Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more wintry
London 18 48.65%
Richmond 19 51.35%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

These winter ones are tricky. I'm going to say Richmond, because it gets more frequent winter weather - that is snow and ice.

London may be cloudier (and bleaker), but I don't associate cloudiness with winter anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Richmond obviously as it's far colder...

And winter is December, January, February & always has been, not quite sure why anyone would try to disagree with that?
I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. A diff in winter means of 1.8F is "far colder". What are you basing this on?

Do you consider Hopewell, VA southeast of Richmond by about 15 miles, "far warmer" than London since the winter mean in Hopewell is 43F (warmer than London by 1.4F)?

I still think a huge metropolis like London has quite a large UHI that is impacting these means. When you go outside London in any direction the winter means drop a little bit. I'm not sure but why is Gravesend, southeast of London, colder than London in winter? Same for other locations outside of London. When you go to Williamsburg or Hopewell, points southeast of Richmond, the winter means are warmer. Hopewell, VA is 2F warmer than Gravesend comparing winter mean temps.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
There's only about 4 pages of this thread worth reading because of the bloody keyboard warriors.

Anyway, in MY experience I would definitely say London would feel colder, although Richmond has more proper wintry days.
The longer days and stronger Sunshine do make a difference. Obviously Richmond is colder at night, but it will feel warmer through the day.

I know the temperatures are similar, but the people arguing that London would feel warmer have quite obviously never felt similar temperatures at a much lower latitude. There is quite a noticeable difference.

And before anybody questions my opinion, I live in England, and I've experienced Norfolk, VA.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
This has been a very close contest so far!

Old 08-09-2013, 04:18 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. A diff in winter means of 1.8F is "far colder". What are you basing this on?

Do you consider Hopewell, VA southeast of Richmond by about 15 miles, "far warmer" than London since the winter mean in Hopewell is 43F (warmer than London by 1.4F)?

I still think a huge metropolis like London has quite a large UHI that is impacting these means. When you go outside London in any direction the winter means drop a little bit. I'm not sure but why is Gravesend, southeast of London, colder than London in winter? Same for other locations outside of London. When you go to Williamsburg or Hopewell, points southeast of Richmond, the winter means are warmer. Hopewell, VA is 2F warmer than Gravesend comparing winter mean temps.
I meant far colder in terms of extreme minimums. Richmond gets much colder lows in winter than London, the means are only a little cooler due to Richmond getting extremes, where it can be warm one day & freezing cold the next...

It doesn't matter if London has a large UHI, all big cities do. Those temperatures are being recorded, it doesn't really matter why...

Gravesend is in Kent, close to the Thames estuary, it isn't a city so doesn't have any UHI effect. It does however often record the highest temperatures during the summer months though. It also depends on what direction the wind is blowing. An easterly or north easterly there during the winter will be cold, but due to it's location minimum temperatures wont be as low as places further west, but a north westerly or westerly will actually be colder as the air will have to travel far over land...

Old 08-09-2013, 05:09 AM

775 posts, read 1,169,817 times
Alternative thread title: Another "carefully chosen city to give London the warm edge" thread.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
Alternative thread title: Another "carefully chosen city to give London the warm edge" thread.
Not really, London has warmer mean temps and is drier. Richmond has warmer highs, more snow and more sun. There wouldn't be much point in having a London vs Jacksonville or a London vs NYC winter battle, would there?

Of course, you just like to poke fun at pretty much everything I post though.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I meant far colder in terms of extreme minimums. Richmond gets much colder lows in winter than London, the means are only a little cooler due to Richmond getting extremes, where it can be warm one day & freezing cold the next...

It doesn't matter if London has a large UHI, all big cities do. Those temperatures are being recorded, it doesn't really matter why...

Gravesend is in Kent, close to the Thames estuary, it isn't a city so doesn't have any UHI effect. It does however often record the highest temperatures during the summer months though. It also depends on what direction the wind is blowing. An easterly or north easterly there during the winter will be cold, but due to it's location minimum temperatures wont be as low as places further west, but a north westerly or westerly will actually be colder as the air will have to travel far over land...

But if you are going to use extremes, then I can say Richmond is far warmer due to the much warmer temp records that occur in winter in Richmond. Also, Richmond gets more 60F days than London. A town 15 miles from Richmond is warmer than London.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
How many ice days does London average a winter?

Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How many ice days does London average a winter?
Heathrow: 1
Central: 0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather