U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were FORCED, which horror climate would you choose?
Loco 9 40.91%
Bakensteam 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:03 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,632,511 times

Advertisements

This is more of an exercise of the imagination. What if the earth were to heat up by 60 degrees? In that case, subarctic continental climates such as Winnipeg may look like Loco and subarctic Maritime climates such as the Aleutian Islands may look like Bakensteam.

As for no one having any direct experience with such a climate, I, personally have not experienced temperatures lower than 15 F nor have I experienced dewpoints much over 70 F nor have I experienced temperatures above 110 but I've rated climates with all these conditions. Use your imagination to pick the lesser of the two evils.

I think Loco would absolutely be lethel without AC but survivable with AC if people seriously limit outdoor exposure in summer (sort of like how the scientists at the South Pole limit their time outdoors in winter). In Bakensteam, the dewpoints remain below body temperature (mid 80s to mid 90s) with temperatures around 95-105 F during the wet season and during the dry season, dewpoints lower to the 50s with temperatures in the 110-120 F range with occasional heatwaves of 130 (like the real life Death Valley). People live in Death Valley, the Middle East, and Equatorial rainforests. While it would be uncomfortable and dangerous to be outside for extended periods of time, it could be well survivable with AC and limiting outdoor activities.

Here's how humans might be able to survive temperatures even hotter than Loco- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCDcurQju8

Old 08-13-2013, 07:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
In Bakensteam, the dewpoints remain below body temperature (mid 80s to mid 90s) with temperatures around 95-105 F during the wet season and during the dry season, dewpoints lower to the 50s with temperatures in the 110-120 F range with occasional heatwaves of 130 (like the real life Death Valley).
Judging from your numbers, the dew points will be much hotter than that in the wet season. Night lows are in the mid 90s. Some deserts (Phoenix) have lows much higher than the dew point, probably from lack of time to cool. But considering the amount of rainfall, this climate would have relatively high humidity. What temperature would it rain at? Would the temperature be near the dew point then?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 PM

276 posts, read 356,175 times
hell on earth

Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Judging from your numbers, the dew points will be much hotter than that in the wet season. Night lows are in the mid 90s. Some deserts (Phoenix) have lows much higher than the dew point, probably from lack of time to cool. But considering the amount of rainfall, this climate would have relatively high humidity. What temperature would it rain at? Would the temperature be near the dew point then?
We can say that the rain occurs when the lowest temperature of the day occurs (not neccessarily at night); anyway, if it's raining, isn't the dewpoint still slightly below the actual temperature? I mean I checked the stats for Orlando when planning my vacation and it's often in the upper 80s and raining but the dewpoint remains in the 70s most of the time.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM

5,146 posts, read 3,605,611 times
Loco. It's comfortable for 3 months, livable for 3 months, and hell for 6 months.

Bakensteam is hell all year. Plus the wet season would probably feel worse than LOCO's hottest season. 100 F / 37 C + 80-100% humidity = 158-195 F (70-91 C) heat index. LOCO's hottest day probably had under a 195 F / 91 C heat index. 158 F / 70 C + 5-10% humidity = 138-167 F (59-75 C) heat index. Though they're both unlivable.

Now, as a side note, 158 F + 100% humidity = 944 F / 507 C heat index

Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 PM

9,670 posts, read 10,975,575 times
Bakensteam.. I would have a chance to survive outside year round for short periods unprotected.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:17 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,510,732 times
Quote:
This is more of an exercise of the imagination. What if the earth were to heat up by 60 degrees? In that case, subarctic continental climates such as Winnipeg may look like Loco and subarctic Maritime climates such as the Aleutian Islands may look like Bakensteam.
When the earth will have warmed up 60 degrees we are all dead or living on another planet. BTW, Winnipeg is not even near subarctic.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 PM

3,164 posts, read 3,343,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
When the earth will have warmed up 60 degrees we are all dead or living on another planet. BTW, Winnipeg is not even near subarctic.
Not subarctic but some years when both May and September average below 10 C (happens more often than one might expect), it would fit the definition of a subarctic climate for that year. However, it's very rare for it to happen two years in a row. Once you head 500 km north to Norway House, you're in a true subarctic climate.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What if the earth was to warm up rapidly due to a runaway greenhouse effect or freaky fluctuation of sun cycles or something like that? Have you seen the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" where the earth turns into an ice age literally overnight; what if it happened IRL in reverse? The icecaps would melt flooding all coastal areas. But subarctic areas in northern latitudes and maritime climates (well; the current maritime climates will be flooded but the new maritime regions will all be the most comfortable places to live? Humans are gonna be around for a long, long time and will find ways to survive in extreme conditions and even colonize other planets with far more hostile climates than anything that EVER existed on earth.

Use your imagination and think "what if".....

Who cares if Winnipeg is not technically subarctic- use Fairbanks or Oymyakon as an example if that bothers you.....

Old 08-15-2013, 03:59 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,510,732 times
Quote:
What if the earth was to warm up rapidly due to a runaway greenhouse effect or freaky fluctuation of sun cycles or something like that? Have you seen the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" where the earth turns into an ice age literally overnight; what if it happened IRL in reverse?

Use your imagination and think "what if".....
But it isn't possible.

Ok, I'll use my imagination. The world would be in chaos, billions of people would become refugees and the societies would collapse. As I've done conscription, I know how to handle small arms, so I'd capture an Chinese AK-47 and and some hand grenades from a 11yo refugee. I'd plunder the stores among with a 100,000 other people, brutally killing anyone that comes in my way. As no public transport is available, I can't get to my family, so I'd set up base somewhere here near by. Perhaps with my neighbor I'd make a last stand against a desperate militia consisting of Polish refugees. As I'm not Jake Gyllenhaal, a romance in these desperate times would be highly unlikely. So I'd take them by force, preferrably individuals that haven't been raped ten times already, leaving the kids for the psychos. Maybe I'd hook up with some nearby guys and fight with the power of amphetamine to the second last bullet, saving the last for myself. Good luck to everyone still out there. The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or