Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 PM

234 posts, read 214,664 times

Advertisements

This was put out about an hour ago from the NWS here.

The Mackinac Bridge Authority has closed the Mackinac Bridge until further notice. US-2 remains closed with reports of about 20 accidents. Emergency management reports road conditions are rapidly deteriorating across Cheboygan, Emmet and Charlevoix Counties with slick roads and whiteout conditions. Travel is very difficult to nearly impossible on Beaver Island.

I tried to get the webcam shots of the bridge, but they are completely covered over with snow. I was able to get a view from one of their other cams looking south over the bridge. It's not as good a quality, but it's something. You can just make out one of the overhead info signs for the NB traffic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
we have so little snow we have bare ground in spots.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:04 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
we have so little snow we have bare ground in spots.
Wow, we have almost no bare ground. Everything's snow covered. Just how I like it. These last few days have reminded me of Amherst, MA, when I was there in January and February 2009. It's not just the snow cover, but the cold, and feeling that this will just persist indefinitely. Nice to know we ARE occasionally capable of sustaining such a fantastic winter scene. Our periods of snow cover are usually far too short-lived for my liking.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:21 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
The snow really compacted/melted here, the snow depth looks less than a third of what it was when it first fell.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
we got at most an inch for the storm a few days ago. Not really a storm for us.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
4 corner look at the 3:25pmEST temps

Old 01-24-2014, 01:47 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The snow really compacted/melted here, the snow depth looks less than a third of what it was when it first fell.
I just went out and measured. We got 8 inches in the storm. I measured 5'' in my front yard which faces south and gets the sun all day, and 6.5 inches in my backyard which stays in the shade.

It has not been above freezing since the storm. Not even close, really: the highs for the last 3 days, including today, were 15, 21, 19, starting from Wednesday. So the 1.5'' in the backyard is gone entirely through sublimation. In the front, some melting from solar heating but mostly sublimation, I would guess. What are the sources of heat in the areas you think caused this? Sometimes snow depth cannot be reliably gauged just by looking at it. Or is the UHI effect there really that strong?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:13 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Wow that's crazy the Central Louisiana got a nice snow today, I'm very jealous of you guys. Did schools stay open?

NWS calling for snow, freezing rain, sleet, and rain Tuesday night with a low of 24 F here, TWC also calling for a wintry mix Tuesday night and Wednesday here.
All schools and colleges in the area closed for the day, and many businesses as well, since a lot of people don't know how to drive in conditions like this in Central La. Schools close even if there is a trace of ice/snow.

The elevated parts of the interstate were closed and also some bridges. It's been below freezing all day, so the snow has stuck around. Unfortunately, a lot of it will probably melt during the day tomorrow since the high is in the upper 50's.

Last edited by ral31; 01-24-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 03:04 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I just went out and measured. We got 8 inches in the storm. I measured 5'' in my front yard which faces south and gets the sun all day, and 6.5 inches in my backyard which stays in the shade.

It has not been above freezing since the storm. Not even close, really: the highs for the last 3 days, including today, were 15, 21, 19, starting from Wednesday. So the 1.5'' in the backyard is gone entirely through sublimation. In the front, some melting from solar heating but mostly sublimation, I would guess. What are the sources of heat in the areas you think caused this? Sometimes snow depth cannot be reliably gauged just by looking at it. Or is the UHI effect there really that strong?
Sorry, I thought we received more snow than we did, we got 7-8" (I thought it was 10"+) and there's 2.5-4" left on the ground, so about half has compacted/melted. And even though it was below freezing I witnessed snow/ice in the sun melting, the grass is even peaking through in some sunny spots.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Whats more amazing to me is the fact that its still powdery mountain like. I just shoveled some more to clean up a little bit around the driveway...

Not only is it rare to get high ratio snows when it falls around here, but to have it stay powdery days later is pretty cool..

9 inches fell, there's 5 inches on ground still. I haven't gone above 20°F in 3 days. but I'm losing snow to evaporation and sunlight. This is just from now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather