U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where is the hottest place in Canada?
******** 5 12.50%
Lillooet 3 7.50%
Lytton 4 10.00%
Osoyoos 15 37.50%
Spences Bridge 4 10.00%
Winnipeg 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 AM
 
Location: United Nations
5,278 posts, read 2,665,854 times
Reputation: 1214

Advertisements

If we want to be fair... there are a lot of metropolitanean areas and very large cities with summers cooler than Toronto:

Berlin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bogotá - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (record high in Bogota = average high in Toronto)
Lima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mexico City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Moscow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saint Petersburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sydney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Johannesburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ("Don't even get started on Africa, eh?" xD)
Cape Town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Same thing, and it's a COASTAL city
Melbourne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nairobi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Addis Ababa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would ultimately say that Toronto (a very large city itself) has quite average summers (Montreal is the same), they are NOT cool by world's standards just average.

Why are we talking about this, though? It's like saying (in a thread called "The Coldest Place in Argentina") that Argentina's winters are warm by world's standards. It doesn't even make sense the OP just asked what was the hottest place in Canada, that's it!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Edmonton, Canada
1,674 posts, read 908,304 times
Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
If we want to be fair... there are a lot of metropolitanean areas and very large cities with summers cooler than Toronto:

Berlin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bogotá - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (record high in Bogota = average high in Toronto)
Lima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mexico City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Moscow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saint Petersburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sydney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Johannesburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ("Don't even get started on Africa, eh?" xD)
Cape Town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Same thing, and it's a COASTAL city
Melbourne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nairobi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Addis Ababa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you really want to play this game? For each of these I could list 10 (or more cities) that are hotter.

Even for the cities you list it's not at all clear that they're cooler than Toronto and Montreal. Many are high-altitude equatorial and have no winter (or summer) to speak of. What's more, most of the other cities have much longer warm seasons than Toronto and Montreal and subsequently experience a much longer duration of "summer-like" weather. Paris, for example, is warmer than Toronto in May and September.

Oh, BTW, Sydney is hotter than Toronto even in summer. Please remove it from your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I would ultimately say that Toronto (a very large city itself) has quite average summers (Montreal is the same), they are NOT cool by world's standards just average.
Wrong. 6.5 billion (billion with a B) people live in places hotter than Toronto. It is cool by world standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Why are we talking about this, though? It's like saying (in a thread called "The Coldest Place in Argentina") that Argentina's winters are warm by world's standards. It doesn't even make sense the OP just asked what was the hottest place in Canada, that's it!
No, it's because some dude made the claim that Toronto and Montreal are hot by world standards and I couldn't let that slide.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 11:42 AM
 
873 posts, read 756,275 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Toronto and Monreal's summers are slightly closer to London and Paris' than to NYC and Tokyo's. Their warmest month is 4°F cooler than NYC's but only 3°F warmer than Paris'. 9°F cooler than Tokyo's but only 6°F warmer than London's.
Actually it's a closer to NYC and Tokyo but not by much. Take July for example. Average high in Toronto and Montreal is 26C. New York City it's 28C. Tokyo is 29. London is 23. and Paris is 25. So it's more in the middle.

Quote:
Sorry, but I simply cannot let this ridiculous example of Canadian parochialism just slide by uncontested.

Toronto and Montreal are relatively cold cities on a world-wide scale--even in summer. More generally, Canada does NOT have summers that are "considered hot and pretty average on a global scale". On a global scale Canada is cold year round. You have been deluded into thinking otherwise by the effects of media bias and cultural relativism.

For example, virtually every major city in the United States is hotter than Toronto and Montreal. New York, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles and just about everywhere else is hotter--and in some cases far, far hotter. Only places like Seattle and San Francisco are cooler (and even then, only in the summer).

When compared to Europe, Toronto and Montreal are also quite cool. Sure, they may be a few degrees warmer than Northern European cities in the height of summer but they are not nearly as warm as places like Madrid, Rome, and Athens. Moreover by comparing only the hottest month you disregard the short, truncated summer inherent to the continental climate of Toronto and Montreal. Put another way, the warm growing season of Toronto and Montreal is much shorter than that of places like London and Paris.

In Asia, just about every single major city is so much hotter than Toronto or Montreal that they may as well not be on the same planet. Similarly, most major cities in South America and Australia are considerably hotter. Don't even get started on Africa.

If you look on a population basis, I would estimate that 90-95% of the world's people live in places that have a hotter summer than Toronto and Montreal. In other words, Toronto and Montreal are actually in the bottom 10% of the world's coldest places in summer--certainly not "pretty average" and definitely not hot.
First off I did say Summer only. Everyone knows Canada is cold, NOT in the summer though. And overall Canada DOES have average summer temperatures on a worldwide scale. That's a fact by looking at simple statistics. Just because you find places that are hotter doesn't mean Canada is lower in terms of hot temperatures. And remember I'm talking summer only, not year long. You can find as many hotter places than Toronto/Montreal as you can colder places. Which makes it average. I have rarely seen a monthly average high temperature above 33 degrees and Toronto/Montreal are at 26 degrees which most places in the world are around. Like the other post said Vienna, Paris, Berlin, London, Norway all have cooler summers than Toronto and Montreal. New York and Tokyo are almost the same. I am stating the major population and popular centres in the world and they all have summers that are cooler or similar to Toronto/Montreal. San Francisco and Seattle have cooler summers as well. So yeah, Overall Canada or specifically Toronto and Montreal have average and hot summers on a global scale.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Edmonton, Canada
1,674 posts, read 908,304 times
Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Actually it's a closer to NYC and Tokyo but not by much. Take July for example. Average high in Toronto and Montreal is 26C. New York City it's 28C. Tokyo is 29. London is 23. and Paris is 25. So it's more in the middle.
You need to stop looking at just July and look at the whole summer.

The average low in Tokyo in August (24.5C) is almost equal to the average high in Montreal in August (24.8C).


Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
First off I did say Summer only. Everyone knows Canada is cold, NOT in the summer though. And overall Canada DOES have average summer temperatures on a worldwide scale. That's a fact by looking at simple statistics. Just because you find places that are hotter doesn't mean Canada is lower in terms of hot temperatures. And remember I'm talking summer only, not year long. You can find as many hotter places than Toronto/Montreal as you can colder places. Which makes it average. I have rarely seen a monthly average high temperature above 33 degrees and Toronto/Montreal are at 26 degrees which most places in the world are around. Like the other post said Vienna, Paris, Berlin, London, Norway all have cooler summers than Toronto and Montreal. New York and Tokyo are almost the same. I am stating the major population and popular centres in the world and they all have summers that are cooler or similar to Toronto/Montreal. San Francisco and Seattle have cooler summers as well. So yeah, Overall Canada or specifically Toronto and Montreal have average and hot summers on a global scale.
Congratulations, you have just proven how your narrow perspective of the world is. A smattering of cities across Northern Europe is not representative of the world.

I invite you to look through this list of the world's largest cities and find all the ones with summers cooler than Toronto.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 PM
 
873 posts, read 756,275 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post

Oh, BTW, Sydney is hotter than Toronto even in summer.
Sydneys average high for December, January and February is 25C...How's that hotter? That's pretty much the same as Toronto it's 24, 26, 25 for June, July and August. And this is in Australia even so that says something about summers in Toronto. Most people in the world who expirience summer in Montreal/Toronto would say it's a pretty hot summer. I don't think anyone would say the summer is too cold for them except for people around the equator maybe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 PM
 
6,579 posts, read 5,373,534 times
Reputation: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Do you really want to play this game? For each of these I could list 10 (or more cities) that are hotter.

Even for the cities you list it's not at all clear that they're cooler than Toronto and Montreal. Many are high-altitude equatorial and have no winter (or summer) to speak of. What's more, most of the other cities have much longer warm seasons than Toronto and Montreal and subsequently experience a much longer duration of "summer-like" weather. Paris, for example, is warmer than Toronto in May and September.

Oh, BTW, Sydney is hotter than Toronto even in summer. Please remove it from your list.


Wrong. 6.5 billion (billion with a B) people live in places hotter than Toronto. It is cool by world standards.


No, it's because some dude made the claim that Toronto and Montreal are hot by world standards and I couldn't let that slide.
Excellent post! Can't give enough reps to that!

Some people just don't have a clue.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 PM
 
Location: United Nations
5,278 posts, read 2,665,854 times
Reputation: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
You need to stop looking at just July and look at the whole summer.

The average low in Tokyo in August (24.5C) is almost equal to the average high in Montreal in August (24.8C).



Congratulations, you have just proven how your narrow perspective of the world is. A smattering of cities across Northern Europe is not representative of the world.

I invite you to look through this list of the world's largest cities and find all the ones with summers cooler than Toronto.
I already did it.

Berlin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bogotá - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mexico City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Moscow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saint Petersburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sydney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Johannesburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cape Town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Melbourne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Addis Ababa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Nairobi was wrong, and some inland suburs of Sidney are much hotter than Toronto)
This list would be WAY longer if we compare with places like Osoyoos.

However, this reasoning is flawed, just because not only big cities have to be taken in consideration.

Virtually any city in:

Germany, New Zealand, UK, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Hokkaido, Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Siberia, Belarus, Czech Republic, Kaliningrad Oblast and Austria has cooler summers than Toronto. That alone is approximately 327,000,000 (approximately 4.6% of total population).

If we add: Bogota, Lima, Mexico City, Paris, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Agadir and Addis Ababa we get 412,900,000 (5.9% of population... approximately, of course).

If we add some other cities (like Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, San Diego, San Francisco, Cochabamba, Arica, Antofagasta, Nantes, Quebec City, Bilbao, Porto, A Coruña, Vigo, Le Havre, Zurich, Vladivostok, Ulan Bator and Hulunbuir) we get around 445,780,000 (6.3% of population).

This, of course, is considering only these cities. Probably it can get up even to 8-10%

And:

1) Toronto isn't the hottest city in Canada. Osoyoos may be. And I estimate a lot more cities are cooler than Osoyoos.
2) Toronto may be demographically a bit cool (especially considering the large amount of people in hot and poor countries), but geographically it isn't (considering Antarctica, the Arctic and high plateaus).

I'm not sure what I'm "fighting" for, this data is totally meaningless, however, we can start a new thread to continue this talk

And... I'm not sure why are you saying "I haven't got a clue", really.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM
 
3,159 posts, read 3,341,074 times
Reputation: 5133
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
1) Toronto isn't the hottest city in Canada. Osoyoos may be. And I estimate a lot more cities are cooler than Osoyoos.
I think Windsor lays claim to that title based on JJA and MJJAS averages. Osoyoos' nights are relatively cool.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Paris
8,078 posts, read 6,225,560 times
Reputation: 3265
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Actually it's a closer to NYC and Tokyo but not by much. Take July for example. Average high in Toronto and Montreal is 26C. New York City it's 28C. Tokyo is 29. London is 23. and Paris is 25. So it's more in the middle.
Averages for the warmest month:

TOK 81°F
|
|
|
|
NYC 76°F
|
|
|
MTL & TOR 72°F
|
|
PAR 69°F
|
|
LON 66°F (outside the UHI)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Edmonton, Canada
1,674 posts, read 908,304 times
Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Sydneys average high for December, January and February is 25C...How's that hotter? That's pretty much the same as Toronto it's 24, 26, 25 for June, July and August.
No, you need to account for the influence of water and the resulting sea breeze. Sydney's "official" climate data are from Observatory Hill which is heavily marine influenced; a better comparison would be Toronto Island Airport where summer maximums are 21.6C, 25.1C, and 24.3C. If you don't like that then you can compare Pearson to one of Sydney's Western Suburbs where maximums are 28-30C.

You also should note that Sydney can gets "summer-like" weather for five (or more) months of the year--at least using a Canadian definition of summer-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
And this is in Australia even so that says something about summers in Toronto.
Please, don't be absurd. Any way you look at it, Sydney is warmer than Toronto. Yet Sydney itself is one of the coolest cities in Australia and it is certainly much, much cooler than vast stretches of the Australian continent. If you placed Toronto (in summer) in Australia it would be clinging for dear life on the coldest southern stretch of the continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Most people in the world who expirience summer in Montreal/Toronto would say it's a pretty hot summer. I don't think anyone would say the summer is too cold for them except for people around the equator maybe.
Most people in the world who experience summer in Toronto/Montreal would go through one of the coldest summers of their life. For many people, they would have never felt weather so cold. And, yes, I'm talking about summer.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top