U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What temperature range is necessary for a climate to have 4 seasons?
0-5C 1 3.70%
5-10C 4 14.81%
10-15C 6 22.22%
15-20C 5 18.52%
20-25C 6 22.22%
greater than 25C 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:43 AM

12,087 posts, read 9,606,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I think a 4 season climate can have a minimum range of just under 5C to feel like it is seasonal, paticularly if it is mainly higher humidity in summer.
Hence I am the only one to tick that box.
Eg an 18C max in winter and 23C max in summer is still 4 seasons to me, so even somewhere like the Namibian or Chilean/Peruvian coastlines can still have 4 seasons, along with some subtropical highland places (although they tend to have a greater discrepancy in night time temperatures).
As long as the coldest month has maximums under 19C it has a winter, and hottest month over 22C in summer.
Basically this would be a classified here as a cool-mild winter with a mild-warm summer.
Would people in Australia really put such a low threshold on what they call a "warm" summer? I mean from my perspective a summer avg high of 71.6F (22C), is really just normal spring weather and certainly not summer. That would be a cool summer day with loads of complaining by folks that the summer was way below normal. Our average high in May is warmer than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
It's hardly a common occurrence though, not like you could get dropped off on a random day in summer or winter and not know what the season was!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
And now a generic picture taken in each season.

Spring

Summer

Autumn

Winter
Perfect seasonal pics. This is silly to claim London has only two seasons.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,518,659 times
How many people are there on this planet? Something over 7 billion? And how many of those are either christian or islamic? Half? I think I live among the 10% privileged persons who live in the developed world. I think 20C, while the guy in DR Congo just sold some groceries to earn USD 1 for supporting his family for a day. That is strange, because the bus fare here is USD 3.30. I have USD 58.40 in my wallet. Should I refer to the global consciousness and ask for understanding when a pizza costs more here than an average Congolese can make in 9 days?

So skrew off with your "but well people on average in the world".

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
This is not about the world, I don't care and neither do you. You being from America, you should know that you don't care a sh*t about how half of the world's population thinks, even a third would be an improvement. But neither do I. My sphere of influence is Western Europe. There is no point in global consciousness. The regular posters here think 20C is summer temperatures and that's it. Where are all the Indian posters telling otherwise? If 90% percent of the posters here agree with me that 20C is summer, what's the point saying that some people in the world think otherwise. BTW, I met a Chinese person that thinks conscription should be mandatory. Hey, they have 4 times more people than the US has, so, when are you taking up arms? "This is an US website and Fahrenheit..." I think I've made my point.

I've lived all my life between 60'1N and 60'4 latitudes, but I can put into perspective how I feel summer and how others feel. You've lived in Florida, and so what? I could move as your neighbor, and after one year return here. Even though it was 25C in winter there, after a year I would still think that 20C here is summer after experiencing the cold winter. But, I would still cherish my experiences from Florida, but as an intelligent academic, I know adaptation is the key feature. I can bet a 1000 that either you or chicagogeorge would find Fairbanks' lame summers summers warm after you've experienced a Fairbanks winter.

Ok, let's make a deal. Chicago's avg low in January is -7.7C/18.2F and my is -7.3C/18.9F. I will remind you every single day that how terrible for humans that miserably cold freezing hellhole can be. And you're almost 20 degrees south from me. Chicago's winters are unbearable! And don't tell about Minnesota, the twin cities have an average high of -4.6C/23.7F in January, more than double lower than the winter high we get. How can human beings live with those places? Are the polar bears a menace? And being 16 degrees more south!
I agree with you about the Chicago winters, lol. They suck. Most Americans feel Chicago is way too cold in winter. Would be an even greater city with a NYC winter. I've known a couple people that would love to live there but will never go because of their freezing cold winters.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:53 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,518,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I wish our winters were colder and snowier more like Minneapolis, so that we actually can keep a winter long snowpack. That I would be able to handle a deep winter as long as I knew that I was going to get the other end of the spectrum come summer.
Yeah, but wouldn't it be annoying that you've had always someone behind your back telling "well, for me it would be a springlike/icecap winter", while people are enjoying the snow?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:49 AM

2,930 posts, read 3,688,744 times
It is a matter of perspective. Much of North America, esp. the great plains has much bigger temperature swings over a year than Europe and many other parts of the world. So it tends to get both very cold and very hot in the same place.

I live in Chicago and winter can go as low at -3F (-19F) and sometimes a tad lower. Summer can get as hot as 100F (37C), every few years and has some 90F (32C) days most years and really doesn’t drop bellow about 83(28c) till late September. That being said the Chicago’s weather is fickle esp. in winter as you can also get a 50F(10C) January day! For many places in the US 23C would be like late spring weather. And early spring in Chicago esp. April has wild temperature swings. i.e. 20, 30, 40, 50F(-6C to 10C) one day then 60, 70, 80F(15C to 26C) another.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:18 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,382,957 times
How's this for seasonal contrast?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM
B87

10,824 posts, read 6,909,688 times
Obviously subarctic Melbourne. Or a very strong UHI.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM

15,883 posts, read 12,444,377 times
People adapt quickly.

I know plenty of people from warm/hot summer climates and work with people from warm/hot summer climates, who are on temporary work visas. They don't seem to be confused about whether it's summer or spring. Most will say their summer is hotter when asked (as I nearly always do), but that doesn't mean these people think it's spring. They complain about the heat just like everybody else and certainly don't have any more heat resilience than any one else.

What will get comment, is the strong contrasts in short periods - a hot blistering sun , 23C etc, only to wake up the following morning with 4C, and horizontal rain, But even days like that will usually end up hot and with water reaching swimming temps. I think that's when people from warm/hot summer temperate climate, get what makes Oceanic summers so different.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM

3,172 posts, read 3,345,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Most will say their summer is hotter when asked (as I nearly always do), but that doesn't mean these people think it's spring.
Very interesting. I've got an interesting anecdote though
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, where the lows in our warmest month are 11 C and in our coldest month, -22 C. My wife had to travel to India one time on a business trip (first time for her) one February. Her Indian colleague warned her to pack some warm clothing because "the winter nights can drop as low as 17 C!". Meanwhile, it was around -20 C outside here.
We're still scratching our heads over that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or