Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM

839 posts, read 3,074,419 times

Advertisements

It's interesting to see how each one is "defending" what he/she thinks is a high value. Some consider a warm to hot summer something valuable and so stand up for it. But others like me, consider a warm to hot summer precisely a nightmare, something to avoid.

When some forumers praise Buenos Aires' summers, I can understand they are heat lovers and I can appreciate their appraisal in a way, but I can't put myself in their shoes. For me there's almost nothing "good" about the summers where I live and I'd change a BA summer for a London summer in a heartbeat.

All in all, I agree that the average person likes a warm summer with little rain and much sun. And I also agree that there is a stereotype about London being cloudier, cooler and foggier than it really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
nice sterotype about Russia too
It seems that for some people, stereotypes are bad and wrong when they concern his country, but are absolute truths when concerning others...

Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2222 View Post
I used the hottest month, July, to compare. Now if we compare the whole summer, than Buxton is a lot warmer. I should have said I was comparing Julys, not summers.
Then you should have said "Julys in Buxton" not "Summers in Buxton" because summer means all three months, and then also specified maximum temperatures only.

And anyway, there's no real point in comparing the max temperature of the warmest month in a place much further north like that with ones on a maritime climate island, because you are comparing a continental climate with a maritime one. It's apples and oranges. I would still choose Buxton's summers anyway, because I hate cold summer nights.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Yes but conversely there are those in foreign lands who are extremely ignorant about the climate in the UK, believing that it rains every day & that our winters are like something out of a Dickensian novel!

I don't see it as making it out to be better than it is, merely sticking up for the climate there, which pretty much everyone does for where they live. And yes many people prefer a warmer summer, but myself (& no doubt some others) prefer milder winters, that is what appeals more to me about London...

What I don't like is how everyone seems intent on slagging off London lately, yes the climate isn't perfect but it isn't the worst in the world either. Many of those doing the slagging off have probably never even been to London either or are basing their opinions on the last few crap summers or station data from a WS miles away from the city itself...
This EXACTLY!!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,267,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
It seems that for some people, stereotypes are bad and wrong when they concern his country, but are absolute truths when concerning others...
haha excatly!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post
Then you should have said "Julys in Buxton" not "Summers in Buxton" because summer means all three months, and then also specified maximum temperatures only.

And anyway, there's no real point in comparing the max temperature of the warmest month in a place much further north like that with ones on a maritime climate island, because you are comparing a continental climate with a maritime one. It's apples and oranges. I would still choose Buxton's summers anyway, because I hate cold summer nights.
I was comparing July means, not highs.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:03 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,748 times
Even so, you were still wrong. The differences were actually 0.9 and 0.8°C. And like I said clearly the first time, comparing the hottest month of a continental climate like that is silly against a maritime one, continental climates generally have hotter summers (and colder winters) for their latitude. So no point was being made here. And even so it was a bad choice because those places are still some way colder than Buxton in their warmest months.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:15 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
Ahh what an amusing thread, very funny.

Although actually, it was 159F here yesterday and it rained all day, yet we still managed to record 29 hours of sunshine out of a 24 hour day.
It was a dry heat though so it wasn't too bad in the shade.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:59 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
I think there is a greater tendency to make climates seem worse, rather than better.

I often see posters say that Oceanic climates have spring like summers, which is correct when comparing temperatures. However, when they say that it would feel actually feel like spring, then I think that is incorrect and an example of making climates seem worse.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
I agree with the above. People always say it rains in the uk and it can actually be nice sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather