U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,659,461 times

Advertisements

Tell me what you think.

Arctic - No months average above 21C max and 4+ months average below 0C high max

Subarctic
*No months average above 21C highs (Mild winter subtype)
*4+ months average below 0C high (Warm summer subtype)

Temperate - Coldest month averages below 12C high and fewer than six months average highs above 21C

*Marine - at least 10 months > 2" of precipitation, no months average below 0C high
*Dry summer temperate - more than 20" of precipitation and more than 2 summer months with < 2"
*Humid continental - more than 20" of precipitation and less than 3 summer months with < 2"
*Dry winter humid continental - more than 2 winter months with less than 1" of precipitation
*Desert - less than 8" of precipitation

Subtropical - Coldest month averages above 12C highs (but below 21C highs); more than six months average highs above

*Humid - at least 10 months with > 2 inches of rain
*Mediterranean - at least 3 summer months with < 2 inches of rain
*Dry winter subtropical - at least 3 winter months with < 2 inches of rain
*Desert - less than 15" of precipitation

Tropical - Coldest month averages above 21C highs

*Rainforest - at least 50" of precipitation, at least 2" in its driest month
*Desert - less than 20" of precipitation
*Seasonal - More than 20", but less than 2" in driest month
*Monsoon - More than half the yearly rainfall falls within a continguous 4 month period
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 PM
B87

10,824 posts, read 6,924,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Temperate - Coldest month averages below 12C high and fewer than six months average highs above 21C

*Marine - at least 10 months > 2" of precipitation, no months average below 0C high
*Dry summer temperate - more than 20" of precipitation and more than 2 summer months with < 2"
*Humid continental - more than 20" of precipitation and less than 3 summer months with < 2"
*Dry winter humid continental - more than 2 winter months with less than 1" of precipitation
So probably the most famous example of an oceanic climate in the world would no longer be oceanic, it would be dry summer temperate.

Annual precipitation: 23.7"
None of the summer months average 2" or more, and if you take 'summer' as the warmest half of the year (in London's case May-October), then only 1 month has 2" of rain (that's October, the wettest month of the year with 2.7").

Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 PM

9,678 posts, read 11,006,189 times
Quote:
Tell me what you think.

Arctic - No months average above 21C max and 4+ months average below 0C high max

Subarctic
*No months average above 21C highs (Mild winter subtype)
*4+ months average below 0C high (Warm summer subtype)

Subtropical - Coldest month averages above 12C highs (but below 21C highs); more than six months average highs above

*Humid - at least 10 months with > 2 inches of rain
*Mediterranean - at least 3 summer months with < 2 inches of rain
*Dry winter subtropical - at least 3 winter months with < 2 inches of rain
*Desert - less than 15" of precipitation

Tropical - Coldest month averages above 21C highs

*Rainforest - at least 50" of precipitation, at least 2" in its driest month
*Desert - less than 20" of precipitation
*Seasonal - More than 20", but less than 2" in driest month
*Monsoon - More than half the yearly rainfall falls within a continguous 4 month period

This seems somewhat absurd placing Orlando in a tropical zone.

Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-13-2013, 11:27 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,417,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
This seems somewhat absurd placing Orlando in a tropical zone.

Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't think it's absurd, Orlando has a borderline tropical/subtropical climate.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 PM

9,678 posts, read 11,006,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't think it's absurd, Orlando has a borderline tropical/subtropical climate.
What other tropical climates do you know that can record a high of 5C (41F) ?

Weather History for Orlando, FL | Weather Underground

Old 08-13-2013, 11:40 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,085,101 times
I have no clue what my climate would be in this because the coldest month high is below 12, but only five months have a high below 21.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 AM

11,294 posts, read 16,417,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
What other tropical climates do you know that can record a high of 5C (41F) ?

Weather History for Orlando, FL | Weather Underground
I wouldn't use a single day's high temperature, from 3.5 years ago, to categorize an area's climate.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 AM

473 posts, read 484,652 times
I think that you should use mean temperatures rather than just maximum temperatures to determine climate types. Compare these two locations for example:
Climate statistics for Australian locations (Amberley, just west of Brisbane)
Climate statistics for Australian locations (Norfolk Island)

Amberley has an average high of 21.2C in the coldest month which would mean it makes it into the tropical classification, however it is a lot more capable of cold temperatures than Norfolk Island with an average high of 18.3C. Amberley's average minimum is about 8C lower, the record low is about 11C lower, and the record low high is about 3C lower. Having said that, I don't think either of these places should be considered tropical.

I also agree that places like Orlando are not tropical, as the lowest recorded temperatures are quite cold, and the averages are not even that high. Even snow has occurred in the area on rare occasions, which doesn't sound very tropical to me.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,659,461 times
Quote:
Exactly. Yes it can get cold, but some arctic climes can get quite hot. Barrow has hit 79F before.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 PM

4,445 posts, read 8,291,041 times
Quote:
I wouldn't use a single day's high temperature, from 3.5 years ago, to categorize an area's climate.

Quote:
Exactly. Yes it can get cold, but some arctic climes can get quite hot. Barrow has hit 79F before.
Agree with both.

Using a single day or an extreme is not what should categorize an areas climate. It has hit 77 F several times at Ponds Inlet - should be call in a "subtropical" climate? Of course not. What about the other 364 days - lol.

People in oceanic climates like to use extremes because it makes their climates seem warmer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or