Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think that's the point of climate classification - to identify basic climate types.

Cfa is of interest to me, because it includes the term subtropical. To me, "subtropicalness" is best defined by which natural environments (flora, fauna ) reflect the changes between tropical and temperate zones.

By concentrating on summer temperatures alone, somewhere like NYC can be elavated in such a way, that it doesn't truly represent a progression of climates, from warmer to cooler.
There are thresholds for both summer and winter though, and places like NYC and DC make the grade. You'll see both northern and southern vegetation in both cities. Both of them are pretty mild overall, very much in between tropical climates and true continental climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,018 times
well, i think it would be a better idea to start using continentality just as a meassure of annual temperature amplitude, instead of reserving it only for the cold climate types, like Dfb. the categories could be ultra-maritime (10C< yearly amplitude), maritime (10-15C yearly amplitude), submaritime (15-20C amplitude), subcontinental (20-25C amplitude), continental (25-30C amplitude), ultra-continental (30C+) and then dennote each of this contintality types with some kind of letter. then you could use the annual average temperature as a measure of whether the place is subarctic (0C<), cold temperate (0-6C), warm temperate (6-12C), subtropical (12-18C) and tropical (18C+) and dennote each of these by a couple of letters

So, according to this system, new york would be subtropical continental, while say, Rome, would bee labeled subtropical submaritime.

this would probably be a bad match to the genetic climate zones, biomes and so on, but at least it would solve this ever ongoing subtropical definition debate.

Last edited by kronan123; 08-06-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,971,646 times
Sorry but this doesn't solve it, as there will be some amplitude / different averages. Anyways, I think P London's idea is great, although I'd change it a bit - I'd change it to 'borderline tropical', 'subtropical' and 'borderline temperate'. (HK = borderline subtropical, Jackson = subtropical, NYC = borderline temperate) That should help confusions.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
well, i think it would be a better idea to start using continentality just as a meassure of annual temperature amplitude, instead of reserving it only for the cold climate types, like Dfb. the categories could be ultra-maritime (10C< yearly amplitude), maritime (10-15C yearly amplitude), submaritime (15-20C amplitude), subcontinental (20-25C amplitude), continental (25-30C amplitude), ultra-continental (30C+) and then dennote each of this contintality types with some kind of letter. then you could use the annual average temperature as a measure of whether the place is subarctic (0C<), cold temperate (0-6C), warm temperate (6-12C), subtropical (12-18C) and tropical (18C+) and dennote each of these by a couple of letters

So, according to this system, new york would be subtropical continental, while say, Rome, would bee labeled subtropical submaritime.

this would probably be a bad match to the genetic climate zones, biomes and so on, but at least it would solve this ever ongoing subtropical definition debate.

I agree with the continentality index but I would change the temp thresholds
Annual temp
<5C subarctic
5-10C cold temperate
11-15C warm temperate
>16C subtropical

Old 08-06-2013, 10:21 PM

473 posts, read 666,868 times
I agree that the seasonal range should be used to define whether a climate is continental or not, however it should be adjusted depending on latitude, so places like Alice Springs will be considered continental with a seasonal variation of 17C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I agree with the continentality index but I would change the temp thresholds
Annual temp
<5C subarctic
5-10C cold temperate
11-15C warm temperate
>16C subtropical
If it were up to me I would have 15C as the boundary between cold and warm temperate, after all, 15C is about the world's mean temperature. 6C as warm temperate is just crazy, that would mean somewhere like Montreal is warm temperate!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 AM

452 posts, read 709,406 times
This is the most amazing thread! I live in Florida. I've always considered Florida to be sub tropical (and like most old native floridians, don't consider the panhandle part of Florida, although I know the capital is up there somewhere).

We consider 50 to be really cold, cold enough to warrant a fire, but don't consider 85 hot. Where does Florida fall into this?

(Again, brilliant thread, love to see people's minds at work and working together!)

Since I'm having to go back and forth to the celsius/fahrenheit converter, I'm getting lost.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
This is the most amazing thread! I live in Florida. I've always considered Florida to be sub tropical (and like most old native floridians, don't consider the panhandle part of Florida, although I know the capital is up there somewhere).

We consider 50 to be really cold, cold enough to warrant a fire, but don't consider 85 hot. Where does Florida fall into this?

(Again, brilliant thread, love to see people's minds at work and working together!)

Since I'm having to go back and forth to the celsius/fahrenheit converter, I'm getting lost.
Florida is on the transition of the Humid subtropical to tropical climates.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:44 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
Sydney isn't exactly humid subtropical nor oceanic. I think 'warm temperate' would be a better tag for it.

Sydney's nothing like Hong Kong, Brisbane, Orlando in terms of humidity. Maybe it's subtropical, but not exactly humid (I mean, you gotta be very humid to get that title behind you).

Old 06-05-2014, 04:23 PM

25 posts, read 63,497 times
NYC making it into the humid subtropical classification is largely due to the urban heat island effect. In the metro area only NYC proper makes it, and maybe immediate coastal areas of the south shore of LI and Jersey shore..and that's a stretch. Only the 5 boros for sure meet the definition. The coldest month (Jan) avg temp is above freezing. In NYC the urbanization that keeps overnight low temps milder than surrounding areas is the boost to get it into humid sup tropical. Places just outside city limits like Newark, White Plains would not.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:20 AM

824 posts, read 688,427 times
I noticed that you seem to be using high temps, in that respect the amount necessary for subtropical should be dropped to about 10*C. That way places like Atlanta would make it. My city has avg jan highs between 10 and 14 C, and it only snows about once a year, and people will wear short sleeves in the winter.

(based on some data I looked up, the border would be somewhere in NC for the east coast)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather