Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate this climate?
A ++++++++ 4 11.43%
A 0 0%
B 9 25.71%
C 8 22.86%
D 12 34.29%
E 1 2.86%
F 1 2.86%
Z 0 0%
Z minus to the 100th power 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:54 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times

Advertisements

How would you rate this climate? Short winters with a moderate amount of snow followed by dry, comfortably cool springs gradually warming into dry, comfortably warm summers followed by a humid season of late summer and early fall monsoons with thunderstorms and heavy downpours and then a dry, comfortable fall before the short snowy winter comes back. A good balance of dry (only about 2 days of light rain on the average during each dry season month), comfortable weather, 2 months of moderate snow, and 2 months of summer thunderstorms and heavy rain.
Attached Thumbnails
Here's my idea of an A + climate: how would you rate it?-wonderful.jpg  

Old 06-03-2013, 03:59 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,647 times
too cold winter lows, too hot in the summer nights, warmish weather(march to october) too long, precipitation in the wrong months.
But still, considering all the ****ty climates Earth has I give it B-

Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Very interesting climate I rate it a C-/D summers are slightly too warm for me I like how there's a mini monsoon season and I also like the winters. But I think those record winter lows are a bit unrealistic...with a average December low of -7c I'd think the record low would be no higher than -20c. Also the warm season is a bit too long.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,455,466 times
Winters are too mild, summers are not awfully hot, but too long. C-.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:25 PM

This climate blends the "comfortable but boring" weather of where I currently live and adds a 2 month snow season and 2 month monsoon season while keeping a comfortable, dry with mild to warm temperatures for 8 months a year. Where I live it's totally bone dry in summer but I still kept around half an inch of rain per month in the drier months in this fantasy climate just to keep the hills from going brown. But since it's only about 2 rainy days per month, you'd still get be able to reliably plan outdoor activities during the dry months with less chance of rain-out than in more continental climates.

I kept the record lows high in relative to their averages on purpose as this climate does NOT have extreme cold snaps but gets a good amount of snow to enjoy for a couple of months. It gets more snow than Boston or NYC but has higher average winter highs so I'm going to say winter also has plenty of warm spells with highs in the 50s to alternative with those 30 F snowy days. Early summer days are warm but not too hot except for the occasional heat wave. Good swimming weather and warm enough nights to go out in shorts and a tee shirt. Then the thunderstorms come in August and September to provide some excitement but this will come AFTER a good 2-3 months of warm, dry weather.

One can enjoy the benefit of a dry half of summer to plan picnics, beach days, and all kinds of outdoor and water activities without the worry of thunderstorms, and then also enjoy the sound and light shows and downpours with the monsoons for the second half of summer and early fall. The only really bone dry month is November to provide comfortable, cool, dry weather as a break between the late summer and early fall monsoons and the upcoming snow.

I think this would be a totally enjoyable climate to live in as you get the best of both worlds.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 06-03-2013 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 04:33 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
D.. summers a bit too warm.. winters much too mild.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:12 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,748 times
Strange climate indeed... would be in D territory. But it seems to get some nice avg. max temps starting with March (but ending by September?) so D+.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,520 times
C. Temperatures are pretty good, except for the rapid drop/rise in the fall and spring. And the precipitation distribution is kind of weird... but I could live there.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Far better than I expected from you, but I'd like less of a dry season. I'd rather spread it out. Spring and early summer will be a monotonous and the vegetation will turn brown while the late summer precipitation is high enough to get rather inconvenient for outdoor activities (and probably a bit muggy). B+ maybe, it's strange enough I'd need to think a bit. A lot of snow considering the highs are well above freezing. Assuming a 1:10 precipitation ratio, it means nearly all the precipitation in January is snow.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Far better than I expected from you, but I'd like less of a dry season. I'd rather spread it out. Spring and early summer will be a monotonous and the vegetation will turn brown while the late summer precipitation is high enough to get rather inconvenient for outdoor activities. B+ maybe, it's strange enough I'd need to think a bit. A lot of snow considering the highs are well above freezing. Assuming a 1:10 precipitation ratio, it means nearly all the precipitation in January is snow.

Most of the precip falls as snow as January alternates between snowy and warm spells...e.g. during the snow it will be a high of 33 F and a low of 27 F and then stay cold for three days and then next week it will warm up for a few days for highs the 50s F with sunshine. The dry season is so people can plan outdoor activities easily ahead of time. One advantage to where I live and it never rains in summer is that people plan all these picnics, sports days, etc without worry about rain out. In "Wonderful" people plan all the summer outdoor activities in June and early July as they know then monsoons will come in August. Spring and early summer are dry still get a little bit of rain each month (half an inch is low but where I live we get ZERO rain in July and August). Then in late summer, people stay on their porch and enjoy watching thunderstorms and then go out after the rain. Then the dry period in October and November for cool to mild weather activities and then all the snow in late December and January. A climate that truly offers the best of ALL WORLDS without going to extremes.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 06-03-2013 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather