Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Good question, I'm not sure lol. I know the local NWS station is about 500 feet up. Elevation in my town varies from 400-1,260 feet (maybe higher?). Highest point in NJ is 1,800 feet. Lots of hills.

Highest elevation in Bergen County is 1,100 feet. I can actually see NYC from that point. The climate here isn't too dissimilar to NW NJ...just maybe a tad warmer.

Highest elevation in Morris County is 1,300 feet.
Wow...I had no idea there were points that high in NW NJ. I'm mostly in the Cape May - Atlantic City area when I'm in New Jersey, so of course it's a totally different elevation perspective. I do remember that part of the reason that tubing down the DE Water Gap is fun is the change in elevation from NW to SE (I think).

As far as seeing NYC from the highest point in Bergen County...I can see that. Here in southern CT, before the Twin Towers fell (and maybe now again that a single tower has been rebuilt)....once could see the top of the towers from the top of the tallest buidings in Stamford and New Haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 06:34 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

If a solution is shown with just one run, it can be mentioned but not taken seriously.
Then why say it?

Because that is what today's weather/MARKETING is all about = HYPE. Some will take one model run (they know DARN WELL is pure fantasy) and try to hype into a HEADLINE!

To an old climo person like myself, I think the model hype has ruined weather as a science. Those hyped forecasted are why people laugh in the face of a person when they tell someone they are a meteorologist these days. Our local TV meteorologist is a joke, people laugh at everything she says, and I feel bad for her, she IS a college graduate, but the TV station NEEDS ratings.

Let's at least have some logic and reason...and some understanding of basic regional climatology.....rather than throw out wild computer fantasy forecasts just to get some attention or a headline.

Is meteorology a science...or the Jerry Springer show?

Last edited by wavehunter007; 10-24-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Temperature (24 hour max/min): 6.8 °C /0.6°C

No first frost yet, but we still got our first snow accumulation with a thin coating of snow on rooftops and vegetation.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times
We finally have a below average spell yay

Old 10-24-2013, 08:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Temperature (24 hour max/min): 6.8 °C /0.6°C

No first frost yet, but we still got our first snow accumulation with a thin coating of snow on rooftops and vegetation.
that's a weird situation. But I've seen that happen before.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Most of Long Island (eastern Queens through Suffolk) and parts of southern Connecticut are officially in a drought.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/N...htMonitor.aspx

And I can't believe it's snowing so much in Cleveland.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

how much snow are they getting?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Then why say it?

Because that is what today's weather/MARKETING is all about = HYPE. Some will take one model run (they know DARN WELL is pure fantasy) and try to hype into a HEADLINE!
Why? Because it's an interesting possibilty that's fun to track. No one's claiming it's real. It's a weather forum, not an official forecasting group. If you're not interested, you don't have to watch. I often ignore them until the posts untitl the models seem more certain. Still, it's nice to see really early forecasts in the making. As I said before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Cambium never claimed it was likely, nor did he ever claimed there was snow forecast for any of the northeast cities. No is claiming snow in November is common, either. Some people find it interesting to see there is a model showing a potential for an unusual weather event, such as snow in the (interior) northeast. Occasionally some of the "fantasy" forecasts become a reality, such as the October snow storm in 2011. Or Hurricane Sandy. Many more fizzle out. It can fun to watch and see.
[quote]To an old climo person like myself, I think the model hype has ruined weather as a science. Those hyped forecasted are why people laugh in the face of a person when they tell someone they are a meteorologist these days. Our local TV meteorologist is a joke, people laugh at everything she says, and I feel bad for her, she IS a college graduate, but the TV station NEEDS ratings.

That's just silly. Weather forecasting quality and accuracy have improved dramatically mainly because of models. It's how meterology works:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/ma...pagewanted=all

Quote:
Let's at least have some logic and reason...and some understanding of basic regional climatology.....rather than throw out wild computer fantasy forecasts just to get some attention or a headline.
And as Cambium posted, regional climatology does support snow in the northeast in November. Not every year, but it does happen.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
wow today is the first time it actually feels like fall. forecast high is only 80f and right now it's a cool 74f and somewhat surprising this is our low for the day despite the sun being up for the past 3 hours.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:09 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
that's a weird situation. But I've seen that happen before.
Several inches of snow can lie if its 1c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather