Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate
A 20 7.41%
B 56 20.74%
C 76 28.15%
D 52 19.26%
E 20 7.41%
F 46 17.04%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:25 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times

Advertisements

TBT flashback to Feb 27th 2015. One of the coldest Feb months on record. Just a couple days before meteorological spring it was -30C 50 miles outside the city limits of Chicago

Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Mar. 19-20, 1881:

Old 03-29-2017, 04:07 AM

Early Chicago climate data
https://books.google.com/books?id=KC...rature&f=false

These downtown/near lake locations compared with modern period (1981-2010) at Northerly Island (also downtown right on the lakefront. Modern period is significantly warm with annual mean that is +3.4F warmer in comparison. Wow.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
George you have complained in the past about the shoulder seasons in Chicago and how places like London have more consistent spring weather. I think we can chalk this up to winter instability in the eastern US. Same here. The only real stable season in eastern N. America is summer. The rest are kind of a crapshoot.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
George you have complained in the past about the shoulder seasons in Chicago and how places like London have more consistent spring weather. I think we can chalk this up to winter instability in the eastern US. Same here. The only real stable season in eastern N. America is summer. The rest are kind of a crapshoot.
I just posted a comment addressed to B87 on this topic. March and early April are too variable here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/47671663-post9402.html

I suggest that May through Sept are pretty stable overall. October not too bad either.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I just posted a comment addressed to B87 on this topic. March and early April are too variable here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/47671663-post9402.html

I suggest that May through Sept are pretty stable overall. October not too bad either.

I have seen some decent instability in late April and May here and in general in the Eastern US. I really think we only have June thru August. Even September can have a rapid cool down right after Labor Day with some high negative anomalies.

Seems that places with winter stability get more like 8 or 9 months of relative stability followed by a very short season of summer instability. Not the case here.

It comes down to North America being the most active frontal region on earth due to the north pole land connection and the huge oceans on either side. This causes fronts to constantly cross the continent and they cause instability in their coming and going. Huge warm up as they approach, and then rapid cool down after they pass. Less fronts in N. America and we would be more stable.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:05 AM

Spring storm produced quite an angry lake this past week

https://twitter.com/NWSChicago/statu...35176597151744

Old 04-09-2017, 11:54 AM

https://twitter.com/NWSChicago/statu...20441259438080

Old 04-09-2017, 01:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Gotta give it to ya George. You are consistent on Chicago. Consistently speaking in negatives and seeing the glass 1/2 empty. Sure we hate winters by far.

But most of the Western world at least has cold winters. Some nations do not have mild or no real winters regions in them. The US does. It means if it is a terrible feature for you to endure? You can move. You have Real Estate, investments and education in degrees to utilize in any move to finance a relocation? Then rather then lessen the region you live in? You choose to relocate to a more preferred one.

CHICAGOLAND is not in region known for probabilities of a Natural disaster. Texas mild winter sunbelt cities fast growing even. Are far more prone to Natural disasters. Flooding far more common in sever storms. To at risk for Hurricanes to Tornadoes. I don't think there is a area in Chicago. You can't purchase flood insurance. In omen Texas cities there sure are.

I would NOT build a home in much of Texas large cities directly on the normal slab. I'd chose either a garage slab-level or the 1st floor elevated 2-3 feet.

Ironically, Chicago had a very mild low snow fall winter this past one. In PA where I live. I had only one heavy snowfall week to endure. Was all a milder one in temps.

Do I hate winters? For sure. I firmly believe ----> If Chicago was on the East Coast south of DC at least or along gulf coast? Giving its awesome shoreline enhanced by a ocean even perhaps? It would be the FASTEST GROWING CITY IN THE UNBELT.

The city despite the debt and higher taxes. Is highly desirable that IF YOU COULD GIVE IT A MILD CLIMATE? CHICAGOLAND would be totally the Sunbelt boom-city.

Bing in the Midwest on a Great Lake. Just might be a GREAT asset if Climate-change is real and alters rain to temperature patterns in the Nation. No shortage of water for sure and unless super-tornados began or inundated with common torrential rains to continually cause flooding? Chi-Town will fire fare better then a Florida, Texas, Southwest or West coast.

I never judge a hole city merely by climate. Though I know it plays a BIG roll oday in choosing a city o relocate to or reason to relocate from.

As for the UK's milder winters in the out of the Isle especially. ----> The UK's weather is strongly influenced by the sea which surrounds the British Isles (Britain and Ireland). The sea warms up and cools down more slowly than land, keeping winters relatively warm but also making the summers cooler. Britain also benefits from a warm sea current called the Gulf Stream which originates in the Gulf of Mexico - this keeps the sea on the west side of Britain warmer (frosts are rare in these areas).

The UK is as far north as Scandinavia and they don't have the moderation from the ocean currents all the way from the Gulf of Mexico though.

You really should level the Mid-west given ALL ITS NEGATIVES YOU PROMOTE IN THREADS. It is a agenda in each thread, to slight the region. Especially CHICAGOLAND and state it is in.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Gotta give it to ya George. You are consistent on Chicago. Consistently speaking in negatives and seeing the glass 1/2 empty. Sure we hate winters by far.

But most of the Western world at least has cold winters. Some nations do not have mild or no real winters regions in them. The US does. It means if it is a terrible feature for you to endure? You can move. You have Real Estate, investments and education in degrees to utilize in any move to finance a relocation? Then rather then lessen the region you live in? You choose to relocate to a more preferred one.

CHICAGOLAND is not in region known for probabilities of a Natural disaster. Texas mild winter sunbelt cities fast growing even. Are far more prone to Natural disasters. Flooding far more common in sever storms. To at risk for Hurricanes to Tornadoes. I don't think there is a area in Chicago. You can't purchase flood insurance. In omen Texas cities there sure are.

I would NOT build a home in much of Texas large cities directly on the normal slab. I'd chose either a garage slab-level or the 1st floor elevated 2-3 feet.

Ironically, Chicago had a very mild low snow fall winter this past one. In PA where I live. I had only one heavy snowfall week to endure. Was all a milder one in temps.

Do I hate winters? For sure. I firmly believe ----> If Chicago was on the East Coast south of DC at least or along gulf coast? Giving its awesome shoreline enhanced by a ocean even perhaps? It would be the FASTEST GROWING CITY IN THE UNBELT.

The city despite the debt and higher taxes. Is highly desirable that IF YOU COULD GIVE IT A MILD CLIMATE? CHICAGOLAND would be totally the Sunbelt boom-city.

Bing in the Midwest on a Great Lake. Just might be a GREAT asset if Climate-change is real and alters rain to temperature patterns in the Nation. No shortage of water for sure and unless super-tornados began or inundated with common torrential rains to continually cause flooding? Chi-Town will fire fare better then a Florida, Texas, Southwest or West coast.

I never judge a hole city merely by climate. Though I know it plays a BIG roll oday in choosing a city o relocate to or reason to relocate from.

As for the UK's milder winters in the out of the Isle especially. ----> The UK's weather is strongly influenced by the sea which surrounds the British Isles (Britain and Ireland). The sea warms up and cools down more slowly than land, keeping winters relatively warm but also making the summers cooler. Britain also benefits from a warm sea current called the Gulf Stream which originates in the Gulf of Mexico - this keeps the sea on the west side of Britain warmer (frosts are rare in these areas).

The UK is as far north as Scandinavia and they don't have the moderation from the ocean currents all the way from the Gulf of Mexico though.

You really should level the Mid-west given ALL ITS NEGATIVES YOU PROMOTE IN THREADS. It is a agenda in each thread, to slight the region. Especially CHICAGOLAND and state it is in.

LMAO

Look through this thread you idiot and you will see that I'm quite fond of continental climates. Stop assuming you know my perceptions and oponions on the city I grew up in. You look like a fool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather