U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:33 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,205,564 times

Advertisements

Well I guess that settles that then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 02:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,610,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

I'm not an eco-fascist, and if your AC is solar powered, fine, but 50% of those snowbirds and retirees would take the next plane out from Phoenix is all AC would break down, and the other 50% would be corpses in a week. I've lived in a tent with only stove heating when it's -20C outside, so I'd be fine if the heating breaks down, don't even try.
Fine, but most in cold climates don't actually live like that. I've looked through American stats for energy use by region, and it ends up the southern air conditioned climates use a bit less energy than the cold northern ones. And Americans from colder climates set their heat colder [Vermonter the coldest according to this survey]

What temp do you keep Central Air?

Old 10-11-2013, 02:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
There's one thing I can't defend, and that's waiting for the bus in 1C and wind.

Not that it's fun to commute in 30C either. And forget AC in local transit in this country.
I'd take 30C easily over 1C. Of course, all transit is air conditioned* and cars are, too. Though my car gets nasty left out in the sun in the afternoon with the steering almost too hot to touch. Got to wait a bit.

How about waiting at a bus stop in -15C and wind? Even calm is bleh.

*Sometimes I object to the A/C even on hot days. I opened the window on the bus to let in some nice, hot air and get rid of the awful chilliness. New buses you can't open the windows. Stupid.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Can't remember the post, but the one that irks me is a comment complaining about someone moving from somewhere cold in the Northeast to Florida and then the person doesn't like the heat and therefore it implies he's not a real winter or cold hater. Or whatever. Really what it is they didn't like winter, but they also didn't want truly hot summer climate. There's no hypocrisy. Why must someone like either? There's no Sydney or Italy or California in the eastern US. There isn't real a good choice; you just trade heat for cold.

I don't understand why on this forum people assume that someone wants either heat or cold rather than just mild weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Sorry, but I take with a grain a salt folks from Florida going on about how they enjoy winter, etc. Winter in TN is nothing to write home about either. Why don't you folks from FL spend the winter in North Dakota or MN? I'm sure you would enjoy all that fresh air and cold.
That's silly. Apparently the enjoyed the feeling of colder weather in TN. Probably they wouldn't like North Dakota cold but why would that matter? You can like some level of cold and no more. Likewise, the same with heat. Saying I like summer doesn't mean I like Phoenix-like weather or necessarily Florida heat; it means I like warmer weather in general, say high 70s.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:42 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,503,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Fine, but most in cold climates don't actually live like that. I've looked through American stats for energy use by region, and it ends up the southern air conditioned climates use a bit less energy than the cold northern ones. And Americans from colder climates set their heat colder [Vermonter the coldest according to this survey]

What temp do you keep Central Air?
Yes, I looked into the Arizonan energy supply when writing that, and already gave credit to Phoenix. I really don't want to get into a lifestyle debate, but here 150,000 of the city's population of 180,000 uses central integrated district heating, which is not implemented largely south of the Canadian border. It drops on average a third of the fuel used, and as only some 10% of used is heavy polluting coal and oil. Go a bit north from here, 90% of the heating is created by nuclear power. And I know for sure that building and insulating requirements are a lot higher here than in Vermont, or any other American state.

What you can blame us is for is the use of Israeli oranges and other "impossible fruit" which causes a lot of co2 emissions, as well as animal husbandry, the heavy industry and so on. Yes, we are the worst polluter in the Nordic Countries.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, I looked into the Arizonan energy supply when writing that, and already gave credit to Phoenix. I really don't want to get into a lifestyle debate, but here 150,000 of the city's population of 180,000 uses central integrated district heating, which is not implemented largely south of the Canadian border. It drops on average a third of the fuel used, and as only some 10% of used is heavy polluting coal and oil. Go a bit north from here, 90% of the heating is created by nuclear power. And I know for sure that building and insulating requirements are a lot higher here than in Vermont, or any other American state.
Vermont is mostly rural, so district heating would be impractical. And Vermont just decommisioned one of its nuclear power plants. Still, much of America is too spread out for district heat. Still, we have some. Boston has some, and so does Manhattan. And some more spread out cities do, too:

District heating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-11-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The average person is stupid anyway, so wherever they are going, I am moving in the opposite direction. Besides, if I was a cold loving American, I'd be encouraging even more people to move to ugly places like Yuma and Phoenix - even more of the north for myself to enjoy, especially those beautiful New England towns (how anyone could leave New Hampshire for Arizona is beyond me, regardless of the weather), and let the economically deprived and backwards south contend with 10-lane traffic jams in their suburban city nightmare.

http://d3hj244ay8zo5a.cloudfront.net...-Hampshire.jpg

vs

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles6272.jpg

As Owen would say.. Boke.
That New Hampshire town is pretty, but it's a mill town that lost its industry. Maybe not economically deprived, but there's not much going on. While the South and Arizona are far from perfect, plenty of it is not economically deprived but growing and for blue-collar types offers jobs with a better cost of living than the north.

That NH town (Berlin) does have some of the highest peaks of the Northeast nearby. Photo I took looking down towards Berlin:

Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
The winter lovers don't like winter for its actual conditions, but for the activities winter brings, such as outdoor activities, ice fishing etc and the decrease in daylight.

How can anyone seriously like cold, snowy and freezing air? Compared with fresh, warm and clean sunny air?

Winter is horrible.

It's not even winter here yet in Winnipeg, Canada but the decreasing temps and daylight is already makin me cringe.
Well, for one thing you live in Canada - so your winter is a LOT harsher than most of our winters (especially here in CA).

But yes, some of us actually DO enjoy the cold air and rain/snow much better than sun and warmth. I'm a redhead, so the sun is just not my friend (ever seen a redhead after spending time in the sun?) - plus I grew up in & around San Francisco, where the weather is very comfortably cool ALL YEAR. Having grown up in that type of climate, I just don't know what to do with myself when it gets above 70F. I moved to the South Bay over two years ago, and still haven't fully acclimated to their weather! Believe it or not, we don't all share your love of the warmth... but I get how a Canadian would crave it more than a Californian, LOL.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:41 PM

107 posts, read 106,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
And on the flip side I wouldn't want to stand by a bus stop under temperatures around 34c under a blazing sun. It makes me feel weak, drawn out and fed up.
Cold temperatures you can actually wrap up and if it's snowing it makes the surroundings more beautiful looking.
Oh I am sure you would love standing at a bus stop on a nice -34C day with under -40C windchill all day. Sounds much more fun than standing around at 34C doesn't it.

Even better when you actually get in the bus and it is roasting in there while you are dressed for the -30C temperatures and start sweating much more than you would standing outside at 34C.

Great way to start the day!

Old 10-11-2013, 05:46 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,082,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homevolent View Post
Oh I am sure you would love standing at a bus stop on a nice -34C day with under -40C windchill all day. Sounds much more fun than standing around at 34C doesn't it.

Even better when you actually get in the bus and it is roasting in there while you are dressed for the -30C temperatures and start sweating much more than you would standing outside at 34C.

Great way to start the day!
I would hate to have to be out in either of those temperatures, but would like to see what -34C feels like just once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or