Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:10 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Vancouver hit 400 hours of sunshine in July just a couple of years ago. It's not that far north from Nice.

That sunny and wet October is indeed crazy.

As rediculous as the wettest April in Turku since 1981. 60 mm...
That was a nice winter break in February!

Creating a rainforest on these "subarctic latitudes" ain't easy though unless it's Alaska or Bergen Even though these lukewarm climates have warmer temps than those subarctic/tundra areas the inability to form heavy rainfall/snowfall in winter remain for some strange reason, in spite of the humidity and the intense cloud cover! The wettest year in Norrköping on record (!) is 750 mm I believe. During my four-year foray in Örebro I had two years beat that all-time record by the coast, so quite significant local variations too. It's a great shame neither Norrköping nor Örebro are represented at Météo Climat unfortunately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 05:28 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
That was a nice winter break in February!

Creating a rainforest on these "subarctic latitudes" ain't easy though unless it's Alaska or Bergen Even though these lukewarm climates have warmer temps than those subarctic/tundra areas the inability to form heavy rainfall/snowfall in winter remain for some strange reason, in spite of the humidity and the intense cloud cover! The wettest year in Norrköping on record (!) is 750 mm I believe. During my four-year foray in Örebro I had two years beat that all-time record by the coast, so quite significant local variations too. It's a great shame neither Norrköping nor Örebro are represented at Météo Climat unfortunately
Turku averages 723 mm a year, and this is in the wetterst part of Finland. IIRC the wettest year in Helsinki was 890 mm, and their data goes back to the 1820's.

Of course, during much of the year convection is low and Bergen and other poor souls take the steam off frontal systems.

edit:

Rozenn, which one do you like less: 1) That rainy August in Turku 2) Copyrighted images posted on C-D?

Last edited by Ariete; 03-25-2017 at 05:39 PM..

Old 03-25-2017, 07:10 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Cherrypicked LaGuardia. Starred months are the warmest...so pretty much everything except the summer and September is the warmest ever. Lol

January 2006*
February 2017*
March 2012*
April 2010*
May 1991*
June 1952
July 1966
August 2006
September 2015
October 2007*
November 2001*
December 2015*

Some observations:

1. Even the record warm April still looks like absolute ****. It's actually closer to the warmest December on record than to the warmest May on record and this is the warmest April by quite a bit, the second best April is like 2.5F colder on average

2. October's average lows are almost 10F (!!!) warmer than April's. Wtf?!?!

3. Despite being the warmest February on record it was actually snowier than average

4. That September-December period looks absolutely amazing. Comfortable stable temperatures without any extreme cold and nice precipitation

5. Nice rainfall. Not significantly drier or wetter than the real New York

6. Solid climate overall, I'd give it a B. Maybe B+ if we can get a better April for there soon *hint hint*
Attached Thumbnails
Rate 'cherrypick Turku' and create your own-idealnewyork.png  

Old 03-26-2017, 05:18 AM

808 posts, read 710,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Cherrypicked LaGuardia. Starred months are the warmest...so pretty much everything except the summer and September is the warmest ever. Lol

January 2006*
February 2017*
March 2012*
April 2010*
May 1991*
June 1952
July 1966
August 2006
September 2015
October 2007*
November 2001*
December 2015*

Some observations:

1. Even the record warm April still looks like absolute ****. It's actually closer to the warmest December on record than to the warmest May on record and this is the warmest April by quite a bit, the second best April is like 2.5F colder on average

2. October's average lows are almost 10F (!!!) warmer than April's. Wtf?!?!

3. Despite being the warmest February on record it was actually snowier than average

4. That September-December period looks absolutely amazing. Comfortable stable temperatures without any extreme cold and nice precipitation

5. Nice rainfall. Not significantly drier or wetter than the real New York

6. Solid climate overall, I'd give it a B. Maybe B+ if we can get a better April for there soon *hint hint*
Man, that's a wimpy April!

Isn't the average high in April in the 60-62 range?

I am liking the record high in the 70s in December. Overall a solid climate; the grade would certainly be higher with a better April as you said!

Old 03-26-2017, 10:16 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Yeah, that April has an average high 4°F cooler than Paris' warmest. I would've expected better from New York! I bet Central Park has a warmer one though.

Quote:
Vancouver hit 400 hours of sunshine in July just a couple of years ago. It's not that far north from Nice.
To be fair to Nice's awesomeness in the summer sunshine department, that 391 h July would translate into a 409 h July in Vancouver and a 469 h one in Turku. More importantly, the cloudiest July would still clock 367 hours of bright sun if Nice had Turdku's daylenght. Also, the 311 h March had exactly the same sunshine percentage as the 391 h July, something more surprising given Nice's lackluster springs.

Quote:
As rediculous as the wettest April in Turku since 1981. 60 mm...
That's a bit sad. May flowers better have something else than April showers to rely on there.

Quote:
Rozenn, which one do you like less: 1) That rainy August in Turku 2) Copyrighted images posted on C-D?
I'd get a good old Irene rant over either.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yeah, that April has an average high 4°F cooler than Paris' warmest. I would've expected better from New York! I bet Central Park has a warmer one though.

To be fair to Nice's awesomeness in the summer sunshine department, that 391 h July would translate into a 409 h July in Vancouver and a 469 h one in Turku. More importantly, the cloudiest July would still clock 367 hours of bright sun if Nice had Turdku's daylenght. Also, the 311 h March had exactly the same sunshine percentage as the 391 h July, something more surprising given Nice's lackluster springs.

That's a bit sad. May flowers better have something else than April showers to rely on there.

I'd get a good old Irene rant over either.
Sure, I'm not denying that Nice isn't awesome with the sunshine.
BTW, 270 hours in March is also 79% of daylight, just like 442 hours in July.

Well, she has at least tried to be a bit more nice in her previous incarnations. You know... everyone deserves a 70th chance...

Old 03-26-2017, 04:38 PM

79% sure is plenty enough. Those sunnniest Nice months were both 84%. Together with the lack of rain and warm to hot temps it can feel OTT if you live in a dense city center.

Quote:
That sunny and wet October is indeed crazy.
I was intrigued by it and checked the daily records. It appears that nearly every day was close to cloudless bar a few days at the beginning of the month... and the 13th with its 191.4 mm. People back then must've wondered WTF was going on.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
In 2011 a Canadian friend of mine visited me in Nice for a few days as a part of a multi-city trip in Europe.

I told him beforehand that absolutely every summer day was warm to hot, dry and with at least some sunshine.

This is the day he chose to arrive. You can't make this up.

16°C with thundery rain at 1pm. There might have been others, but this is the only day I can recall in my life when midday in summer in Nice felt anything else than summery. There might have been the very rare instance of being 21°C and partly cloudy/showers or so, but bad mid-November weather in July was absolutely exceptional and unheard of.

Thankfully we ended up spending the next two days at the beach

Old 03-27-2017, 05:07 PM

While I wish Nice had more summer tstorms, if they come with such temps they can stay at bay. That looks like something out of a bad Parisian summer.

Not as extreme, but last summer when a couple friends from Paris visited they visited at the same time as a cold front. They arrived on July 15 and while the temps weren't that bad, dew points were pretty low and it definitely felt less summery than the rest of the month. Ironically Nice had been branded as some sort of Manaus-on-the-Med by another friend that visited in the middle of one of the hottest summers on record, including the warmest night ever. Needless to say they weren't impressed by the temps, though appreciated the sunshine.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:09 PM

When I was in Nice Helsinki was warmer, this happened in May. Boke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather