Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you want central heating and/or AC in this comfortable climate?
No need for cental heating or AC ever! 2 4.65%
I'd prefer central heating but no need for AC; could live without either if need be 6 13.95%
I'd prefer AC but no need for central heating; could live without either if need be 3 6.98%
I'd need central heating but not AC; would prefer AC though 5 11.63%
I'd need AC but not central heating; would prefer central heating though 3 6.98%
I'd need central heating but no need for AC at all 5 11.63%
I'd need AC but no need for central heating at all 8 18.60%
I'd prefer both heat and central AC but could live without either if need be 8 18.60%
I'd absolutely need both central heating and AC 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,033 times

Advertisements

As some of you guessed, the climate is San Jose which I live near (my microclimate has slightly higher daytime highs than San Jose in summer though). Yes, I do use both heat and AC at times but not consistently. Most summer nights are cool enough to even feel a bit of an early morning chill so opening a window at 7PM and leaving it open all night will do. However, heat waves can be as hot as 100F (nighttime lows around 70 F so still in the low 80s at 11PM), so AC comes in HANDY. But if push came to shove and money was tight, I'd be able to sleep with the window wide open and the fan blowing on full speed.

The winter is our rainy season so the average diurnal range is a lot less; during wet weather it's more like 55/45 F (sadly never cold enough to snow ) while during dry weather it can be something like 30F/65F (frost in the AM but short sleeve weather at the peak of the afternoon). Heating comes in handly most winter nights and mornings but if push came to shove and heating bills were an issue, I could easily stay warm on those frosty nights by using extra blankets and wearing a thick robe in the morning.

I think it's possible to live without heat and AC in our climate but it's still nice to have; as expected the cold-lovers wanted the AC but were okay without the central heating and the heat-lovers wanted the central heating but no AC.

I think the only climate where NO ONE would want AC or heat is my fictional climate of Comfortville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 PM

473 posts, read 666,652 times
I would definitely want to have heating. Temperatures 15C and below are very unpleasant to me indoors when I'm just sitting around and not moving about. On the other hand A/C would not really be needed, though it would be handy to have in heatwaves. On a typical summer day I would not need it as nights are cool and days aren't really that warm anyway.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,969,896 times
In this climate I would on my AC for months.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:59 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,161 times
When buildings are well conceived, in adaptation with thir location's cliamte, there is no need for AC actually.

Traditional architecture in places with traditionally warm summers are often weel adapted to these conditions and can keep being fresh without AC. The "problem" in the US is that the typically American wood-framed typology of houses, well adapted to climates with cold winters isn't very efficient to protect from the heat, and as such the need for AC.

That's a bit inadapted to build those kind of houses in places like Phoenix actually. In the "old world" places with Phoenix climate (such as the middle east) use to be build in heavy materials, large walls and small window (with shutters). That's also the case in most places in Europe; taditionall wood architecture for houses is mostly spread in places with colder winters: Scandinavia, Russia, and in high altitude montainous places (chalets).

In my perent's home in Provence, the house is build with local traditionnal construction technics; despite the average highs in summer are around 32°C in summer but the house keep naturally be cool (around 26°C) without any need of AC.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
Yes, I would. With average highs in summer of 82F my house will get pretty uncomfortable and A/C will be needed to bring the temperature down to an optimal level. I could do without heat in winter but the temperature will be too cold for comfort at night, so I'd use heating.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Yes, I would. With average highs in summer of 82F my house will get pretty uncomfortable and A/C will be needed to bring the temperature down to an optimal level. I could do without heat in winter but the temperature will be too cold for comfort at night, so I'd use heating.
I am not surprised that you would want AC but am quite surprised that you would use the heat on our winter nights since you are like the most cold-tolerant person on here. The house gets down to about 50 F without heat on a typical winter morning (ive experienced this when our furnace was broken and also when coming back from vacation to an unheated house) and I thought that was shorts and tee shirt weather for you. during cold waves where it gets down to 25 F, the house would still probably stay around 40 F (I dunno for sure since we had the thermostat set to 65 during the day and 55 at night when we had our cold snap). I thought anything above freezing was casual wear weather for you- no jacket needed.

Anyway, I guess you still like your indoor climate in the same range as room temperature- you just like the outdoors to be really cold.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:31 AM

688 posts, read 841,326 times
AC and heat will be needed for a few days each a year in this climate to be fully comfortable.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
AC and heat will be needed for a few days each a year in this climate to be fully comfortable.
But far less needed than in continental humid climates though

Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
TBH, I'm not a big fan of central heating, not when it's overused. When I was in college and lived on campus, my school always overheated every single building, including residence halls. I usually had to sleep with a fan on, or (as long as it wasn't too loud outside), sometimes I'd even open a window, even if it was below freezing outside. My last year there I actually remember being really happy when April came around because I could look forward to cooler, more comfortable inside temperatures because that's when they switched heat for AC. In contrast, my parents are not as keen to waste money by using too much heat, so I always just put on an extra layer or two if I'm cold inside. Maybe heating might be a good idea in San Jose's climate for those rare occasions when freezing pipes might occur, but as the question is presented, I sure would not want heat for personal comfort.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Probably not. The winter would have a rather chilly house, but bearable. Sun exposure and insulation would make a difference. Perhaps a space heater would be helpful. But 50°F indoor temps are too cold, IMO. With a closed house, mine gets a bit warmer without heat at those outdoor temps. Would be survivable in the summer without A/C — large fan would be ok for hottest days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather