U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,479,208 times

Advertisements

By the way - the definition of 'cold' is relative. Comparing to Siberia, for example, , Minneapolis is not very cold, but comparing to rest of USA, it's very cold city. Interesting, that despite being much more south, I can go to Tórshavn (if sunshine don't care me) for some warm weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:53 PM

3,738 posts, read 6,226,206 times
I like winter and cold as long as it's dry or snowing. In all fairness though shouldn't liking winter activity mean you like winter? Some things you just can't do outside of winter, or else they are much better done in winter than any other part of the year.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:12 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,428,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Here are the 66 largest cities in the world. How many get regular snow in winter?

List of cities proper by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pyongyang, Suzhou, Shenyang, Ankara, St Petersburg, New York City, Seoul, Tianjin, Beijing, Moscow.

10 out of 66.
And yet many of the world's most livable cities have cold, snowy winters - Canadian cities dominate the rankings, ditto for cities like Helsinki, Stockholm, Oslo, Vienna, Munich, Copenhagen - you get the drift.

I don't think it's related to cold weather - but clearly people living in Helsinki have it way better than some poverty-ridden tip like Mumbai or Karachi. Just saying is all. Perhaps it just proves that weather is usually not considered as important for quality of life as other factors such as jobs, social security, earnings, health, education, safety, and other things. And if the warm climates of places like India have allowed their population to boom, then it is obviously a detriment more than anything, since India is overcrowded, filthy, riddled with disease, poverty and houses that don't have plumbing. Smaller is better - sometimes. The world's most populous cities are mostly hellholes anyway. There is no way I would live in Jakarta without being very wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post

Still think you love winter?
Yes. I don't love winter in Saskatoon (but could easily tolerate it), but I would love winter in Helsinki or Stockholm. I love the moderated winter climates of northern and eastern Europe.

Also, did anyone stop to think that the OP of the other thread wasn't a winter lover, but a heat hater? They do exist. Most people prefer 'warm' weather, not hot or cold weather. Anyone who salivates at the thought of 90F+ weather is clearly a raving loony.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 08-12-2013 at 04:24 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 05:46 AM

273 posts, read 297,862 times
What's the problem? I don't like the winter because of the "wintry activities", I like it because it is cold and snowy. I personally don't like the intense dry cold typical of some cities in Siberia and Canada but I wouldn't have any kind of problem with an Hokkaido winter or a Norwegian winter, for example.
And I also believe that the fall, when the winter is coming always closer and closer, is the best part of the year.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:12 AM

65,098 posts, read 47,460,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
The winter lovers don't like winter for its actual conditions, but for the activities winter brings, such as outdoor activities, ice fishing etc and the decrease in daylight.

How can anyone seriously like cold, snowy and freezing air? Compared with fresh, warm and clean sunny air?

Winter is horrible.

It's not even winter here yet in Winnipeg, Canada but the decreasing temps and daylight is already makin me cringe.
LOL.. That was good. I thought I was reading the same post as the other one. I'm the exception to this. Call me odd but I'm outside more and being active when its freezing. I never wear jackets or scarfs (even at 5°F. I stay out in blizzards even after done shoveling. Air is cleaner and fresher without bugs. It just feels like heaven so I enjoy my time there. LOL

Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,147,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Also, did anyone stop to think that the OP of the other thread wasn't a winter lover, but a heat hater? They do exist. Most people prefer 'warm' weather, not hot or cold weather. Anyone who salivates at the thought of 90F+ weather is clearly a raving loony.
I'm the same. I'm not a winter lover, but I am a heat hater. 22°C is the perfect temperature for me

Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM

1,758 posts, read 1,400,521 times
I can't wait to walk outside, feel the frigid air envelop me and smile. The only time I dislike winter is the ten minutes I have to scrape car windows every morning for five months of the year.

Agreed with Troms on autumn as well. The suspense is great and when it finally snows, it makes my week.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM

8,265 posts, read 13,556,104 times
Quote:
The winter lovers don't like winter for its actual conditions, but for the activities winter brings, such as outdoor activities, ice fishing etc and the decrease in daylight.

How can anyone seriously like cold, snowy and freezing air? Compared with fresh, warm and clean sunny air?
I like winter...........but I live in Indianapolis so winter to me does not entail what it entails in a place like Winnipeg.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 PM

17,360 posts, read 14,876,098 times
Quote:

Winter is horrible.

It's not even winter here yet in Winnipeg, Canada but the decreasing temps and daylight is already makin me cringe.
With me, it is more a matter of looking for the bright side. I do not like the cold nor activities in the cold, and even more I hate how early it gets dark...but I love that all the tourists who steal my parking spot and stop in the middle of the street because they don't know where they are going and ride bikes in the middle of the road and make driving 5 miles take 30 minutes...go the *&%#^& home. I love how peaceful it is here in the winter

Old 08-12-2013, 12:30 PM

15,044 posts, read 13,131,293 times
I'll take the icy winds, snow, dark, and gloom of winter over the relentless heat, sun, humidity, bugs, and allergies of summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or