Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 01:05 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,590,013 times

Advertisements

I've spent a few weeks in Seattle during winter. It was rather gloomy and damp. I remember it as the time when I really start to consider the effect climate could have on people's moods- something I'd never really thought about before.

I remember when I caught the bus to head south after my time in Seattle, that I felt really happy to be heading towards sunnier climes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 01:39 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I've spent a few weeks in Seattle during winter. It was rather gloomy and damp. I remember it as the time when I really start to consider the effect climate could have on people's moods- something I'd never really thought about before.

I remember when I caught the bus to head south after my time in Seattle, that I felt really happy to be heading towards sunnier climes.
Unfortunately, its not just winter or November-March when there is the bad type of cloudy weather in Seattle. This also happens in Spring April-May most years with rather few exceptions, and usually persists into Early Summer almost all of June and then begins again Early to Mid Autumn. =/

Late Summer and Autumn: Late August, September, October is sometimes vulnerable to extreme cloudiness, especially this year.

It really feels like July, and half of August is the only consistently reliable sunny weather time in Seattle. This July recorded around 400 sunshine hours, but then August probably had less than 200 hours mostly only in Early August, September below 50 sunshine hours, and October below 25 hours... There is July, and then there is the rest of the year in Seattle, and too many years having up to 10 months of mostly endless cloudy weather.

Sunshine hours below 70 hours for an entire month seems pretty common for at least 7 months of the year in Seattle, and sometimes up to 9 to 10 months. Then there is some winter months with below 10 sunshine hours the entire month such as December 2012 last year: Weather History for Seattle Boeing, WA | Weather Underground

Yeah, I never believed this before weather is able to have such a negative effect on people, including mood, but now I believe this is able to happen sometimes. I don’t think I can live in Seattle Pacific Northwest Long term anymore, mostly just because of weather and I never expected to feel like this about weather. I plan to move to San Francisco-Berkeley California within 2 years. However, I am moving for other reasons too.

Most of Australia and New Zealand never has to worry about Seattle weather happening over there. Then again, there was someone from Melbourne making it sound like Seattle weather actually happens there.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:23 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,098,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Don't get used to any warm up out east. Warm anomalies wont last

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seems as if those recurving cyclones in the Pacific are going to keep the second half of autumn colder then normal for much of the eastern US

Europe will stay mild. Bastardi sees a similar pattern like that of 2009. We all know how that winter ended up

Wet in Northwest Europe

One heck of a storm on the way for the English Channel

I'm still waiting for my first low below 20c.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM

29,450 posts, read 19,548,873 times
Hope it doesn't come when I'm there this Thanksgiving

Old 10-27-2013, 05:37 PM

83,414 posts, read 74,950,464 times
I just wish that Jet would stay put buckled in the East.

Some graphics on whats coming up

Old 10-27-2013, 06:07 PM

NOAA is analyzing 52-foot waves with the strong storm about to affect the UK. Buoys - which are nowhere near the center of the storm - have quoted 38-foot waves in the last 12 hours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPrFcbZ7xs4

Old 10-27-2013, 09:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,098,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Hope it doesn't come when I'm there this Thanksgiving
neither do I. I want it to happen before. historically we should see temps our first night with temps in the 50s by Nov 7 so the fact we still haven't seen temps in the 60s yet is really quite shocking.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
I noticed since September 12th, and up to now October 27 it was cloudy everyday, especially in the morning hours-early afternoon hours. There was maybe just 3 days since September 11th where there was very brief sunshine late afternoon hours and then going back to cloudy almost right away. It felt like Seattle had 45 cloudy days in a row since Middle of September.
Looking at what happened...it looks like an Upper Level low was stuck and parked in the area but not sure for a month. Last month might have been another reason. ULL's produce cloudy/cool conditions constantly. I would love for an ULL to sit over me in the winter for a long period.

Attached is the current map. The ULL moved south to California now.

Some snow reports from Montana this morning

-----------------
0300 AM HEAVY SNOW 15 SW DUPUYER 48.06N 112.76W
10/28/2013 E9.0 INCH TETON MT MESONET
ESTIMATED 9 INCHES OF NEW SNOW IN THE PAST 7 HOURS AT
THE DUPUYER CREEK SNOTEL. ELEVATION IS 5750 FEET.

-----------------
0100 AM HEAVY SNOW 11 WSW BABB 48.80N 113.67W
10/28/2013 E6.0 INCH GLACIER MT MESONET
ESTIMATED 6 INCHES OF NEW SNOW IN THE PAST 7 HOURS AT
THE MANY GLACIER SNOTEL. ELEVATION IS 4900 FEET.

----------------
0400 AM HEAVY SNOW 11 SSW EAST GLACIER PAR 48.30N 113.33W
10/28/2013 E8.0 INCH GLACIER MT MESONET
ESTIMATED 8 INCHES OF NEW SNOW IN THE PAST 10 HOURS AT
THE PIKE CREEK SNOTEL. ELEVATION IS 5930 FEET.
Attached Thumbnails
Fall 2013 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-map94.jpg  

Old 10-28-2013, 05:00 AM

29,450 posts, read 19,548,873 times

Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 AM

That same storm Chicagogeorge posted above will drag a cold front into the East. NWS Boston says winds at 2-3,000 feet will be 70mph. That could mix down to the surface and give us 40-50mph wind gusts Friday! Then another cool down Sunday thereafter

http://forecast.weather.gov/product....&highlight=off

CLASS NORWEIGAN CYCLONE MODEL UNDERGOING THE MATURATION PHASE AS IT
LIFTS THROUGH THE GREAT LAKES INTO SOUTHEAST CANADA. AS SURFACE TO
MID-LEVEL HIGH PRESSURE SHIFTS SOUTH AND EAST...RETURN SOUTHERLY
FLOW OF THE WARM-MOIST CONVEYER BELT DOMINATES.

CONCERNING WINDS...WILL SEE INCREASING SOUTHERLY FLOW AROUND 2-3 KFT
AGL LATE THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY WITH SPEEDS UP TO 70 MPH. THIS IS
LIKELY THE CONSEQUENCE OF BOUNDARY-LAYER DECOUPLING AS WARM-AIR
ADVECTION ALOFT LIMITS MIXING. WILL NOT RULE OUT STRONG AND GUSTY
WINDS ESPECIALLY ALONG THE SOUTH-SHORELINE OF NEW ENGLAND INCLUDING
CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS. WINDS MAY REACH AND/OR EXCEED WIND
ADVISORY CRITERIA

Euro 00z says 50-60mph wind gusts at surface for Eastern CT/MA & RI

Last edited by Cambium; 10-28-2013 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: Added Discussion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather