U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the hottest place in Canada?
******** 5 12.50%
Lillooet 3 7.50%
Lytton 4 10.00%
Osoyoos 15 37.50%
Spences Bridge 4 10.00%
Winnipeg 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:15 PM

3,159 posts, read 3,343,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Ah, I was wrong. I've never seen a humidex under 25.
It actually starts at 20 C. I remember seeing a 20 C temp. and a 27 C humidex in Toronto one summer evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 PM

6,581 posts, read 5,375,754 times
Windchills I definitely take into account though. Everyday in the winter I will always check the windchill before I step outside at 6:30AM.

A windchill below -35C means I will cover my face. If it was -20C with not much wind it wouldn't nearly be as bad.

On a day like this I wouldn't even be outside for more than 2 minutes:
Hourly Data

Old 07-22-2014, 03:35 PM

3,018 posts, read 2,516,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
It actually starts at 20 C. I remember seeing a 20 C temp. and a 27 C humidex in Toronto one summer evening.
But have you ever seen a Humidex under 25?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
But have you ever seen a Humidex under 25?
Hmmm...not that I remember. Yeah, I think 25 is the minimum for a humidex value.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:43 AM

8,078 posts, read 6,227,718 times
On the website I use, I've seen humidex values above the actual temperature at temps as low as around 10C. EC probably doesn't display these because it considers that they're outside the applicable range of the formula. Here it's currently 24C with a humidex of 30, so well above the air temp even if we're below 25C. Was 20C/27 hx a couple days ago.

Extreme example, at 7 am that day, it was 9.3C with a humidex of 9.4:
Meteociel - Observations Orly (91) - donnes mto de la station - Tableaux horaires en temps rel

I think that humidex/heat index formulas should work below 25C/27C because a humid 24C feels quite different from a dry one to me. Same thing as low as the low teens Celsius. Though at that point it's not a comfort issue for 99.9% of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Yeah inevitably places this down south near the equator have hotter temperatures of course. But Toronto and Montreal are still relatively hot cities on a worldscale scale when factoring popular and important countries and destinations in the world. About the same summer temperatures as New York City and Tokyo, and hotter than both London and Paris....
Toronto and Monreal's summers are slightly closer to London and Paris' than to NYC and Tokyo's. Their warmest month is 4F cooler than NYC's but only 3F warmer than Paris'. 9F cooler than Tokyo's but only 6F warmer than London's.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Toronto and Monreal's summers are slightly closer to London and Paris' than to NYC and Tokyo's. Their warmest month is 4F cooler than NYC's but only 3F warmer than Paris'. 9F cooler than Tokyo's but only 6F warmer than London's.
Hmm. If you looked at non-heat island sites I think Toronto would closer to NYC. Toronto has a July mean of 72F, Long Island locations are roughly 74F.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 AM

8,078 posts, read 6,227,718 times
Tho 72F is for UHI Toronto as well. The differences I gave apart from London (Heathrow) were for urban locations. Toronto Pearson averages 71F and Buttonville averages 70F. Montreal Trudeau averages 70F as well.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 AM

1,674 posts, read 908,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Yeah inevitably places this down south near the equator have hotter temperatures of course. But Toronto and Montreal are still relatively hot cities on a worldscale scale when factoring popular and important countries and destinations in the world. About the same summer temperatures as New York City and Tokyo, and hotter than both London and Paris.... Not to mention hotter than most countries in western and northern europe like Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia, etc. Canada is known for it's cold and snowy winters no doubt, but summers are considered hot and pretty average on a global scale.....
Sorry, but I simply cannot let this ridiculous example of Canadian parochialism just slide by uncontested.

Toronto and Montreal are relatively cold cities on a world-wide scale--even in summer. More generally, Canada does NOT have summers that are "considered hot and pretty average on a global scale". On a global scale Canada is cold year round. You have been deluded into thinking otherwise by the effects of media bias and cultural relativism.

For example, virtually every major city in the United States is hotter than Toronto and Montreal. New York, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles and just about everywhere else is hotter--and in some cases far, far hotter. Only places like Seattle and San Francisco are cooler (and even then, only in the summer).

When compared to Europe, Toronto and Montreal are also quite cool. Sure, they may be a few degrees warmer than Northern European cities in the height of summer but they are not nearly as warm as places like Madrid, Rome, and Athens. Moreover by comparing only the hottest month you disregard the short, truncated summer inherent to the continental climate of Toronto and Montreal. Put another way, the warm growing season of Toronto and Montreal is much shorter than that of places like London and Paris.

In Asia, just about every single major city is so much hotter than Toronto or Montreal that they may as well not be on the same planet. Similarly, most major cities in South America and Australia are considerably hotter. Don't even get started on Africa.

If you look on a population basis, I would estimate that 90-95% of the world's people live in places that have a hotter summer than Toronto and Montreal. In other words, Toronto and Montreal are actually in the bottom 10% of the world's coldest places in summer--certainly not "pretty average" and definitely not hot.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Sorry, but I simply cannot let this ridiculous example of Canadian parochialism just slide by uncontested.

Toronto and Montreal are relatively cold cities on a world-wide scale--even in summer. More generally, Canada does NOT have summers that are "considered hot and pretty average on a global scale".
I agree. But what irritates me even more is Prairie parochialism. Within Canada, the hottest summers are in the Windsor region (and more generally, the Windsor-Toronto region) and the Okanagan Valley in B.C. Yet I've had people in Saskatchewan try to convince me that Saskatchewan has the hottest summers because they, at one time, recorded the highest temperature in Canada. I live in SK and our summers range from cool to just warm, never hot. Overnight lows above 20 C are almost unheard of, but are routine in southern Ontario. Cold waves can occur in July, with even frost in some years. Frost in June occurs once every five years or so at nearly every location in southern SK. That's not a hot summer by any means.

What Torontonians consider a cold, miserable summer is comparable to our summers in our hottest years!

Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 AM

3,018 posts, read 2,516,868 times
We are chalked full of Okanagan parochialism where I live. I've lived in 6 different places around BC, and have never seen it this bad anywhere else. When I tell them that the mean summer temperature in Windsor, Ontario is higher than anywhere in BC they are shocked. Better yet, when I tell them that Kamloops is significantly drier than Osoyoos they almost blow a gasket, despite the fact that Kamloops is only 3 hours away. Even people in Kamloops have bought into the "Osoyoos is the only real desert in Canada" myth. We had some friends from Kamloops go down there to check out the "desert" only to discover it didn't look any more arid than Kamloops (Osoyoos is actually less arid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or