U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:49 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,389,978 times

Advertisements

I am surprised by how infrequent hurricanes are in Florida. I swear they got loads when I was younger and I would love to watch them on TV or the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 01:57 PM

65,009 posts, read 47,336,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post

a) an up close thunderstorm with only a second between the thunderclap and the lightning strike
b) a named tropical storm
c) a hurricane
d) dewpoints over 80 F
e) A great time in all the Florida theme parks
f) A great time swimming at Clearwater beach
g) Being eaten by a gator when going to the swamps.
h) Having such a great time that I plan to visit Florida again within the next few years.
a) Are you storm chasing or waiting for the storm to chase you?
b) Very possible this year in that time frame
c) Also possible
d) "over" 80? Not likely. 75F yes.
e) Will you have screaming kids with you?
f) Water temps are mid 80s. So Air and Water might end up being the same temp
g) Will you be chasing the Gator or will it be chasing you?
h) Ask this again after your visit

Old 08-13-2013, 02:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,742 posts, read 39,645,962 times
Quote:
Late October or November would have more comfortable weather but I want to experience some more "interesting weather" that I never experienced before without dealing with mass crowds like in summer. I want to see thunderstorms and a lot of them! September is the cheapest and still has way more thunderstorms than October.
While Florida doesn't get the extremely violent storms the Midwest gets, they'd still be impressive to someone from the west coast. Lots of lightning, heavy downpours.

World Lightning Strikes Map

Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,634,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
While Florida doesn't get the extremely violent storms the Midwest gets, they'd still be impressive to someone from the west coast. Lots of lightning, heavy downpours.

World Lightning Strikes Map

Yep! We only get about one thunderstorm a year (if we're lucky) on the average where I live so even a brief 10 minute thundershower is entertaining for me.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:08 PM

I also have to add z) having the hotel swallowed by a sinkhole, to my list of questions.

What do you think of the resort being swallowed by the sinkhole?

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 08-13-2013 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,118,541 times
Quote:
I also have to add z) having the hotel swallowed by a sinkhole, to my list of questions.

What do you think of the resort being swallowed by the sinkhole?
About the same as a hotel in San Fran being shaken to the ground by an earthquake

Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
a) Are you storm chasing or waiting for the storm to chase you?
b) Very possible this year in that time frame
c) Also possible
d) "over" 80? Not likely. 75F yes.
e) Will you have screaming kids with you?
f) Water temps are mid 80s. So Air and Water might end up being the same temp
g) Will you be chasing the Gator or will it be chasing you?
h) Ask this again after your visit

A) Will not go out of my way to storm chase- too many other things to do and I believe the odds are good that at least one or two thunderstorms come my way. I knew that June and July and more thunderstorms but I would never visit Orlando when schools are on vacation cuz it would be WAY too crowded. As a childless single adult, I'm gonna go when it's the cheapest. September is even cheaper than other times of the year when school is in session, cheaper than October or November, cheaper than January or May. Not sure why but it might be cuz of hurricane season or the fact that school year is just starting and if ppl want to play hookey their kids and call them out sick for a week to take them to Disney World, they do it later in the school year.

B and C) Would not mind a few hours of a heavy downpour but a full blown tropical storm or hurricane would get in the way of sightseeing and close down the attractions and shut me in my hotel room for a day or two. I doubt it actually will happen. Well, a tropical storm might be manageable to walk around in but a hurricane means being "stormed in".

D) Warmest dewpoints I've experienced was around 70 F and that's like a once a decade event where I live so even 75 F would give me a new experience.

E) and F) I am a childless single adult with one of my female friends joining me for part of the trip. I LOVE theme parks, swimming, watersports, beaches, hiking, natural parks, and sightseeing (Contrary to what ppl on here may think I have interests other than weather and creating quirky fictional climates)

G) Gonna do one of those airboat gator tours. NOT 100 percent sure about driving down the Everglades as I might do the gator tours that are closer to Orlando. Gonna play that one by ear.

H) Will report after the trip

Z) The resort being swallowed by a sinkhole- I'm glad I didn't consider the Summer Bay Resort in Clermont.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,742 posts, read 39,645,962 times
Quote:
A) Will not go out of my way to storm chase- too many other things to do and I believe the odds are good that at least one or two thunderstorms come my way. I knew that June and July and more thunderstorms but I would never visit Orlando when schools are on vacation cuz it would be WAY too crowded. As a childless single adult, I'm gonna go when it's the cheapest. September is even cheaper than other times of the year when school is in session, cheaper than October or November, cheaper than January or May. Not sure why but it might be cuz of hurricane season or the fact that school year is just starting and if ppl want to play hookey their kids and call them out sick for a week to take them to Disney World, they do it later in the school year.
September is cheap because:

1) People already took a summer vacation (esp w/kids) have done so, they're not going to Florida again
2) A lot of tourists from the north go because they're sick of cold weather. There's little cold to escape from up north in September. Most non-families (Americans, at least) tend to prefer to travel to Florida in the cooler months. Weather is milder then, too, a plus for those uninterested in "interesting weather", which I think is most people. They'd rather have sunny, lower humidity and 70s/low 80s.
3) Hurricane season is at its peak, as you said

Old 08-14-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
September is cheap because:

1) People already took a summer vacation (esp w/kids) have done so, they're not going to Florida again
2) A lot of tourists from the north go because they're sick of cold weather. There's little cold to escape from up north in September. Most non-families (Americans, at least) tend to prefer to travel to Florida in the cooler months. Weather is milder then, too, a plus for those uninterested in "interesting weather", which I think is most people. They'd rather have sunny, lower humidity and 70s/low 80s.
3) Hurricane season is at its peak, as you said
Hopefully translates to very short (or even zero ) wait times to get on rides and low crowds at beaches.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 PM

Miamihurricane555? I need your expertise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or