Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHAT'S THE WEATHER GOING TO BE?
Look out the window 20 86.96%
Dial 411 information 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,329,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Where are we going to get our rerun documentaries about the Alaskan Coast Guard?
LOL

Another thing that annoys me is when people talk about the wind chill or heat index temp as if it were the actual temperature.

My mom is notorious for doing this, one time when I lived in North GA I asked her what the temperature outside was, and she says "0 F" I was like "wow!", I looked it up, it was 14 F with a windchill of 0 F. My excitement was about half gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 03:13 PM

26,796 posts, read 37,799,618 times
Many Canadians seem to have a psychological thing about -40 degrees.

When someone arrives here from another country, they always say things like "wait till you get a taste of -40 in the winter".

Except that, it's never been -40 in recorded history anywhere in the part of Canada where I live (southern Quebec and southern Ontario). The record low for where I live (across the river from the coldest city in southern Ontario, Ottawa) is -38C. And that was in 1933. So not many people who are talking about -40 around me were around to see that.

And yet people from Quebec City all the way to Toronto and beyond talk about -40 as if it was an annual occurrence.

(Now, Canadians further north and in some parts of the west would see -40 on an annual basis - or close to it.)

Old 02-13-2014, 03:17 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,329,932 times
If it was someone from Thompson, Manitoba saying that I would take them seriously. But someone from Toronto? Come on. Toronto struggles to get below even -20 C, when was the last time Toronto even hit -25 C?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:27 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,645,162 times
We have seen a -50C or colder windchill this year and colder than -45C a few times.
Coldest actual temp however was -38C.

Last -40C temperature was in 2007 when it went down to -42.something.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:48 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,713,208 times
"You think Minnesota winters are tough?! Go to Finland!"

Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,903,493 times
I hate when a completely normal warm front comes through followed by a cold front and people say "It's that unpredictable [insert state here] weather again" Or, "Only in [state] will it be 60 when you go to work and 30 when you go home" I heard it all the time back in Georgia and I here it all the time in Texas now. For one thing, anyone paying attention to the forecasts would know that a front was coming through so it's not unpredictable. And it happens so frequently at certain times of the year but for whatever reason it takes people by surprise every single time.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,401,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
LOL

Another thing that annoys me is when people talk about the wind chill or heat index temp as if it were the actual temperature.

My mom is notorious for doing this, one time when I lived in North GA I asked her what the temperature outside was, and she says "0 F" I was like "wow!", I looked it up, it was 14 F with a windchill of 0 F. My excitement was about half gone.
I hate this too. To be quite honest, I'm not a big fan of windchill readings, or a "feels like" index, or a heat index, or any of that stuff. It's pretty simple. If it's, say, 25F here, it seems to always "feel like" some lower value, so say it "feels like 18." But then if it's actually 18F, it "feels like" some lower value yet. So how do we know what 18 or 25 feel like in the first place if it doesn't usually "feel like" what it actually is?

Hopefully that makes at least some sense. Windchill factors can be useful, for sure, but maybe it shouldn't be expressed the way it is. Maybe it could be like the UV index where lower temperatures and stronger winds give higher values and there's some calculation behind this to give it some validity, but the values aren't expressed in terms of temperature. Same with the heat index.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 PM

26,796 posts, read 37,799,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
If it was someone from Thompson, Manitoba saying that I would take them seriously. But someone from Toronto? Come on. Toronto struggles to get below even -20 C, when was the last time Toronto even hit -25 C?
This winter I think. But this one has been a bit special.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,401,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Many Canadians seem to have a psychological thing about -40 degrees.

When someone arrives here from another country, they always say things like "wait till you get a taste of -40 in the winter".

Except that, it's never been -40 in recorded history anywhere in the part of Canada where I live (southern Quebec and southern Ontario). The record low for where I live (across the river from the coldest city in southern Ontario, Ottawa) is -38C. And that was in 1933. So not many people who are talking about -40 around me were around to see that.

And yet people from Quebec City all the way to Toronto and beyond talk about -40 as if it was an annual occurrence.

(Now, Canadians further north and in some parts of the west would see -40 on an annual basis - or close to it.)
When my Canadian friend (from the GTA) said he'd experienced -40 once I asked, quite simply, where/when. When he said in the Toronto area, I challenged that, as that's well below their record lows. So he said it must have been windchill. Who knows what standard of measurement was even used to arrive at that figure, as the calculation for windchill has changed over time. Just another reason I think it should be changed to avoid this constant confusion in people's minds with actual air temperatures.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:10 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,426,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I hate this too. To be quite honest, I'm not a big fan of windchill readings, or a "feels like" index, or a heat index, or any of that stuff. It's pretty simple. If it's, say, 25F here, it seems to always "feel like" some lower value, so say it "feels like 18." But then if it's actually 18F, it "feels like" some lower value yet. So how do we know what 18 or 25 feel like in the first place if it doesn't usually "feel like" what it actually is?

Hopefully that makes at least some sense. Windchill factors can be useful, for sure, but maybe it shouldn't be expressed the way it is. Maybe it could be like the UV index where lower temperatures and stronger winds give higher values and there's some calculation behind this to give it some validity, but the values aren't expressed in terms of temperature. Same with the heat index.
It's just sort of a dumbed down thing. To us, the wind speed or dew point should tell you immediately what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather