Not too fond of 25c dewpoints either (which some mediterranean climates get unfortunately).

Old 04-27-2017, 03:08 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times
Quote:
Why are people so impressed with S. California? Hollywood hype. I think they are decent, but I prefer humid subtropical.

Lol, are you the guy from Australia that seems to get banned all the time. This is a brand new account and you sure post like him lol.
Southern California has very much hype, I heavily agree with that!

Unfortunately I can give reps to any message you post but take account that I support all of your messages in this thread.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I realize my post was not really clear.

What I meant is that there seems to be either slow starting springs in the north-east cities which otherwise get hot humid summers (say, Atlantic City for instance, which is not too different from here but roughly one month late when it comes to spring), but mostly there seems to be many places with dramatic temperature shifts from near-summer weather to cold wintrish conditions with too few mild days when it should be the mild season. I mean, our April average here is something like 8/18, but most days are actually like this, days above 25c are only a few every year, but a 12c high in April would be considered extremely cool either. It seems that spring is really inconsistent in the NE quarter. I prefer a more stable spring.

For the NE quarter I think fall is vastly superior to here though.

Our avg high in April is 17.7C, and over the last 30 years we average 4 days in April that fall below 12C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather