Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

There's one thing I can't defend, and that's waiting for the bus in 1C and wind.

Not that it's fun to commute in 30C either. And forget AC in local transit in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 08:02 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Ditto here. Buses and trains get really hot even if it isn't hot outside. Temperatures in excess of 40C inside buses and train carriages isn't unheard of.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
I`m glad I live where we have all 4 seasons but to be honest, a 6 week winter would be ideal. A couple of downhill ski outings and getting to use my snowshoes once or twice and I`m ready for spring.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:13 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`m glad I live where we have all 4 seasons but to be honest, a 6 week winter would be ideal. A couple of downhill ski outings and getting to use my snowshoes once or twice and I`m ready for spring.
Yeah, sure. Even if I defended winters earlier, both the gloom and the length of them are bit over the top here. Come mid-February, I've seen enough, and could start eating snow just to make it disappear. And early spring is also here as indecisive as a child in a candy store.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I don't think he meant it in the sense that a heat lover can suddenly start liking cold weather (because that won't ever happen lol)

He's saying it because tom77falcons said that people that live in Florida but like the cold should be discredited because they're from Florida and have never "experienced" cold before.

Which is as ridiculous as me saying Meteoman can't like hot weather because he's from Buxton and has never experienced real heat.
I get it now lol, and I don't think it should be discredited, but it is possible that some opinions may change after experiencing truly cold climates (or constant heat). I don't think too much of anything is good. I love heat, but I know I'd get sick of a place like Miami after a while, mainly due to the monotony. I'd appreciate a season mild enough to be comfortable, yet cool enough for the occasional snowfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
And on the flip side I wouldn't want to stand by a bus stop under temperatures around 34c under a blazing sun. It makes me feel weak, drawn out and fed up.
Cold temperatures you can actually wrap up and if it's snowing it makes the surroundings more beautiful looking.
I understand, and there isn't anything wrong with that. A sunny 34c day doesn't bother me nearly as much as a gloomy 16c day, let alone a windy 0c day. I'd feel enveloped in comfort standing at a bus stop in 34c and sunshine lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I definitely agree. Give me 2 or 3 blizzards and then pull the plug. And I'd shorten fall and spring by about a month, they seem to drag on forever.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:51 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
This thread makes me sad because winter is coming. I DESPISE winter. Give me hot sweltering day with longer days than a bleak-no-sunshine-day with freezing temperature
Same here. Totally agreed. Winter is good for absolutely nothing.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Lol am I supposed to get all butthurt over this? I bet I'm way more physically active then you can ever imagine being, I bet you wouldn't be able to do the things I do on a 95 F (35 C) July day here. I'm the most active one out of anyone I know during the heat, doesn't mean I enjoy it just because I don't like the heat, doesn't mean I can't tolerate it and vice versa for a warm weather lover.
No I'm very physically active and fit. I also do a job involving physical hard work and measured the temperature in there at 28°C on average so I do a lot of physical work (8+ hour shifts often) in a warm/hot environment (everyone thought I was a bit strange taking a thermometer into work but I'm just a weather geek I guess . I also walk an average of 3-5 miles per day. Only just now I've come back in from walking 2 miles (2.3 to be exact ) with heavy equipment. Sorry your assumptions about me are incorrect like everything else you've said. I'm one of the fittest people I know, and almost certainly moreso than you are, considering my job, and the fact I've always been fit and active from a young age.

Last edited by MeteoMan; 10-11-2013 at 09:05 AM..

Old 10-11-2013, 09:42 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Is he?

Seems to be implying that cold lovers are just faking it and that we don't really like cold, just winter sports. I live in a city, nowhere near a ski centre (closest one is in Scotland, of course). There are no winter sports here. I don't even own a pair of skis, a snowboard, ice skates, or anything of the sort. He also started rambling about how many people move south for warmer climates - yeah, I get it, people like warm weather, and guess what, so do I, but I also like cold weather in the appropriate seasons.

I hate being cold indoors. I hate being too warm indoors too though. It's hard to get the perfect middle ground.

I personally don't like cold, and I hate arctic cold. But I get that you guys like cold weather. But sometimes you guys insinuate that we only like hot weather cause of air con. That isn't true either.

I don't like sweating and brutally hot either. I don't like endless days of sun. In fact, I'm enjoying the cooler Fall temps right now and cloudy, rainy days. But overall I'd rather sweat than freeze. To each his own.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 AM

540 posts, read 790,885 times
This is an interesting thread. Haven't read all of it, but I'll add my 2 cents.

I love all four seasons. I would be depressed living somewhere that doesn't have those transitions.

I can follow argument about the sunlight, my wife makes that case when we talk about where to retire. However, I like the change throughout the year. Super long days in the summer where you can do things outside until late (if the bugs aren't out). Then darkness in the winter, raising the levels of excitement (think about it, most really fun things happen at night).

Overall, here in the mid-Atlantic United States, I tend to think about summer and winter in the same way. I don't really want to be outside in either. Hot and humid is 100% as uncomfortable as freezing and windy. And while summer has thunderstorms, I would take tracking a big snowstorm any day over that.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
NOTHING is worse than heat. NOTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather