U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: The 7 best climates I could find. which of them do you think is best?
Sanya,China 0 0%
Veracruz,Mexico 5 35.71%
Nassau,Bahamas 2 14.29%
Natal,Brazil 2 14.29%
Havana,Cuba 1 7.14%
George Town,Cayman Islands 2 14.29%
Kaohsiung,Taiwan 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 AM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,892 posts, read 3,110,431 times
Reputation: 680

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Would you enjoy a category 5 hurricane right on top of you? I like earthquakes but less than 6.0; I would NOT want to experience anything bigger than that. When I'm in Florida, I'd like to experience an intense thunderstorm or a named tropical storm but no hurricanes. Nothing that's gonna keep me "rained in" for more than a few hours on my vacation.
A cat 5 no but I would'nt mind a cat 3 this is about as strong a storm as I would be able to enjoy.
Hurricane Georges - Luquillo, Puerto Rico - Sep. 21, 1998 - YouTube Beyond that all basic services like Police,Fire rescue, water supplies,etc go down plus the economic and human cost become to big not to mention my personally saftety is put at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2013, 12:51 AM
 
Location: HERE
2,055 posts, read 2,649,721 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
A cat 5 no but I would'nt mind a cat 3 this is about as strong a storm as I would be able to enjoy.
Hurricane Georges - Luquillo, Puerto Rico - Sep. 21, 1998 - YouTube Beyond that all basic services like Police,Fire rescue, water supplies,etc go down plus the economic and human cost become to big not to mention my personally saftety is put at risk.
Orlando can only get a category 1 though because it's far enough inland right? I don't want to have to worry about something like the video happening on my vacation....I would imagine it would shut down the roads, theme parks, etc for several days at least!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,892 posts, read 3,110,431 times
Reputation: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Orlando can only get a category 1 though because it's far enough inland right? I don't want to have to worry about something like the video happening on my vacation....I would imagine it would shut down the roads, theme parks, etc for several days at least!
nope as recently as 2004 hurricane charley brought cat 2 conditions to orlando and did this
Hurricane Charley - Disney - Lake Buena Vista, Florida - August 13, 2004 - YouTube
and in the last 150 years 6 major hurricanes have given orlando a direct hit the last one was Donna in 1960.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:06 AM
 
Location: HERE
2,055 posts, read 2,649,721 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
nope as recently as 2004 hurricane charley brought cat 2 conditions to orlando and did this
Hurricane Charley - Disney - Lake Buena Vista, Florida - August 13, 2004 - YouTube
and in the last 150 years 6 major hurricanes have given orlando a direct hit the last one was Donna in 1960.

How long before they re-opened the parks and roads after Charley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 AM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,892 posts, read 3,110,431 times
Reputation: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
How long before they re-opened the parks and roads after Charley?
Actually you going to be suprised to hear this but the very next day after the hurricane they reopened the parks. now granted not everything was fully operational but the parks were open despite tress being down and the like. but in all honesty you shouldn't be worried. like I said the chances that a hurricane pops up while u are there is only 4-5%. and it doesn't help me either because i'll be in orland the weekend of 6-8 th so i don't want a hurricane then either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 AM
 
Location: HERE
2,055 posts, read 2,649,721 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Actually you going to be suprised to hear this but the very next day after the hurricane they reopened the parks. now granted not everything was fully operational but the parks were open despite tress being down and the like. but in all honesty you shouldn't be worried. like I said the chances that a hurricane pops up while u are there is only 4-5%. and it doesn't help me either because i'll be in orland the weekend of 6-8 th so i don't want a hurricane then either.

I'll be there very shortly afterwards. I know chances are my trip will be hurricane-free but nothing's worse than taking vacation time, spending money on a flight and hotel, and have a good segment of it eaten away by being trapped inside the hotel. It's like getting the flu on vacation. I'm not actually scared of being hurt in the hurricane cuz I know I'm gonna be inside the room with food and supplies (most Californians would totally freak out at the thought of one though). My friend will be with me for 4 of the 8 days and she grew up in the Dallas area so she's used to severe weather. I just want to have fun. I can handle being rained in for a few hours and will probably find it amusing to watch heavy rain and high winds but then still want to get back to being out and about as soon as the storm passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,892 posts, read 3,110,431 times
Reputation: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
I'll be there very shortly afterwards. I know chances are my trip will be hurricane-free but nothing's worse than taking vacation time, spending money on a flight and hotel, and have a good segment of it eaten away by being trapped inside the hotel. It's like getting the flu on vacation. I'm not actually scared of being hurt in the hurricane cuz I know I'm gonna be inside the room with food and supplies (most Californians would totally freak out at the thought of one though). My friend will be with me for 4 of the 8 days and she grew up in the Dallas area so she's used to severe weather. I just want to have fun. I can handle being rained in for a few hours and will probably find it amusing to watch heavy rain and high winds but then still want to get back to being out and about as soon as the storm passes.
okay good to know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 AM
 
509 posts, read 626,048 times
Reputation: 625
Havana, I guess. They're all pretty gross. But Havana is one of the drier ones with less rain days at least, and on the 'cooler' end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Miami,FL
2,892 posts, read 3,110,431 times
Reputation: 680
okay I voted for the cayman Islands because even though it doesn't have a true dry season or get as much total rainfall. it makes up for that in a big way by being the hurricane capital of the atlantic. it averages a direct hit by a hurricane every 5-6 years and get's affected by one every 1-2 years. so that's why I chose it. just look at how paloma was on the island http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTW4pUG2D38

Last edited by miamihurricane555; 08-19-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
15,966 posts, read 12,536,603 times
Reputation: 5088
Kaohsiung for me. It has the nicest (coolest) winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top