U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:14 PM

212 posts, read 238,029 times

Advertisements

This thread took a quick spiral into retardation so I only read like the first three posts. To the OP, I am a cold weather-loving non hypocrite and I'll lay out my reasons.

1) I despise sweating, even a little bit. 60F is pushing into too-hot territory for me

2) I enjoy cloudy, windy days. The look of grey clouds scudding across the sky fills me with excitement and wanderlust. When it's relentlessly sunny I feel oppressed and depressed.

3) I like wearing coats, hats and scarves. Us guys just look better when we are more covered up. Which would you rather lay eyes on, a sweaty, sunburned guy with chest hair sprouting out of his tank top and knobbly knees coming out of his cargo shorts, or a distinguished gentleman in suit, overcoat and fedora?

4) I genuinely love the feel of the cold wind and hail in my face. It's a ferocious, challenging feeling is the best way I can describe it. One of my favorite childhood memories is of walking along the Chicago lakefront toward the museum campus with the sleet coming right off the water and into my face, and loving every second of it.

5) I love the clear air where you can see for miles in the countryside, and the calm silence after a snowfall.

The only thing I really hate about winter is the short days. Don't like going to work and coming home from work when it's dark both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 04:20 PM

6,581 posts, read 5,386,892 times
I don't hate cold weather fans or any weather fans in general.

This thread was a joke made after the "summer lovers are hypocrites" thread.

I have nothing against you guys, I'm just a fan of warmer weather and a hater of the OP of the opposite thread.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:33 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,444,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
The winter lovers don't like winter for its actual conditions, but for the activities winter brings, such as outdoor activities, ice fishing etc and the decrease in daylight.

How can anyone seriously like cold, snowy and freezing air? Compared with fresh, warm and clean sunny air?
I don't like it. Thats the reason I live in California, where I don't have to deal with any of that. But I know lots of people who love it. It's more a matter of personal preference. I've seen people who go out an jog in the snow and freezing air, without a shirt on. I'm pretty sure they don't do that because they secretly hate winter weather.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 PM

5,151 posts, read 3,613,596 times
I love winter weather in the winter. There's something about consistently warm weather and similar temperatures in January as in July that's just boring and nasty. Tropical climates like Singapore are the worst because their temperatures literally hover in a 10 degree range for highs. January is not supposed to be like July. January is supposed to be cold. July is supposed to be hot. Or vice versa in the Southern Hemisphere. Weather is supposed to change. The best climates are the ones that are the most unpredictable.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:10 PM

15,044 posts, read 13,118,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Relentless heat? Exaggerate much, lol.

Your part of NJ does not get relentless heat. You just happen to have a very low heat tolerance. All the upper Midwest is waiting for you to enjoy their delightful winter weather and beautiful colorful winter landscapes. I'll bet you their weather is great for arthritis.
I've been working outside full-time during the summer for five years now, so I think my view about it is qualified enough. The heat, sun, and humidity do feel brutal to me when working out in it all day. No doubt summers here are more moderate compared to a good chunk of the country, but that doesn't downplay what I've put up with. Working a physically demanding job in the heat, sun, and humidity is no picnic. We get plenty of that here. It may not be Texas or Florida, but it can still be pretty miserable for several weeks of the year. The past few weeks have been pretty nice, but even then it still can get uncomfortable during the afternoon.

This will probably be my last summer doing this, unless I stick around for weekends. I may consider it for the extra cash, otherwise hopefully I'll be working in an air conditioned office this time next year. Right now I have no choice. There's very few jobs around here. The local economy relies heavily on seasonal tourism.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM

9,300 posts, read 8,427,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
Exactly! We evolved in subtropical highlands, not tropical forests, so the most suitable climate for humans is rather cool than hot. I've already said that I like snow mostly because it creates beautiful scenery. I don't really like when it's too cold outside (I like, however, experiencing cold temperatures, but not more than for few days). I'll never understand people who will take 30C over 22C
Also:
- Many relatively cold countries have much better quality of life than tropical. Which country is better for life - Germany or Zimbabwe?
- There are usually more dangerous animals in tropical climates. Even here, in Ukraine there are more snakes in the South than in the North.
- Tropical illnesses are much more dangerous than flu.
- Hot countries frequently more suffer of droughts.
etc.
Which has a better quality of life, Singapore or Romania? (I can cherry pick too!)

So polar bears aren't dangerous then?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,136,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Which has a better quality of life, Singapore or Romania? (I can cherry pick too!)

Your comparison isn't a valid one anymore, thanks to advancements in technology which is leveling the playing field for everywhere. Now anywhere on Earth you can enjoy Addis Adaba like temperatures inside a building

Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 AM

3,138 posts, read 3,962,554 times
Hmmm....

I'm a Native American from the Southern tribes. And half-Sicilian. The Mississippi heat didn't bother me. I expected cold to be scary and painful. Then, in moving up here... in January... I drove alone. I was going to have a week of contemplation in Aspen before completing the trip and joining the family in our new house. But a blizzard hit Aspen.

I had a blast. We were out in the snow quite a lot. Loved it. And I've loved our Oregon winters. Maybe if I were running around naked and starving, it would be different. Too, I've been in Montreal during a cold-snap in March. Temps right at freezing during the days - drizzling rain/sleet/snow - I thought it was heavenly.

As for my Husband, who's Cajun and thus descended in part from Canada's Eastern First Nations, I think he could run around naked in the snow without complaint. The colder it is, the happier he is.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:53 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,413,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

The point he is making is that countries with very warm climates on the whole tend to be a lot less developed than their colder counterparts. This isn't necessarily down to climate, just the way it is. Europe and North America industrialised first.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,471,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
The winter lovers don't like winter for its actual conditions, but for the activities winter brings, such as outdoor activities, ice fishing etc and the decrease in daylight.

How can anyone seriously like cold, snowy and freezing air? Compared with fresh, warm and clean sunny air?

Winter is horrible.

It's not even winter here yet in Winnipeg, Canada but the decreasing temps and daylight is already makin me cringe.
I love snow, cold and freezing air and a lot of people do including the poster above me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or