Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has overall better climate?
Europe 73 35.61%
United States 132 64.39%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Snow like in the photo, isn't common in the mountains behind Mission Viejo though. I showed this thread to a native of there. They said that would be a rare site and that the mountains don't really tower over the town like the photo suggests.

Joe is spot on. I just showed that photo of Mission Viejo to my co-worker from there. She echoed exactly what your neighbor said. Snow is quite rare on those mountains. She said it does happen but not every year that is for sure.

Also, she said the same thing about the mountains. They don't look that close. Santiago Peak is about 8 miles from the lake. Zoom cameras and photography can make the mountains appear like they are right on top of the town.

My co-worker said to ask your neighbor if they remember a place called "lampost pizza". My co-worker actually grew up in the Laguna Hills neighborhood, and went to Laguna Hills High School.

This photo looks a lot more realistic of Tucson, Arizona. Mt. Lemmon is over 9,000 ft elevation, and gets over 175 inches of snow a year. You have palm trees and citrus trees all over Tucson and these mountains for your winter fix.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Joe is spot on. I just showed that photo of Mission Viejo to my co-worker from there. She echoed exactly what your neighbor said. Snow is quite rare on those mountains. She said it does happen but not every year that is for sure.

Also, she said the same thing about the mountains. They don't look that close. Santiago Peak is about 8 miles from the lake. Zoom cameras and photography can make the mountains appear like they are right on top of the town.

My co-worker said to ask your neighbor if they remember a place called "lampost pizza". My co-worker actually grew up in the Laguna Hills neighborhood, and went to Laguna Hills High School.

This photo looks a lot more realistic of Tucson, Arizona. Mt. Lemmon is over 9,000 ft elevation, and gets over 175 inches of snow a year. You have palm trees and citrus trees all over Tucson and these mountains for your winter fix.
I actually showed that photo when it was in another thread, so your co-worker will have to wait a month for an answer, as ironically, the neighbour is back there now, on holiday. I'm not sure, but I think the name of that suburb/school sounds familiar. Just to top it off, I've also been working with from someone from there and whose parents have a restaurant (Corsoes) there - small world stuff.

The hills behind the town do look good though, I like drier country/more open vegetation like that, for ease of travel. Much easier than the jungle I have to contend with here. A friend and I got "bluffed" a few weeks ago. Having to backtrack through the particular bit of bush was an ordeal.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I actually showed that photo when it was in another thread, so your co-worker will have to wait a month for an answer, as ironically, the neighbour is back there now, on holiday. I'm not sure, but I think the name of that suburb/school sounds familiar. Just to top it off, I've also been working with from someone from there and whose parents have a restaurant (Corsoes) there - small world stuff.

The hills behind the town do look good though, I like drier country/more open vegetation like that, for ease of travel. Much easier than the jungle I have to contend with here. A friend and I got "bluffed" a few weeks ago. Having to backtrack through the particular bit of bush was an ordeal.

Small world. I'll ask my co-worker about Corsoes. Lampost Pizza is owned by the family of my co-worker as well. That is why she mentioned it. My co-worker is going to training next week in Sacramento, and after the training she is driving down to Mission Viejo to visit her family. They'll be there the same time.

I agree about the dry vegetation. Plus some mountains look better when they are not covered with trees. I like the look of mountains above the tree line.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
The mountains around here are a mixture of both (1st photo). Heavy bush down low and totally clear above about 4000ft. The hardest climbing is often the scrub just below the bushline.

The mountains further south and east of the divide, have very little vegetation. The second photo shows mountains typical to there. It rises 6000ft above the lake
Attached Thumbnails
Climate battle: Europe vs. United States-dscf0763.jpg  

Last edited by Joe90; 11-30-2017 at 10:34 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Winter view of the cote d'Azur with Alps coverd by snow in the background.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 AM

Very nice. I love the mix of snow and subtropical climate.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM

81 posts, read 351,771 times
Spain has a desert.

I would prefer Europe because there is nothing like this in the USA

Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
The U.S. has much more variety....our best of the best beats Europe's best. Our worst climate may be worse than europe's worst as well. Also, Mexico has a beetter climate than the U.S.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The U.S. has much more variety....our best of the best beats Europe's best. Our worst climate may be worse than europe's worst as well. Also, Mexico has a beetter climate than the U.S.

But the US does not have what the poster above you just showed. Point me to beaches as beautiful as those in the US. They don't exist.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
USA, since it has tropical and subtropical climes. The USA has the biggest variety of climates in the world. In fact, it has all climates. You can have:
Steppe (Salt Lake City)
Semi-Arid (Inland Empire, CA)
Subtropical (Tampa Bay)
Tropical (Honolulu)
Humid Subtropical (Washington DC)
Arid (Phoenix)
Subarctic (Fairbanks)
Arctic (Barrow)
Oceanic (Seattle)
Humid Continental (Chicago)
Mediterranean (San Diego)

You have flat and marshy landscapes (Florida) and very dry, mountainous ones (Arizona). You can have the cold reaches of the Arctic (Alaska) or the lush tropical rainforests (Hawaii). Dense deciduous forests (Vermont) and conifer forests (Oregon) or prairie as far as the eye can see (the Dakotas). There is simply no comparison to the climate and terrain of the United States of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather