Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 09:22 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
I'll be seeing similar. Saturday morning low will be in the 60s HUMID AND UNCOMFORTABLE.
Disgusting for December . Shorts do not make sense this time of the year. Should send all that warmth to Vancouver so that Deneb can enjoy water sports and warmth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
This didn't really feel like a good weather year for Seattle most of the time, especially compared to the year 2009, and outside of a few days in Early May/Latest June, most of July, and Earliest August.

There was around 85 out of 90 cloudy days in a row from Middle August all the way to Middle Late November, 3 months of almost endless cloudiness. =/ This was horrible and devastating timing of the year in Late Summer, and into almost of Autumn. To make it worse, weather meteorologists forecasted around 12 sunny days during that entire time frame, especially in October, and they were wrong for every single one of those days, it ended up very cloudy, dark from marine layer clouds from Puget Sound.

I prefer more warm to hot temperatures in the summer months, and the city of Seattle never got above 88 to 90 degrees this entire year of 2013.=/ There is zero warm 70 degrees+ t-shirt days since September 11th and this might continue all the way into June next year. =/

The dominating pattern the next 5 months or next few months is most likely temperatures in the 40s, perpetual cloudiness, and drizzly rain in Seattle Pacific Northwest. If it is very cloudy, there should be heavier rain to make it more interesting with weather, more temperature variation between mild, warm, cold, and some colder weather for snow. I select NYC, Chicago, Colorado, and California weather compared to average annual Seattle weather.

However, despite the weather, and outside of the annual weather, I like living in the city of Seattle for this time of my life for plenty of reasons, and moved from NYC to Seattle 5 to 7 months ago. I enjoy the move, and at the same time, I notice annual weather is one of other reasons to move out of Seattle within 2 years. I am in NYC right now for 20 days before getting back to Seattle, nice to see moderate snow, plenty of days with sunshine+clouds, temperatures close to 70 degrees, heavy rain, and thunderstorms in the same week, that would never happen in the middle of an Oceanic winter in Seattle.

Keep in mind.....from a climatological perspective....most of what you say (and I understand your frustrations)...are fully to be expected in an higher latitude oceanic climate.

The quick changing pressure griadients....frequent cloudy skies....cool summers....modest variation in temps (in both winter and summer)....few truly warm/hot days....few truly cold days....etc all to be expected.

I spent a year in Northwestern France....and learned at an early age oceanic climates were not for me either

Old 12-19-2013, 09:50 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
There IS a feeble snowcover in the Tri-State area (NYC/NJ/CT) right now.

The big question is WILL IT STILL BE THERE AFTER THIS WEEKEND? My guess is no.

NWS and WC just updated their NYC highs again - now showing it could get near 70 F on Sunday!!:

Not feeble as of now in Northern New Jersey. Here there's about six inches on the ground. Sure I expect it to melt, but it's been white here for over a week. As of noon I see a forecast high of 65 F for NYC.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:29 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Here's Another amazing look at a January like scene and its only mid December.

Typically these waters don't freeze over until January

Connecticut River.

https://twitter.com/river_quest/status/413412486616866816

I just took this picture this morning of the frozen Norwalk Reservoir near here..

Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Not feeble as of now in Northern New Jersey. Here there's about six inches on the ground. Sure I expect it to melt, but it's been white here for over a week. As of noon I see a forecast high of 65 F for NYC.

In the burbs of Philly there is just enough snow cover to make for perfect Christmas landscapes. Beautiful pics btw. White snow blue skies. Very nice. If winter were like today for three months I wouldn't mind a bit.

I just hate the ups and downs. I'm quite used to lows in the 20's and highs in the 30's now. Snow cover minimal enough to not disrupts sidewalks or traffic at all.

These warm temps are going to mess up my whole body thermostat.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:53 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
In the burbs of Philly there is just enough snow cover to make for perfect Christmas landscapes. Beautiful pics btw. White snow blue skies. Very nice. If winter were like today for three months I wouldn't mind a bit.

I just hate the ups and downs. I'm quite used to lows in the 20's and highs in the 30's now. Snow cover minimal enough to not disrupts sidewalks or traffic at all.

These warm temps are going to mess up my whole body thermostat.
Thanks. Unfortunately the weather will be bipolar for the upcoming week. I don't mind a couple thaws during the winter, but they're too frequent here. Mud and slush abound. Would be nice to maintain the snow pack at least for Christmas, but it doesn't look like that will happen. I don't think it's too much to ask for a few weeks of snow cover, but I know wavehunter is rubbing it in our faces despite living in an area with several months of reliable warmth. A White Christmas would be a nice treat, but this weekend's warmth and rain will ruin it.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:02 AM

234 posts, read 214,680 times
A really blah day here. Very mellow outside at 28F and as you can tell no sun at all. NWS is still holding back on the approaching winter storm and what it will produce. Watching the track which will determine how much snow to get. The one thing they are in agreement with is there is ample Gulf moisture feeding this low and watching the timing of the approaching cold front from the NW to engage the lake effect after getting the snow from the storm. So it's going to be a double hit and will be interesting to see how this all ends.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Waiting to see that huge frigid low and when it will be here. Amazing how low that jet stream goes in the maps. Not looking forward to more sub zero temps. Stay warm, folks. Great photos and maps, thank you all who posted.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Waiting to see that huge frigid low and when it will be here. Amazing how low that jet stream goes in the maps. Not looking forward to more sub zero temps. Stay warm, folks. Great photos and maps, thank you all who posted.
Speaking of Jet... Not only will it dive down south Texas again but this will mean severe weather is possible right before the holiday. That would suck for Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas.. Notice another high dropping down from Canada. (I love it when West side of the Hudson is colder, better chances for it to get here) and notice the East.

Curious how far the ridge pumps up. I agree with this that the Jet stops over New England.

On that note... possible ice storm for some folks in northern New England. Cold Air Damming and a warm 850mb layer.

Random forecast pick in New England. Wish I was there.
NOAA National Weather Service

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2013-14 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-map100.jpg  

Old 12-19-2013, 12:07 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Here is the pristine snow pack we have today just before it melts. I am going to miss my loved white Christmas a lot, and can already sense the warmth and humidity building . Why did Sucky warmth have to make it up the coast during this part of December.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather