U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 10:06 PM

5,979 posts, read 3,082,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
What's the daylight length in your climate on the solstices/equinoxes? Your climate gets cold fast after sunset it seems.
Lol, assuming we are talking about Earth, daylight is 12 hours everywhere on the planet on the equinoxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:09 PM

16,206 posts, read 7,659,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Lol, assuming we are talking about Earth, daylight is 12 hours everywhere on the planet on the equinoxes.
Lol, duh didn't think of that lol.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 PM

3,660 posts, read 1,434,239 times
Quote:
What's the daylight length in your climate on the solstices/equinoxes? Your climate gets cold fast after sunset it seems.
It's at 75N, so strictly speaking it has the following daylight setup:

Winter Solstice: 0 hrs
Equinoxes: 12 hrs
Summer Solstice: 24 hrs

But due to the geography of the region (large mountains and glaciation blocking the path of the sunlight), measurable sunlight is only able to be received for a maximum of approximately 16 hours during the summer solstice, 6 hours during the equinoxes, and 0 hours during the winter solstice.

Basically, whenever the sun is less than 25-30 degrees above the horizon, it's impossible to see thanks to mountains.

I've been too lazy to check whether or not all of that trigonometry actually works out in a consistent way, but I think it should be okay. cf the sun hours on my dream climate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SillyBunnies

Old 08-26-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
It's at 75N, so strictly speaking it has the following daylight setup:

Winter Solstice: 0 hrs
Equinoxes: 12 hrs
Summer Solstice: 24 hrs

But due to the geography of the region (large mountains and glaciation blocking the path of the sunlight), measurable sunlight is only able to be received for a maximum of approximately 16 hours during the summer solstice, 6 hours during the equinoxes, and 0 hours during the winter solstice.

Basically, whenever the sun is less than 25-30 degrees or so above the horizon, it's impossible to see thanks to mountains.

I've been too lazy to check whether or not all of that trigonometry actually works out in a consistent way, but I think it should be okay. cf the sun hours on my dream climate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SillyBunnies
Ah, that actually kind of makes sense. Btw, did you make your averages warmer?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:32 PM

3,660 posts, read 1,434,239 times
Quote:
Ah, that actually kind of makes sense. Btw, did you make your averages warmer?
Yeah, I made them 5-10F warmer during winter, and I made the record lows ~5F warmer. I also made summers ~5F cooler and added 20 inches of snow. Don't worry though, I don't planning on touching them any more.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Yeah, I made them 5-10F warmer during winter, and I made the record lows ~5F warmer. I also made summers ~5F cooler and added 20 inches of snow. Don't worry though, I don't planning on touching them any more.
I think you should make winters 25 F colder with 50 more inches of snow.

I've been thinking of adjusting my dream climate also, but I think it may just be due to me being tired as hell of hot weather.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:41 PM

963 posts, read 413,036 times
Quote:
Lol, duh didn't think of that lol.
It is entirely possible to have a 30+ degree difference in one day without it having to do with sunrise or sunset. Most of the time, it can happen if the air is very dry or highly elevated, as in Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, or even some parts of California.

Some parts of Alaska has almost 24 hours of sunlight during summer, and even 24 hours of night during winter, but can still differ by 20 degrees in one day. Like the interior of Alaska such as Fairbanks, has summer average highs in the 70s/80s, but average lows in the 50s and has almost 24 hours of sunlight. Because it's somewhat dry.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
It is entirely possible to have a 30+ degree difference in one day without having to do with sunrise or sunset. Most of the time, it can happen if the air is very dry or highly elevated, as in Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, or even some parts of California.

Some parts of Alaska has almost 24 hours of sunlight during summer but can still differ by 20 degrees in one day. Like the interior of Alaska such as Fairbanks, has average highs in the 70s/80s, but average lows in the 50s and has almost 24 hours of sunlight. Because it's somewhat dry.
Well, Fairbanks doesn't have 24 hours of daylight. I think on the solstice it has 21 hours in summer, and 3 hours during winter. Given Shalop's explanation, I can see why his climate cools off so much at "night" despite the 24 hours (though I think by now, daylight has probably decreased to maybe 20-22 hours?)

Usually 24 hours of daylight means not that much diurnal range in summer, same for winter (but with darkness obviously).

Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 PM

12,251 posts, read 6,644,586 times
Quote:
I've been thinking of adjusting my dream climate also, but I think it may just be due to me being tired as hell of hot weather.
Strangely the opposite thing happened to me. I now prefer 10F colder winters than I used to, after the coldest winter I've experienced.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Strangely the opposite thing happened to me. I now prefer 10F colder winters than I used to, after the coldest winter I've experienced.
Maybe you're a closet cold lover?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or