Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:50 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,586 posts, read 3,014,566 times

Advertisements

Maracaibo, Ciudad Bolivar, Venezuela; Jakarta, Indonesia seem to be the hottest. All ~28.5°C annual mean. Any other humid/wet places you might think are hotter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 02:36 AM

260 posts, read 477,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Maracaibo, Ciudad Bolivar, Venezuela; Jakarta, Indonesia seem to be the hottest. All ~28.5°C annual mean. Any other humid/wet places you might think are hotter?
But Maracaibo is a semi arid climate.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:

Valledupar

Valledupar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
I wonder if Mecca would still come out on top if heat indices/humidity/dew points are factored in?
Humidity in Mecca isn't so low as other cities with similar climates.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKREY View Post
But Maracaibo is a semi arid climate.
You're right. I'm just going by what I read in this thread. I read the temperature records on Wikipedia. Didn't realise this. Ciudad Bolivar is the same, I think. What about Valledupar, Colombia? Is it semi-arid?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
You're right. I'm just going by what I read in this thread. I read the temperature records on Wikipedia. Didn't realise this. Ciudad Bolivar is the same, I think. What about Valledupar, Colombia? Is it semi-arid?
Not Ciudad Bolívar is a tropical savanna climate as Caracas, but with slightly higher temperatures due to the low altitude.

Coro also has a semi arid climate with much less rainfall than Maracaibo.

Santa Ana de Coro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Valledupar also is a tropical savanna climate.

Just the annual rains in Caracas, Valledupar and Ciudad Bolívar are significantly smaller than other cities with similar climates.
Caracas is really surprisingly little rain considering its altitude.
Maracaibo is really hot, in January the temperature can reach 38-40 ° C, due to the sunny weather in winter (December to March) is almost no rain and the as whole sky is very clear.

Last edited by NICKREY; 07-02-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 11:39 PM

What about Vanimo in Papua New Guinea? The Wikipedia page says the annual daily mean is 29.7°C. Can you think of any humid place that's hotter?

Old 07-19-2013, 01:06 AM

688 posts, read 838,528 times
Quote:
What about Vanimo in Papua New Guinea? The Wikipedia page says the annual daily mean is 29.7°C. Can you think of any humid place that's hotter?
There is no way the mean minimum is 28.8C as stated by the wiki article. These wet equatorial climates tend to average closer to 23-25C and this is evident by looking at the climate data for such places, e.g Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Colombo etc.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 AM

6,478 posts, read 6,111,234 times
I wouldn't doubt the high in Vanimo. The low is probably closer to 25C. The mean is probably 27-28C.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 AM

287 posts, read 444,544 times
Hi everybody. I'm 21 years old and I write from Rome, so please forgive me if I make language mistakes. I have a big passion for weather and climate, especially for climate data and statistics. I just discovered this amazing board and I thought that I could have a good time here.

However, I discussed with an expert climatologist about this issue and he told me that, despite what wikipedia says, the hottest city year-round in the world (that means: the city with the highest annual mean) is Berbera, Somalia, with an average of 31.5°C. However, Mecca is a close second with an average of around 31° and it is the hottest major city in the world. Generally speaking the hottest cities year-round can be found in the climatic belt on the two shores of the Red Sea, where summers are extremely hot and humid but winters are still warm because of the low latitude; consequently cities such as Jizan, Aden, Djibouti City and Massawa have all an annual mean around 30°C or higher, and they're also very humid though not wet (Jizan can easily record 37°C with 65% humidity). Other cities with similar annual means are those on the southern Saharan border, like Bamako, Niamey and Khartoum, having a sort of desert climate with hot winters.

Outside this area it is very difficult to find such an hot climate, because of the lack of climate extremes in tropical climates (tropical and equatorial cities like Singapore or Jakarta usually have an annual average of 27°-28°) and the relatively cool winters of the desert climates like those found in the cities of Phoenix, Baghdad and Dubai. There are, though, some places with a wet and dry climate where temperatures can raise over the 30°-32° range for some months right before the monsoon season, like in Northern Colombia or in Thailand; here cities like Maracaibo and Bangkok have an average of 28°-29°, that become more than 30° in the middle of the urban heat island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather