Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you wear on a typical Vancouver winter day?
T-shirt & Shorts 8 12.50%
Sweater & Jeans 18 28.13%
Light coat & long pants 27 42.19%
Parka & heavy pants with longjohns 8 12.50%
Spacesuit 3 4.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 1,474 times

Advertisements

Vancouver's winters aren't that cold about (1-8 c or 33-46 f) on a typical winter day but it's very humid which makes it feel colder + rain= fairly cold/unpleasant weather:

cloudy: shorts + t-shirt + hoodie
raining: shorts (jeans if windy) + t-shirt + raincoat
wet snow (Vancouver rarely gets dry snow): jeans + t-shirt + light winter jacket
sunny: shorts + t-shirt (depends on wind as well)

Abnormally cold days probably a couple times each winter (-5-10 c or 14-23 f):

snow: jeans + t-shirt + hoodie + jacket (maybe gloves)
clear: jeans + t-shirt + hoodie
cloudy: jeans + t-shirt + hoodie (maybe gloves)

It's basically Shanghai or London but a tad colder.

If you're coming from a tropical country, add an extra layer or get a thicker jacket. If you're coming from the Prairies, it'll be a different type of cold that seeps through your clothes, but it'll still be better than most harsh Prairie winter days. Typically, I prefer other winters (Toronto, NYC) with actual snow and clear days, as it feels more pleasant but Vancouver is a beautiful city so don't let its winters scare you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 08:44 AM

245 posts, read 142,816 times
tshirt+jacket+ possiblehoodie

Old 07-31-2018, 12:03 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,458,123 times
A rain jacket and a sweatshirt on a day that has average temperatures.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:53 PM

529 posts, read 556,142 times
I’m always amazed at the total lack of sartorial awareness that is so typical of most North Americans.
It’s not a matter of being comfortable: it’s a matter of being appropriate. You want to wear T-shirt and shorts on a 10C summer day while hiking over mountains? That’s perfectly fine.
You want to wear the same outfit on a 10C winter day? Feel free to, if you don’t mind to be considered an imbecile

Old 07-31-2018, 02:01 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Jeans, T-shirt or light long-sleeved shirt and fleece jacket. I'm from California and 30s-40s feels pretty cold to me.

That ad is hilarious. The headline basically says, "Walking Sleeping Bag: They say that if you have this, even if a bear comes after you in the middle of the night, you can get up and run away. But it's doubtful it you can get up that much speed."

Old 07-31-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
I’m always amazed at the total lack of sartorial awareness that is so typical of most North Americans.
It’s not a matter of being comfortable: it’s a matter of being appropriate. You want to wear T-shirt and shorts on a 10C summer day while hiking over mountains? That’s perfectly fine.
You want to wear the same outfit on a 10C winter day? Feel free to, if you don’t mind to be considered an imbecile
What? It can hit 70°F where I live in the winter and if that happens I'll wear short sleeves. Are you supposed to wear a parka when it's 50-70°F in the winter?

Old 07-31-2018, 03:39 PM

769 posts, read 479,555 times
Sweatshirt with a jacket and pants... you're crazy if you wear shorts when it's 5C and raining.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post
Sweatshirt with a jacket and pants... you're crazy if you wear shorts when it's 5C and raining.
I agree wholeheartedly with that... You'd probably be asking for hypothermia...

Old 07-31-2018, 06:49 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Assuming the "typical" day in question is somewhere outside the summer months...fleece + raincoat + long pants. Adjust the fleece/raincoat combo as needed if you are too hot/cold...raincoat because you never know out here with the rain. I always just expect it to rain if it's not the summer months. Really it depends what time of year though we are talking about.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:49 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Assuming the "typical" day in question is somewhere outside the summer months...fleece + raincoat + long pants. Adjust the fleece/raincoat combo as needed if you are too hot/cold...raincoat because you never know out here with the rain. I always just expect it to rain if it's not the summer months. Really it depends what time of year though we are talking about.
The thread is about winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather