U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:42 AM

3,180 posts, read 3,347,740 times

Advertisements

In the winter, I'm the opposite of miamihurricane. I'm comfy at a room temp. of 15 C (59 F). For sleeping, I prefer 12 C (55 F).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:43 AM

5,901 posts, read 7,952,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I would say 21C is neutral, rather than warm or cool.
Yeah, but using a sweater? He is sounding like a porteño

Old 08-12-2013, 12:45 AM
B87

10,824 posts, read 6,912,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Yeah, but using a sweater? He is sounding like a porteño
I sometimes wear a hoody in my apartment where it's around 21c.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,654,914 times
I hate summer weather and love the cold, but obviously most people are heat lovers when you consider what the popular destinations are, and what kind of weather is glorified in pop culture.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:46 AM
B87

10,824 posts, read 6,912,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
In the winter, I'm the opposite of miamihurricane. I'm comfy at a room temp. of 15 C (59 F). For sleeping, I prefer 12 C (55 F).
That's very low!

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-temperatures

Old 08-12-2013, 12:48 AM

3,180 posts, read 3,347,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Yeah, it's because the winters here are so cold. Spring and fall are hard on me, physiologically, as my body adapts. Spring is worse though.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:07 AM

69 posts, read 122,152 times
I do not like summer , I like spring and autumn , but my city only has summer and winter

Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 AM

273 posts, read 297,271 times
There are actually people who like heat and sun. There's no problem for me, they have no influence on my life.
What I hate, instead, are those people who long for hot weather during cooler months (I'm not talking about January, but a rainy day in April or May) and when it arrives they cry "oh it's soooo hot, when is it going to finish?". I'd probably kill them if I had the opportunity

Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,493,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
The summer lovers don't like summer for its actual conditions, but for the activities summer brings, such as outdoor activities, beach etc and the increase in daylight.

How can anyone seriously like hot, sticky and dirty air? Compared with fresh, cool and clean air?

Summer is horrible.

It's not even summer here in Sydney, Australia but the increasing warm temps and daylight is already makin me cringe.
It seems to depend upon the person... and also seems to correlate with the climate in which that person was raised.

A good contrast is illustrated in the following anecdote. I used to teach music lessons at students' houses, and I did so around Corry, PA while working on my house to make it fully livable. Corry has very mild summers and harsh winters. While at their house, some of their relatives from Mesa, AZ were visiting. It was approximately 60 degrees outside. I, and all of the other Corryites from that house, had on shorts and a T-shirt and found the weather comfortable (as well as the 60-something temperature inside the house). The Arizona natives had on multiple layers (topped off with sweats) and were complaining that it was too cold.

Here's another one. When I was in Texas, some people used to say "anything under 75 is too cold".

Not for me it ain't.

I have a very high metabolism, meaning that I'm constantly warmer than other people. (My wife calls me "the human furnace".) On top of that, I'm a bit fat... so I'm well-insulated.

I distinctly remember standing outside on a February day in New Jersey, due to a bomb threat having been called in to my high school. It was literally freezing outside. I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt because the inside temperature of the school was always like 80 degrees... and when you're told to evacuate the building, you don't have time to go to your locker to get your coat. If it ain't with you in class, it ain't going with you. Outside during the search of the school, I ended up cuddling with three different girls all at the same time... like a big group hug... because they were freezing and I was not. They were wearing more insulating clothing, too. The difference? They were all thin.

So for some people, a warmer climate is desirable. The humidity keeps the dust count down... which can help with some people's allergies. (Of course, humidity tends to mean that pollen-producing flora are nearby, which can trigger other people's allergies.) Humidity can be good for some people's skin.

That's my take on it, anyway. I don't like hot & humid climates. But I understand why some people would.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 AM

5,562 posts, read 6,058,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
The summer lovers don't like summer for its actual conditions, but for the activities summer brings, such as outdoor activities, beach etc and the increase in daylight.
I agree that summer is horrible, but most "summer-lovers", at least on this board, do like the actual conditions of heat and humidity, and the activities for them wouldn't be the same without the heat.

There is another group, however, that just likes the summer activities and claim they like summer conditions but wilt as soon as it gets hot - this group is influenced by media bias more than anything else, and at any rate they are not what I think of when I think of a "summer-lover". I don't care for summer weather or most summer activities myself, so don't ask me why they like it - all that I know is that they do like it.

As for the outside activities, I actually can't do much in the way of outside activities in hot weather - for most conventional summertime activities I like it to be 55-75F, with the exception of swimming where anything above 80F or so is optimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troms View Post
There are actually people who like heat and sun. There's no problem for me, they have no influence on my life.

What I hate, instead, are those people who long for hot weather during cooler months (I'm not talking about January, but a rainy day in April or May) and when it arrives they cry "oh it's soooo hot, when is it going to finish?". I'd probably kill them if I had the opportunity
Exactly my thinking, minus the killing part . Another group I despise is the crowd that says "this winter has been so brutal - when will it ever end?" when it's only been snowing regularly for six weeks.

Curiously, while the same set of people seem to never comment when it's warm to hot for six months at a stretch, six weeks of summer would elicit cries of "where's summer?", and six months of true winter seems to be beyond their imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or