Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Le Luc
A 2 7.14%
B 15 53.57%
C 8 28.57%
F 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:50 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,761 times

Advertisements

I'd call this an A- Allons-y!

Cant complain about the temperature array at all. Normal weather never too hot nor too cool (okay, a little cooler summer lows and not so much rain in October would be good).

Love the abundant sunshine, as well.

This climate seemed odd in two ways. I knew that the south of France had mild winters (indeed!), but never thought there would be any place in France where the normal high would be pushing 90!

Also odd is to see a Csa climate with October as the month with the most rain (in Cs climates in the USA, by contrast, October is the driest). And the precipitation pattern is complex, jumping up in April, then back down, then up again to October peak, then down before heading up again before years end!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 03:36 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
This climate seemed odd in two ways. I knew that the south of France had mild winters (indeed!), but never thought there would be any place in France where the normal high would be pushing 90!

Well, places in the red area have usually mild winters and summer highs in 80/90's F. Not unusually hiiting 100's during the heatwaves.

a typical summer heatwave, with temperatures around 40°C in the south-west and the mediterranean area.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post

Well, places in the red area have usually mild winters and summer highs in 80/90's F. Not unusually hiiting 100's during the heatwaves.

a typical summer heatwave, with temperatures around 40°C in the south-west and the mediterranean area.

Are the 30 year avg high temps in summer above 32C in all those red areas? I thought Nice avg high temp in July was in the 80's.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:30 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are the 30 year avg high temps in summer above 32C in all those red areas? I thought Nice avg high temp in July was in the 80's.
No, those areas are those where the average yearly temperature (highs and lows of summer, fall, winter, etc.) is above 12,5°C. those areas combines hot summers and relatively mild winters.

I wouldn't say that all these areas have summer highs above 32°C, that would be probably not the case for all places. for exemple Nice is directly along the sea, as such it has a cooling effect in summer and a warming affect in winter (the med waters are about at 14°C in winter and 24°C in summer). The inland area of provence, languedoc or the south-west have regulary hotter summer high temperatures than the towns directly in the sea. This is usually not noticed on averages since the lows are lower in the inland than on the coasts.

When I was a kid, I used to live with my parents in the inland (About 30 km from Cannes). It was much cooler in winter than on the coast, but in summer, when it was something like 27°C on the coast we usually had about 32°C and more in the day time.

During the heatwave of 2003, Nice and surroundings were among the "coolest" areas of France with about 30°C, while much of the rest of southern half of France was turning around 40°C and more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/co1nco1n/1696963949/

Heatwaves usually do not hit the area around Nice, which stay moderately warm, but almost never extremely hot.

Here a more recent "average heatwave" (in August 2010) as there are two or three each year, as you can see Nice a little 26°C while many areas in southern France struggled between 34° and 41°C.

Last edited by french user; 04-14-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 02:31 PM

775 posts, read 1,168,910 times
Quote:
I used to live in Fayence, not that far from Le Luc. 1F should be some sort of rare climatical record tha happend once in a century or so, I never have experienced this kind of temperature during my years there. In winter there can occasionally have some sub-zero celcius temperatures, (32F), especially in the moornings when the the skies are clear. This town is not along the coast, but in the "arrière pays" (inland), in a valley surrounded by hills, which means that minimals can be significantly lower than in costal towns; but also that highers can be significantly higer too. Palm trees usually grown in towns along the coast, in the inland they are less numerous, but still can be. Let's remind that palms are not native to the mediterranean area.

Le Luc is quite climatically famous in france because it said to have one of the higher summer average, because of the fact of been relatively cut from the maritime influence, despite its proximity to the med.
In summer when you usually have somehow 28°C on the coast you'll have something like 35°C in Le Luc, a few kilomters inside.
If in most winters temperatures only fall a few degrees below 0C (32F), then it's not surprising that palm trees thrive there. Some varieties are hardier than others can withstand a few days of frost. Do oranges grow well in this area?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:35 PM

775 posts, read 1,168,910 times
Quote:

This map nicely illustrates the effect of the Parisian urban heat island - it is quite literally an "orange island" in the middle of much cooler yellow and blue areas. It is interesting how it is almost the only orange area in northern France, with the exception of parts of Brittany, which shows how mild western France is.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Quote:
No, those areas are those where the average yearly temperature (highs and lows of summer, fall, winter, etc.) is above 12,5°C. those areas combines hot summers and relatively mild winters.

I wouldn't say that all these areas have summer highs above 32°C, that would be probably not the case for all places. for exemple Nice is directly along the sea, as such it has a cooling effect in summer and a warming affect in winter (the med waters are about at 14°C in winter and 24°C in summer). The inland area of provence, languedoc or the south-west have regulary hotter summer high temperatures than the towns directly in the sea. This is usually not noticed on averages since the lows are lower in the inland than on the coasts.

When I was a kid, I used to live with my parents in the inland (About 30 km from Cannes). It was much cooler in winter than on the coast, but in summer, when it was something like 27°C on the coast we usually had about 32°C and more in the day time.

During the heatwave of 2003, Nice and surroundings were among the "coolest" areas of France with about 30°C, while much of the rest of southern half of France was turning around 40°C and more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/co1nco1n/1696963949/

Heatwaves usually do not hit the area around Nice, which stay moderately warm, but almost never extremely hot.

Here a more recent "average heatwave" (in August 2010) as there are two or three each year, as you can see Nice a little 26°C while many areas in southern France struggled between 34° and 41°C.
26th August 2010? Funny that was one of the coldest August days ever here in Buxton. Max of 12°C. What a difference a 350 miles makes.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:38 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
26th August 2010? Funny that was one of the coldest August days ever here in Buxton. Max of 12°C. What a difference a 350 miles makes.
This is not uncommon with record temperature events.

The summer of 1980 was famous for heat and drought here in the US. Dallas and Kansas City were particularly had hit with weeks upon weeks of triple-digit high temperatures ("triple digit" = 100 F, about 37.8 C, or greater)

Here in Detroit, in contrast, it was a historically cool summer, with the warmest days equaling, but not beating, the 87F (30.6 C) record high hit back on April 22 (in a usual summer, the hottest high of the summer is about 95F (35C) and 84 to 85F (29C) is an average July high..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather