Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,544,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
yeah B87 always defends london and tries to make it sound like it actually has decent climate, but it really is weak.
Its true that london is not as wet as people think and it does have good weather SOMETIMES, but most of the time yeah, its pretty bad and depressing, good summer happens like twice in a decade which speaks for itself.
Not my fault that since 2007, every summer has been either colder, wetter or cloudier than average (and usually all of those together).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 PM

13,439 posts, read 8,976,645 times
Why do so many "new" posters keep starting or digging up old threads in order to slag off the climate of London/the UK??

If I were a conspiracy theorist I could think they may not actually be "new" members at all...

Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,468,175 times
^^ well, duh.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 PM
B87

Just saw some great nonsense about a minimum of 2 days rain a week, and how it is impossible to have 40 dry days in a row. LOL.

Then trying to prove it by using an incorrect forecast for 1 week of a mostly below average month.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,856,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Once again your post has no statistical evidence to back up what you're saying.. good summers twice a decade? Look at the 90s and the early part of the last decade - good summers aplenty. Consistently above-average. Sorry if you arrived in the UK too late to enjoy them, but I guarantee you they occurred.

Well maybe now your paying for those good warm summers with below average ones. That is how it usually balances out.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This exactly!! Nobody is trying to say that the weather in London is fantastic, its just nowhere near as bad as people (those that have never lived in the UK) make out. Even Russians with 6months of digging snow and temperatures that drop to -20 or more will tell you London weather is the pits!!!! LOL, the truth is that the weather in London is temperate which as far as I can see really isn't a bad thing! No tornados, no killer cold or brutal heat, no monsoon rain (London has less annual rainfall on average than Paris, Rome or Istanbul) or famine causing droughts, yes London gets less sunshine than a lot of other Euro cities but despite what you may think the sun does actually come out pretty regularly you know!! I mean come on what's so terrible about that! As usual its proving impossible to dispel stereotypes, this site is full of people making stereotypical comments about all parts of the world and calling them facts despite most of the time never even going to the places they seem to think they're expert about!

I agree. I've been to London in different kinds of weather. It is not as bad as many make it out to seem. But it is rather cloudy compared to here. That being said you are going to tell me that certain posters or particularly one poster doesn't always tweak the facts to portray London as sunnier, warmer, etc. etc.? It is very obvious to a lot of us. But yes these exaggerated portrayals of London with eternal gloom and rain are laughable, and I don't even live there. But I've been there around 5 times and had all different kinds of weather.

I also wish some of you Brits would come over here in winter, so you can dispel the myth we live in the Arctic. I left London in a 45F January day, arrived in Philly to mid 30's, clear blue skies, no wind, much higher sun, and I felt euphoric like I arrived in Spring. It just seemed so bright and the sun so much stronger that I didn't mind the colder temps. Our normal winter weather pitted against normal London weather isn't really much different when you live it. The problem is we here never get the stable winter weather you get. We get fluctuations all over. I'm glad I didn't return to Philly on one of our 14 average ice days per winter. Windy temps in the 20's would have felt terrible compared to London.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Not my fault that since 2007, every summer has been either colder, wetter or cloudier than average (and usually all of those together).

Nature just balancing out the above normal summers. The fact you are getting these summers means that maybe your summers are not warming indefinitely, but temps are just getting back to average.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 PM
B87

Where exactly have I 'tweaked' the facts? Everything I have said can be backed up by the Met Office averages.

Last edited by B87; 06-17-2013 at 10:57 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 PM

42 posts, read 111,773 times
^^ I knows many Brits makes seem like NY, Boston, Philly winters are arctic. Most days are sunny and not as cold as you may think, especially with no wind.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUGal View Post
^^ I knows many Brits makes seem like NY, Boston, Philly winters are arctic. Most days are sunny and not as cold as you may think, especially with no wind.

Not all, but many do. There are many cities in central Europe, like Zagreb, which are colder than Philly. Even cities in Italy, yet you rarely hear them call those places arctic like in winter. Milan has a winter mean 1.3F warmer than our three month winter mean temp here. Yet we are artic and bitterly cold. Do most Europeans think of Milan as bitterly cold and arctic like?

The UK is surrounded by water. Cause of that they get milder winters, but cooler summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather