U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 AM

658 posts, read 1,242,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I've brushed snow and scraped ice off of a car, in a snowstorm at 15 degrees F before. (That's about -9 C.)

It must boil down to people's physiology. I'm guessing that Puerto Ricans whose ancestors for many generations also lived their whole lives in Puerto Rico developed a genetic adaptation to the climate. Darwin's theory of evolution is a load of poop but the "adaptation" aspect of it is entirely correct. We adapt to our circumstances, over time. I'm guessing that's what came into play with people whose ancestry is entirely from hot climates. Mine is entirely from cold climates. I get cold just like everyone, but it takes lower temperatures for me than it does for most people. Except, of course, my friend Gahre - "Gary" - from high school. He was Scandinavian... I don't remember what country, specifically. You want to talk about COLD... they get really cold up there. Gahre wore a T-shirt and shorts every day of the year, whether he was outside or inside. In four years, I saw him wear pants ONCE and I never saw him wear a jacket at all. He was an equipment guy with the marching band and I distinctly remember being at Giants Stadium in February for a competition... it was in the low 20's... we were outside the whole time... I had my uniform on, with thick clothing underneath. I was cold. Gahre had on a T-shirt and shorts, and he was comfortable.

Therefore, I have reason to believe that we like the climate in which we feel the most comfortable. For some, it's a frigid winter climate. For others, it's a searing summer climate. For still others, they prefer everything in moderation... for the rest, they can't stand extremes of any kind, ever. The good news is that there are climate profiles for everyone... you just have to live in your ideal climate area.
Do you want a cookie? I've scraped ice off my car windshield at -10 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm sure Midwest people and Canadians can quote a much colder number. Like you walk outside and your eyeballs freeze. Just kidding about that one - you'd die long before your eyeballs froze!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 AM

16,206 posts, read 7,640,126 times
Quote:
I've brushed snow and scraped ice off of a car, in a snowstorm at 15 degrees F before. (That's about -9 C.)

It must boil down to people's physiology. I'm guessing that Puerto Ricans whose ancestors for many generations also lived their whole lives in Puerto Rico developed a genetic adaptation to the climate. Darwin's theory of evolution is a load of poop but the "adaptation" aspect of it is entirely correct. We adapt to our circumstances, over time. I'm guessing that's what came into play with people whose ancestry is entirely from hot climates. Mine is entirely from cold climates. I get cold just like everyone, but it takes lower temperatures for me than it does for most people. Except, of course, my friend Gahre - "Gary" - from high school. He was Scandinavian... I don't remember what country, specifically. You want to talk about COLD... they get really cold up there. Gahre wore a T-shirt and shorts every day of the year, whether he was outside or inside. In four years, I saw him wear pants ONCE and I never saw him wear a jacket at all. He was an equipment guy with the marching band and I distinctly remember being at Giants Stadium in February for a competition... it was in the low 20's... we were outside the whole time... I had my uniform on, with thick clothing underneath. I was cold. Gahre had on a T-shirt and shorts, and he was comfortable.

Therefore, I have reason to believe that we like the climate in which we feel the most comfortable. For some, it's a frigid winter climate. For others, it's a searing summer climate. For still others, they prefer everything in moderation... for the rest, they can't stand extremes of any kind, ever. The good news is that there are climate profiles for everyone... you just have to live in your ideal climate area.
Scandinavia is very very mild for its latitude....if you would have said Nunavut I would have been more impressed plus 15 F is not that cold....even to a Floridian. Not very impressive.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:33 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,260,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Scandinavia is very very mild for its latitude....if you would have said Nunavut I would have been more impressed plus 15 F is not that cold....even to a Floridian. Not very impressive.
15 F is "not that cold"?????? YES IT IS!!!!!!! Remember, I feel cold under 50 and my whole body basically shuts down around 25 degrees. But yes, 15 is VERY cold.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,207,172 times
15F, what's that in celsius? Once it was -9C here and I had to go outside and I really thought I was going to die. That was with two fleeces, a hat, gloves, scarf, coat etc...

Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 AM

16,206 posts, read 7,640,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
15 F is "not that cold"?????? YES IT IS!!!!!!! Remember, I feel cold under 50 and my whole body basically shuts down around 25 degrees. But yes, 15 is VERY cold.
Meh, 15 F is run of the mill winter weather to me. Yes, cold for sure but it's nothing to brag about. 15 F happens on most years from Macon, GA northward. Happens even in northern Florida on certain years. When I used to live in northern GA (50 miles north of ATL) 15 F would happen like 6-8 times a year. Nothing special.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:41 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,510,732 times
Quote:
Except, of course, my friend Gahre - "Gary" - from high school. He was Scandinavian... I don't remember what country, specifically. You want to talk about COLD... they get really cold up there. Gahre wore a T-shirt and shorts every day of the year, whether he was outside or inside. In four years, I saw him wear pants ONCE and I never saw him wear a jacket at all.
Is this an urban legend or something? Or then Gary was from Mars. All people definitely wear jackets, gloves and hats when it's 15F. In case you didn't know, Scandinavia is extremely mild for its latitude. Minneapolis is colder in winter than where I am at 60N.

These guys are the only ones that don't use hats:

Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,375,211 times
I almost never wear hats or gloves, even if it's snowing heavily. I remember taking a walk one morning in January, it was -7C with thick freezing fog, and I did not need a hat or gloves. They irritate me and make my hands and head too warm. My hands felt cold at first but I didn't even notice after a few minutes. Plus, I can't take pictures with my gloves on.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:18 AM

688 posts, read 650,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
The summer lovers don't like summer for its actual conditions, but for the activities summer brings, such as outdoor activities, beach etc and the increase in daylight.

How can anyone seriously like hot, sticky and dirty air? Compared with fresh, cool and clean air?

Summer is horrible.

It's not even summer here in Sydney, Australia but the increasing warm temps and daylight is already makin me cringe.
Going by your previous posts you hate everything about Australia, so it's no surprise you should find fault in what is otherwise a very enviable climate. However, I'm sure if you lived in LA, you'd be boasting about how awesome that it is 20C and sunny in January.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,510,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I almost never wear hats or gloves, even if it's snowing heavily. I remember taking a walk one morning in January, it was -7C with thick freezing fog, and I did not need a hat or gloves. They irritate me and make my hands and head too warm. My hands felt cold at first but I didn't even notice after a few minutes. Plus, I can't take pictures with my gloves on.
But you're Kaul. No, I don't NEED a hat if it's -7C, but it's more comfortable. But gloves and a winter jacket, hell yes.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Meh, 15 F is run of the mill winter weather to me. Yes, cold for sure but it's nothing to brag about. 15 F happens on most years from Macon, GA northward. Happens even in northern Florida on certain years. When I used to live in northern GA (50 miles north of ATL) 15 F would happen like 6-8 times a year. Nothing special.
It's my average January morning temperature. Sure it's cold, but not really noteworthy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or