Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 05:54 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,484,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Both of those places are warmer than NYC, and have dramatically different climates. NYC shouldn't look like them. It has much more in common with the American subtropics, and supports many species native to that region.
Yep, I see what you're saying ...., a different climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 05:59 PM
pdw

2,591 posts, read 3,016,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Isn't the question of greater relevance, what subtropical plants can't grow in NYC?
The plants native to New York are subtropical. Tropical plants can't grow there, but they can't in most of the subtropics, either.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,484,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The plants native to New York are subtropical. Tropical plants can't grow there, but they can't in most of the subtropics, either.
Many plants from other subtropical climates can't grow in NYC either eg- Sydney or the Azores. So there can't be a commonality to subtropical vegetation, therefore there isn't such thing as subtropical species.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:18 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,368,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
No kidding! No way should NYC be subtropical. Any climates that get so much regular snow for that matter should not be subtropical.

I like the listed locations here under the wikipedia subtropical article:

List of locations with a subtropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That list should even be shortened too, like Memphis and Norfolk removed.
New York City does not get regular snow. It averages 27 inches per year, which is still less than rain for its total winter precipitation. It is less than half the average snow fall as all the humid continental climates, so it certainly wouldn't qualify there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
New York City has spent $130 million on snow removal this year. It shouldn't have to be able to do this if it was subtropical.

NYC's snow-removal cost soars to near $130 million - Newsday
So what?

Did you not see that Texas, Alabama, and Georgia got hammered three times this winter with extreme winter conditions? Does that make them not subtropical too? The difference is they flat out don't carry the equipment. New York City has snow removal equipment because the rest of the state has a true humid continental climate.

I don't know how you can call NYC snow "regular" when statistically it is more likely to rain in its coldest month than snow.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:22 PM

5,592 posts, read 3,426,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Both of those places are warmer than NYC, and have dramatically different climates.
Ahh, excuse me for pointing out the obvious and sorry for yelling but THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WE'VE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG!!!

Old 03-22-2014, 06:40 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,245,100 times
Quote:
Ahh, excuse me for pointing out the obvious and sorry for yelling but THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WE'VE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG!!!
I can't say I've seen anyone imply they were the same, but I know I never did, neither of them even share the same climate type.

But even still, every [insert climate type] climate isn't the same, Dallas and Bermuda are both subtropical yet they have very different climates and geographies.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,630,010 times
Quote:
These people just don't get it. No point in reasoning with those who can't be reasoned with. I'm done here too.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:22 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,135,492 times
I would say its continental. Humid Subtropical is anything south of Atlantic city, NJ to be very exact. NYC gets the same amount of snow as Indianapolis and is cooler than Indy in the summer, yet why is it subtropical and Indianapolis continental .

The dividing line between Subtropical and continental is single Vs. double digit average snowfall totals in inches.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:43 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,592,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I would say its continental. Humid Subtropical is anything south of Atlantic city, NJ to be very exact. NYC gets the same amount of snow as Indianapolis and is cooler than Indy in the summer, yet why is it subtropical and Indianapolis continental .

The dividing line between Subtropical and continental is single Vs. double digit average snowfall totals in inches.
Like around Cape May, NJ?

For me I would say more like Virginia Beach, they have some Sabal Palms there.
Or northernmost area where Sabal Palms (Palmettos) naturally occur, SE North Carolina.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 AM

434 posts, read 1,033,937 times
NYC is subtropical. So is the South and most of Florida. Obviously all 3 are very diff weatherwise. NYC gets pretty cold. The South gets pretty chilly to cold. And Florida esp Orlando and south doesn't get much chill at all. When describing the weather of NYC it should be NYC has a blank subtropical climate. Or just call it something else. NYC high temps avg 30s-80s, most of the south avg highs are 40s-50s to near or in the 90s, and most of Fl avg highs are 70s-90s. So clearly different. But for the most part we know all this already anyway. Though NYC and Tampa subtropical we are for sure not going to bust out the shorts in NYC in Feb(unless a rare warm spell is occurring)at least most won't, but in Tampa in Feb we will more than likely be able to be in summer like attire. This is an old climate classification system from the 1800s-early 1900s, it just needs to be fine tuned, revamped, or just go by a new system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather