Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHAT'S THE WEATHER GOING TO BE?
Look out the window 20 86.96%
Dial 411 information 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,111 times

Advertisements

Over the media "70C in middle east", surely a thermometer-exposed-to-sun exaggeration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 01:28 PM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
I was just searching about a particular type of palm on another forum & I came across an old post from someone in Rhodes, Greece. He said he get gets 2 weeks of 47C temperatures every August & in June as high as 51C! The record high for Rhodes, as far as I can make out, is 41C

Old 08-09-2015, 06:54 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
When people say "the average low doesn't matter because I'm not out in the middle of the night" the low temperature occurs in the early morning right before sunrise...idiot.

For some reason, people seem to have this obsession that February is the coldest month and conversely August is the hottest month. I know it's true for certain locations but where these people post from it's usually January and July. I especially find it funny when people from the Midwest say February is the coldest month when in the grand majority of the Midwest, February is actually the warmest winter month.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:56 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,276,507 times
"It's always darkest before dawn." Most only use this as a figure of speech, but some actually believe it.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:47 AM

When people use the "you don't live here, so how do you know?" argument when trying to disprove you. Yes, because looking up data is so difficult in 2015.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,952,726 times
When people say that the whole of Australia is 40°C every day in the summer.

It is only the Desert/Pilbara regions.

Like Hobart is 40°C every day.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
When people say that the whole of Australia is 40°C every day in the summer.

It is only the Desert/Pilbara regions.

Like Hobart is 40°C every day.
Likewise, people say that everyone in FL thinks 10 C is cold. I'm sure in Tallahassee where in winter the average low is 4 C they think 10 C is absolutely freezing.

I love how everyone from other regions of the country loves to lump all of FL into one category, not realizing that you can drive 600 miles here and be within the state still.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Likewise, people say that everyone is FL thinks 10 C is cold. I'm sure in Tallahassee where in winter the average low is 4 C they think 10 C is absolutely freezing.

I love how everyone from other regions of the country loves to lump all of FL into one category, not realizing that you can drive 600 miles here and be within the state still.
With Victoria, people think that the entire state is always rainy. They forget about Mildura in the far north-west, which is semi-arid. I'll forgive that.

What's the absolute worst, is people saying that Melbourne has the coldest winters in the country. You would not believe how common that is. It's like Canberra/Hobart don't exist.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
With Victoria, people think that the entire state is always rainy. They forget about Mildura in the far north-west, which is semi-arid. I'll forgive that.

What's the absolute worst, is people saying that Melbourne has the coldest winters in the country. You would not believe how common that is. It's like Canberra/Hobart don't exist.
Lol Victoria sounds like Washington state here. People think all of Washington is this gloomy, rainy climate not realizing the eastern part of the state is essentially a desert.

What I notice a lot of people do here is associate Anchorage with winter cold, not realizing the most of the upper Midwest is much colder than Anchorage in winter. I guess people think "hey, it's Alaska. It must be colder."

I notice Americans make blanket statements about Canada as well, when Southern Ontario is hardly an arctic climate lol. People seem to think Canada is cold even in mid-summer here. I went to Canada in mid-July 2005 and you can't believe how many "was it cold?" questions I got. It was actually really hot when I went, 30-35 C with high humidity levels.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Lol Victoria sounds like Washington state here. People think all of Washington is this gloomy, rainy climate not realizing the eastern part of the state is essentially a desert.

What I notice a lot of people do here is associate Anchorage with winter cold, not realizing the most of the upper Midwest is much colder than Anchorage in winter. I guess people think "hey, it's Alaska. It must be colder."

I notice Americans make blanket statements about Canada as well, when Southern Ontario is hardly an arctic climate lol. People seem to think Canada is cold even in mid-summer here. I went to Canada in mid-July 2005 and you can't believe how many "was it cold?" questions I got. It was actually really hot when I went, 30-35 C with high humidity levels.
Yeah, I think Melbourne and Seattle are similar. I wonder if people from Detroit think that Toronto is much colder lol.

I kinda get the Alaska thing, I thought that way until I started discovering many other climates.

Also, Queensland is called "The Sunshine State". It can be quite cloudy on the coast in the summer. I believe Florida also has this nickname.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather