U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,118,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
I wonder who has the coldest winters on this forum.
I wonder *cough* *nudge*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 AM
B87

10,824 posts, read 6,912,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Well, I did say the south of England, and at times. A game of golf, doesn't seem like it would be that out of the question for warmer parts, during warmer spells.

I don't think it snows that often at 300m in the UK. Some years it would, but not on average.
This is the coldest inhabited place in the UK.

Dalwhinnie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Golf and tennis could probably be played year round on the south coast.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,210,455 times
Quote:
Well, I did say the south of England, and at times. A game of golf, doesn't seem like it would be that out of the question for warmer parts, during warmer spells.

I don't think it snows that often at 300m in the UK. Some years it would, but not on average.
In my experience living at 300m it snows way too often for my liking. All of the last few years have had dumpings of at least 10" at my house, sometimes twice-three times a winter and I hate it!

There's 20-30 days per winter with snow falling here on average - March can also gets a lot of snow - 14" this year, and several inches on Easter day 2008.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,389,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
You live in london.
The only settlements in Britain where you could realistically say it snows half of the winter are the likes of Braemar, Dalwhinnie, Aviemore.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,210,455 times
Going by the met office stats it could be said to snow in Buxton 1/4 - 1/3 of the average winter. If it was as much as half I'd definitely have moved by now even if it meant living in a cardboard box.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 6,237 times
Quote:

I don't know what the stats are but in recent years snow above 300m has lasted a few weeks often.
It snows up there very often and the area is often susceptible to a few feet of snow. To be honest if you lived up there you'd see more than enough snow.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The only settlements in Britain where you could realistically say it snows half of the winter are the likes of Braemar, Dalwhinnie, Aviemore.
Well the winter is 90 days long and half of the winter is 45 days. I haven't got any stats on the amount of snow days but I do have days on snow lying.

Regions that will have snow lying for half the winter are:

North East England.
North West England.
Scotland

I have 10 days in the whole winter (15 in a year) and the hill behind me has 20 days so while that is not half the year it is ok. I believe the highest hills have 30 days.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which are far snowier and colder than NI's hills at 45N as opposed to NI's ~55N
Well I'm not sure about that. The winter would certainly last longer on Slieve donard that any of those hills.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Considering how he always brags NI is practically a subarctic climate or something like that
Perhaps you should take an effort to actually go through and read my posts instead of talking nonsense.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,389,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterlover View Post
Regions that will have snow lying for half the winter are:

North East England.
North West England.
Scotland
But these regions all have very high mountainous areas that skew the figures. Where the vast majority of Scotland's population live, snow does now lie for half of the year - nowhere near. Edinburgh, for example, is probably less snowy than here. Same with NW England - Manchester and Liverpool are much less snowy than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or