Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,643,637 times

Advertisements

In my opinion Fall is the worst time of year. Once the cold sets in enough for freezing to occur at night, the fog and dreary conditions set in until mid-winter. It doesn't help that we had our 2nd wettest September on record. It's been fairly dry this month, but it doesn't feel like it because today was yet another day today of nothing but fog. Knowing that 200 feet up the hill from my house basks in sunshine doesnt' make things any better, but the worst part about fall is that summer is so hot and sunny, so the cold, dark days are even worst in relative terms.

And don't even get me started on the time change. I miss Summer.

Today's bulletin from Environment Canada:

Quote:
Special Weather Statement for:
=new= Okanagan Valley
=new= Similkameen
=new= Fraser Canyon
=new= Nicola
=new= South Thompson
=new= Shuswap
=new= West Columbia
=new= East Columbia
=new= North Columbia
=new= Kinbasket
=new= North Thompson
=new= boundary
=new= arrow lakes - slocan lake
=new= West Kootenay
=new= Kootenay Lake
=new= East Kootenay
=new= Elk Valley.

Fog and valley cloud will persist through this week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==Discussion==
a strong ridge of high pressure has stalled over British Columbia and
is expected to persist through this week. Under this ridge stagnant
weather conditions have led to extensive fog and low cloud as
well as areas of patchy drizzle through many of the BC interior
valleys. Daytime heating will allow the fog and low cloud to give way
to sunny afternoons in many regions, but it is expected to reform
during the cool overnight hours.

This pattern is expected to persist through the rest of the week
as the ridge of high pressure remains in place over British Columbia.
Current indications suggest a shift in the weather pattern this
weekend will bring an end to the foggy weather by Sunday.

Motorists are encouraged to allow more time for travel, increase
following distance, and slow down when driving in foggy conditions.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as
warnings may be required or extended.

Please monitor the latest forecasts and warnings from Environment
Canada at Weather Home - Environment Canada

End
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,035 times
I hate November. I hate the dying time of the year, as I call it. Even darker, gloomier, and damper than usual, everything dies, and it starts to get cold.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 PM

29,500 posts, read 19,600,372 times
March and November suck the most. Nothing is worse then November though... Gray gloomy chilly, damp. Yuk! At least in winter we get snowstorms and Arctic blasts. It's even sunnier then November.

Sometimes April and October can also be horrible, but usually May and September are acceptable here.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,191,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
In my opinion Fall is the worst time of year. Once the cold sets in enough for freezing to occur at night, the fog and dreary conditions set in until mid-winter. It doesn't help that we had our 2nd wettest September on record. It's been fairly dry this month, but it doesn't feel like it because today was yet another day today of nothing but fog. Knowing that 200 feet up the hill from my house basks in sunshine doesnt' make things any better, but the worst part about fall is that summer is so hot and sunny, so the cold, dark days are even worst in relative terms.

Fall is one of my favorites. It is nice to take a break from the heat. Where I live, the days are generally not that cold, but it does cool down at night. Our highs still have been around 70 or a little more during the day this year, but we are talking just a few hours usually. We actually hit 80 a few times in September!

I like the change of seasons, but realize they are more drastic in some other parts of the country, so the disagreement is respectful. I also love the fall colors in forested areas and tree lined neighborhoods...just beautiful IMO!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
I feel your pain. I also really hate fall too. November is my least favorite month. We're having a long spell of foggy days too. I wish we could just skip the next 6 months.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:19 PM

927 posts, read 1,946,656 times
I despise fall.

But not because everything dies off (at least in temperate and boreal zones), nor because of the dampness and rain that starts in my neck of the woods - and never seems to end. Neither of these things help the situation but I can, at least, live with it.
My problem with fall is a noticeable decrease in day length. It starts in early October and even though this one has been uncharacteristically sunny and warm, I still sense it. It still gets me down. I still want to find a hole to crawl into and not emerge until early February.
I could move, I guess. I could head south and not feel the effects quite so severely, and I still might. But the quality of life I enjoy in my community is enough of an offsetting factor that, for now, I prefer simply to deal with it.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post

you wouldn't hate it if you lived in say north florida.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,643,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
you wouldn't hate it if you lived in say north florida.
Ah, shuddup!!

Old 10-23-2013, 02:05 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,555,583 times
I hate fall. My least favorite part of the year because everything decreases. Temps get cooler, days shorter and cloudier, etc. Additionally, Nice is a summer city and is extremely lively and crowded in summer, but all that party atmosphere starts fading away by late September.

The very worst time of the year to me is about to begin - from the reversion of DST to winter solstice.

The second half of November gets my vote for the very ****tiest time in the whole year

I like January and February much better, even if it is colder, days get slightly brighter and longer every day so every day is better than the previous one, and that positive effect is a huge mood booster.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 AM

336 posts, read 398,124 times
I love fall, nice colours and even some fog. Unfortunatelly fog seems to occor less and less often.
I don't like the low sun and the fading light but even that has its beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather