U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:38 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,275,414 times

Advertisements

For all you climate classification buffs out there, would you say places like Oceanside and San Diego are more similar to coastal Northern Chile or more similar to the climate of the real Mediterranean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 04:24 PM

8,915 posts, read 9,410,644 times
I'd probably say closer to Northern Chile as correct me if I'm wrong, the actual Mediterranean has much more convective activity and is more humid in summer. This is probably due to the much colder water off of the Pacific compared to the Mediterranean.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:01 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,275,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'd probably say closer to Northern Chile as correct me if I'm wrong, the actual Mediterranean has much more convective activity and is more humid in summer. This is probably due to the much colder water off of the Pacific compared to the Mediterranean.
I guess I should have been more specific about the location. Is San Diego is more like Iquique Iquique - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or like Rome Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?

I say it's somewhere right in the middle of the two, climatewise. Not NEARLY as bone dry or as temperate as Iquique but not offering as much diversity as Rome, which offers more seasonality, higher standard deviations, year round precipitation totals, humidity, and even occasional snow.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM

482 posts, read 559,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
For all you climate classification buffs out there, would you say places like Oceanside and San Diego are more similar to coastal Northern Chile or more similar to the climate of the real Mediterranean?
I wouldn't say "coastal northern Chile, more like central costal Chile.

For example, Valparaiso.

At 33S it is at a similar distance from the equator as San Diego.

It's climate is very similar to california right at the coast, almost identical climate to Santa Barbara.

Like deneb78 mentioned both climates feature the influence of a cold pacific ocean current.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:03 PM

6,504 posts, read 3,655,939 times
It's certainly not like the med itself. 3+ months of highs above 80f and warm humid nights are certainly the norm around the med.
I spent 4 weeks working near Palma de Mallorca a few years ago and I found the humidity on an evening more uncomfortable than what I experienced in NYC. As far as I'm concerned that place has the best summers on earth.

Coastal California is far cooler, the cold water there is certainly closer to Chile than the Med.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 PM

1,362 posts, read 2,056,046 times
More like coastal chile. The Mediterannean is a warm sea whereas both coastal Chile and coastal California (within the 'Mediterannean" latitudes) have a relatively cold ocean to the west. As for the desert of northern Chile and Peru - that extends farther north and is dryer then the other coastal subtropical deserts, but that's because the South Pacific is the largest ocean in the world and so its subtropical anticyclone is bigger and more intense than those of the other oceans.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM

11,516 posts, read 8,162,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
It's certainly not like the med itself. 3+ months of highs above 80f and warm humid nights are certainly the norm around the med.
I spent 4 weeks working near Palma de Mallorca a few years ago and I found the humidity on an evening more uncomfortable than what I experienced in NYC. As far as I'm concerned that place has the best summers on earth.

Coastal California is far cooler, the cold water there is certainly closer to Chile than the Med.

Your perception of the weather you experienced in NY and Mallorca is right on. NYC is not as humid as Mallorca. And San Diego, along the S. Calif warmer coast has lower dew points than both. So, no I don't think CA has the same Med climate as the Med itself. You have to go down the US East Coast to Ocean City, MD before you exceed the dew points in Mallorca.

The Med Coast is pretty humid in summer. Relatively high dew points and warm temps. Barcelona and Rome have higher dew points than NYC, but not Washington, DC.

Do you enjoy high dewpoints? If so, I suggest anywhere in the US South during summer. Take a look at Houma, Louisiana.

San Diego

Mallorca

New York

Ocean City, Maryland

Houma

Old 08-03-2013, 04:13 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
2,963 posts, read 2,017,715 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
More like coastal chile. The Mediterannean is a warm sea whereas both coastal Chile and coastal California (within the 'Mediterannean" latitudes) have a relatively cold ocean to the west. As for the desert of northern Chile and Peru - that extends farther north and is dryer then the other coastal subtropical deserts, but that's because the South Pacific is the largest ocean in the world and so its subtropical anticyclone is bigger and more intense than those of the other oceans.

Both are right. Therefore, dry summer season is much longer within both "mediterranean" coastal of Chile and California than the way dry season are in most of western european coast of Mediterranean sea.
I mean from Benidorm, Spain, to Naples, Italy, approximately, and it may include such places like Balearic archipelago, Corsica and maybe Sardinia islands, where they only have two or three months of average rainfall lower than 30 mm.

Southern Mediterranean coast of Spain from Benidorm to Gibraltar strait experiences longer dry season, thus summers there are warmer than southern coastal California ones.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 PM

11,516 posts, read 8,162,027 times
Doesn't seem to be like the Med to me in the case of humidity and temps(at least right on the coast of CA).

Quote:

Those summer temps in Palma look similar to Cape Hatteras area of NC, except warmer nights and warmer water at Cape Hatteras.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:52 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
2,963 posts, read 2,017,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Doesn't seem to be like the Med to me in the case of humidity and temps(at least right on the coast of CA).

Those summer temps in Palma look similar to Cape Hatteras area of NC, except warmer nights and warmer water at Cape Hatteras.
Just some coastal areas of Mediterranean coast experience high index of relative humidity during summer, but still they have a summer dry and sunny season, so it's not a subtropical humid climate like southeastern USA, where summer rain and cloudiness are common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather