Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
Exactly! We evolved in subtropical highlands, not tropical forests, so the most suitable climate for humans is rather cool than hot. I've already said that I like snow mostly because it creates beautiful scenery. I don't really like when it's too cold outside (I like, however, experiencing cold temperatures, but not more than for few days). I'll never understand people who will take 30C over 22C
Also:
- Many relatively cold countries have much better quality of life than tropical. Which country is better for life - Germany or Zimbabwe?
- There are usually more dangerous animals in tropical climates. Even here, in Ukraine there are more snakes in the South than in the North.
- Tropical illnesses are much more dangerous than flu.
- Hot countries frequently more suffer of droughts.
etc.
I think that's the way it was and still is now but I think the gap between the tropics and temperate zones is narrowing and so I think in 50-100 years, technology will have advanced to a point where the majority of people in the tropical areas will be able to live a much better quality of life. People will eradicate most tropical illnesses through genetics. Electricity will become cheaper and therefore more people will be able to afford air conditioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,265,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
Exactly! We evolved in subtropical highlands, not tropical forests, so the most suitable climate for humans is rather cool than hot. I've already said that I like snow mostly because it creates beautiful scenery. I don't really like when it's too cold outside (I like, however, experiencing cold temperatures, but not more than for few days). I'll never understand people who will take 30C over 22C
Also:
- Many relatively cold countries have much better quality of life than tropical. Which country is better for life - Germany or Zimbabwe?
- There are usually more dangerous animals in tropical climates. Even here, in Ukraine there are more snakes in the South than in the North.
- Tropical illnesses are much more dangerous than flu.
- Hot countries frequently more suffer of droughts.
etc.
Very good post

Germany...slightly better than Zimbabwe ...and no poisonous critters and other nasty things that
tropical countries have to put up with.

Cool not hot but not necessarily cold. Too cold of a climate is not good either, arctic/Antarctic, etc.

Much of Europe imho is blessed climatically and that has helped it prosper, Africa not so much.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think that's the way it was and still is now but I think the gap between the tropics and temperate zones is narrowing and so I think in 50-100 years, technology will have advanced to a point where the majority of people in the tropical areas will be able to live a much better quality of life. People will eradicate most tropical illnesses through genetics. Electricity will become cheaper and therefore more people will be able to afford air conditioning.
Interesting. However, genetics probably can make people more cold-hardy as well.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times
Well, i love winter cause i live in a very warm city with hot summers and winters here are like spring in most european countries (or like summer in some northern european ones). So, yeah, its not cold at all. The reason why i love winter is cause i hate the heat, and winter here is the ONLY season in where extreme heat is not recorded. Of course we still score more than 5 days with temps above 20c in the COLDEST month, but at least we dont have 35 c days or heatwaves in our short winter. Our winter might not be cold and it might last 1 month and a half, but at least is not hot

Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,026 times
I agree. One CAN be a winter lover as far north as the border between a humid continental and humid subtropical climate (example: Washington D.C). Poleward of this boundary, anybody who is a winter lover should have his/her head examined, or at least spend a winter in Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

For those of you who don't know what we deal with in the Canadian Prairies:

Imagine this. It's September. The weather starts out cool and crisp, then gradually becomes cooler and gloomier, with the leaves falling off. Once the trees are bare, it's probably early October. Two weeks later, the drizzly, rain/snow mix arrives. It's now mid- to late-October and the weather is typical of what you'd see in Britain/France/Germany in January. Dull, chilly, miserable. You crave a hot chocolate by the fire. But it's not winter yet! Oh no, not even close.

November arrives, bringing snow, snow and more snow. Maybe some freezing rain as well, just to make your drive to work more dangerous than it already is. Imagine January in Vermont. The craziest winter lovers would probably still be happy. But, it's not winter yet! Not even close.

December arrives and mean temps. drop another 20 degrees F. Your snot begins to freeze inside your nose. Shut your eyes when facing the wind and they'll freeze shut. The cold penetrates your jeans like you're naked, so you have to dress up like an astronaut. If you live in the city, you go from (nosebleed-inducing dry) heated home to ice-cold vehicle (that may or may not start) and drive in the dark to your (nosebleed-inducing dry) heated workplace. You probably have ass-frostbite from the vehicle. You get off work when it's pitch-dark again, drive home, get your ass frostbitten again, have supper, and drink yourself to sleep. And maybe go Christmas shopping on the weekend when (or if) it warms up to 20 below zero.

If you live out in the country, you still have to go out and shovel your quarter-mile-long driveway, no matter how cold it is, because your boss expects you at work in an hour. God help you if your tractor doesn't have a cab.

January, see December.

February, see December, but with slightly longer days.

March - the sun teases you with its warmth, but otherwise the weather is November-like.

April - see October. Berlin winter all over again.

Still think you love winter?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
I think most people like WARM, not HOT, weather. I like 80F but cringe at 95F. Heck, even 90F is pushing it for me. I find cold weather depressing and hate snow if it lasts more than a day or two.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I think most people like WARM, not HOT, weather. I like 80F but cringe at 95F. Heck, even 90F is pushing it for me. I find cold weather depressing and hate snow if it lasts more than a day or two.
Agree completely, I like warm not hot. 76f is perfect.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,997,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
I just had to create this, just couldn't believe how stupid this was

Summer lovers are hypocrites?

Grand forks is a nice small city which gets almost as cold as us. I also can't believe the difference between grand forks and Fargo. When I left Fargo I noticed that the grass was all very green and healthy, then when I got to grand forks today I notice the grass is all brown and dried out. Wonder why.
It has been very dry here since the 10th of June. All storms missed us either went north or south....

Old 08-11-2013, 09:41 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
It has been very dry here since the 10th of June. All storms missed us either went north or south....
Can definitely tell GF is in dry Zone lately, back home it's all green and just 65 miles south it's all green.

Right now it's nice night here in grand forks.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 PM

701 posts, read 1,690,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Thanks for this post. Couldn't agree more. Only on this and other weather forums do you find people going on and on about how much they love winter. No one here, or at least very few people and certainly the minority, welcome the end of summer and the coming of winter. And at the end of winter people are euphoric around here. I don't care what the cold lovers say, the vast majority of people in the US prefer warm weather. Why else would the sunshine and warmer states be filling up with people vs the frigid winter areas. The only time people like cold weather and snow is for winter sports they happen to like. No one really enjoys freezing their ti...s off performing mundane tasks outside, lol.
lol, speak for yourself. I thoroughly welcome the cooler weather of autumn, and don't mind winter at all (and though I like ice hockey, I don't do any winter sports). Truthfully, though I don't like sub-zero temperatures, what I do like is a temperate climate with a real changing of the seasons (all four of them). I'm not saying I want winter all year long, but there's nothing like the joy of spring unfolding after a cold winter, or the glory of the fall leaves (sight and smell). Neither of those would be possible to the same degree without the extremes of summer and winter.

I lived for seven years in North Carolina (the Chapel Hill area) with what I'd call a three-season climate (long summer, mild fall/winter, short spring). I pined for the the four seasons of the northeast, including winter.

Oh, and I'd much rather shovel snow than weed whack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather