U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,088,990 times

Advertisements

I definitely love the feeling of being cold and all that winter brings. My body doesnt tolerate heat well and I really dislike the long sunny days.... I just love the feeling of that cold crisp air at -10 or -20F and the crisp snow under your feet. Way better than sweating and swealtering in 80-90 degree heat.

But to each his own....

I grew up down south (Kentucky) and always wanted to live in the Canadian prairies where wind and cold and blowing snow is common as that is what makes me feel most happy. I got close...only 150 miles from Winnipeg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 PM

12,095 posts, read 9,612,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You'd be surprised. You should well know that PA is one of the top states to retire in, and we have cold winters here, too. Weather isn't the biggest factor. Taxes are, too, and PA is one of the few states that do not tax pension income, hence why PA is popular with retirees. The weather may not be the best for the old bones, but we're very friendly for people on fixed incomes

Point noted, but I bet those retired folks are very happy they don't have to go out to work in the winter on those cold mornings. They all stay inside all winter in PA, or they take long trips to FL in winter. In fact, I'll bet most retirees keep their PA residence and only spend winter in Florida. You aren't counting that population but they certainly don't like winter.

Human populations thrive much more in hot climates than they did in the frigid polar climates. Just look at the number of native Eskimo populations vs the tropical human populations. Polar climates are deadly for human survival except for very small numbers. There were millions and millions of humans surviving in the tropical regions.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:21 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,123,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Point noted, but I bet those retired folks are very happy they don't have to go out to work in the winter on those cold mornings. They all stay inside all winter in PA, or they take long trips to FL in winter. In fact, I'll bet most retirees keep their PA residence and only spend winter in Florida. You aren't counting that population but they certainly don't like winter.

Human populations thrive much more in hot climates than they did in the frigid polar climates. Just look at the number of native Eskimo populations vs the tropical human populations. Polar climates are deadly for human survival except for very small numbers. There were millions and millions of humans surviving in the tropical regions.
Point noted for me, too. With your second paragraph, I'm afraid I'm going to have to nitpick a little Yes, humans survive more in tropical areas, but looks like throughout history humans have thrived better in oceanic and subtropical highland climates, even in deserts with river access (think Egypt and Mesopotamia). BUT, talking in just pure survivalist terms with low, primitive technology, tropical areas afford us the best survival chances for our anatomical composition.. Which is fair enough, considering we evolved in a subtropical highland environment near the equator

Old 08-11-2013, 08:38 PM

6,581 posts, read 5,381,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I definitely love the feeling of being cold and all that winter brings. My body doesnt tolerate heat well and I really dislike the long sunny days.... I just love the feeling of that cold crisp air at -10 or -20F and the crisp snow under your feet. Way better than sweating and swealtering in 80-90 degree heat.

But to each his own....

I grew up down south (Kentucky) and always wanted to live in the Canadian prairies where wind and cold and blowing snow is common as that is what makes me feel most happy. I got close...only 150 miles from Winnipeg.

I just had to create this, just couldn't believe how stupid this was

Summer lovers are hypocrites?

Grand forks is a nice small city which gets almost as cold as us. I also can't believe the difference between grand forks and Fargo. When I left Fargo I noticed that the grass was all very green and healthy, then when I got to grand forks today I notice the grass is all brown and dried out. Wonder why.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,475,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which is fair enough, considering we evolved in a subtropical highland environment near the equator
Exactly! We evolved in subtropical highlands, not tropical forests, so the most suitable climate for humans is rather cool than hot. I've already said that I like snow mostly because it creates beautiful scenery. I don't really like when it's too cold outside (I like, however, experiencing cold temperatures, but not more than for few days). I'll never understand people who will take 30C over 22C
Also:
- Many relatively cold countries have much better quality of life than tropical. Which country is better for life - Germany or Zimbabwe?
- There are usually more dangerous animals in tropical climates. Even here, in Ukraine there are more snakes in the South than in the North.
- Tropical illnesses are much more dangerous than flu.
- Hot countries frequently more suffer of droughts.
etc.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 PM

6,581 posts, read 5,381,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
Exactly! The most suitable climate for humans is rather cool than hot. I've already said that I like snow mostly because it creates beautiful scenery. I don't really like when it's too cold outside (I like, however, experiencing cold temperatures, but not more than for few days). I'll never understand people who will take 30C over 22C
Also:
- Many relatively cold countries have much better quality of life than tropical. Which country is better for life - Germany or Zimbabwe?
- There are usually more dangerous animals in tropical climates. Even here, in Ukraine there are more snakes in the South than in the North.
etc.
Singapore.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
Exactly! The most suitable climate for humans is rather cool than hot. I've already said that I like snow mostly because it creates beautiful scenery. I don't really like when it's too cold outside (I like, however, experiencing cold temperatures, but not more than for few days). I'll never understand people who will take 30C over 22C
Also:
etc.
Exactly. Humans thrive better in places with mild climates, whether that is a temperate oceanic climate like western Europe, climates with low humidity like the Mediterranean and the desert, living near a cold ocean in the tropics, or living more than 1500m above sea level in the deep tropics. We humans come from the deep tropics, but from the Ethiopian Highlands, not the lowlands. The temperatures in this region are very tepid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addis_Adaba#Climate

Old 08-11-2013, 08:45 PM
B87

10,824 posts, read 6,914,240 times
This is similar to the climate humans evolved in.

Addis Ababa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mild winters, warm summers.

Only 10 of the 66 largest cities in the world get snow regularly in winter.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:46 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,475,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Singapore.
Rather an exception than a right.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
This is similar to the climate humans evolved in.

Addis Ababa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mild winters, warm summers.

Only 10 of the 66 largest cities in the world get snow regularly in winter.
Lol, you posted that at the same time I edited my post to include Addis Adaba we humans evolved not too far from Addis Adaba, about 1500 feet lower than the city.

When it comes to human comfort, it follows the bell shape curve. You have the extremophiles at either end, making up a very small percentage of the population, but most people fall in the middle, which is true. There is a reason why building thermostats are always set in the low 20sC, people are at their most productive and comfortable in settings of 20C-25C. Addis Adaba has room temperature weather all year round
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or