Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,884,404 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever traveled to experience a climate phenomenon that they haven't experienced before? Snowbirds visiting the tropics to escape winter doesn't count if their home climate has warm, humid summers.

Good examples would be visiting Death Valley in summer to experience extreme dry heat or visiting Siberia in winter just to experience extreme cold (one poster confessed to wanting to do this in another thread) or going to extremely high altitudes just to experience the thinner air.

Of course, it counts if you combine the trip with sightseeing with the only criteria is that you have never experienced those conditions before taking the trip.

A Californian driving up to the mountains to see snow only counts if someone in that trip has never seen snow (e.g. a family taking their kids up to Lake Tahoe to experience snow when the kids haven't ever seen snow before counts even if the parents saw snow before).

I'm more interested in hearing if anyone here has been to somewhere like Siberia, Mount Everest Base Camp, an equatorial rainforest or any other exotic location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,915,025 times
Never been on climate tourism, yet. First destination I want to go is to the Arctic.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,104,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Has anyone here ever traveled to experience a climate phenomenon that they haven't experienced before? Snowbirds visiting the tropics to escape winter doesn't count if their home climate has warm, humid summers.

Good examples would be visiting Death Valley in summer to experience extreme dry heat or visiting Siberia in winter just to experience extreme cold (one poster confessed to wanting to do this in another thread) or going to extremely high altitudes just to experience the thinner air.

Of course, it counts if you combine the trip with sightseeing with the only criteria is that you have never experienced those conditions before taking the trip.

A Californian driving up to the mountains to see snow only counts if someone in that trip has never seen snow (e.g. a family taking their kids up to Lake Tahoe to experience snow when the kids haven't ever seen snow before counts even if the parents saw snow before).

I'm more interested in hearing if anyone here has been to somewhere like Siberia, Mount Everest Base Camp, an equatorial rainforest or any other exotic location.
I have. my trips to china and colombia qualify. China's new experience was the pollution, for colombia it's was the cloud forests I literally didn't know if the next step I took we cause me to fall over the cliff because of how thick the fog was.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM

927 posts, read 1,946,656 times
My first trip to death valley during a summer month would have qualified but the temperature was only a frosty 110.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 PM

654 posts, read 1,908,993 times
I know it sounds crazy to people but I'd love to go through a hurricane. Not a category 5 or anything but maybe a 2 or 3 in a safe building with electricity.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably spend some time just following Jim Cantore around to experience some weather extremes.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:12 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,104,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I know it sounds crazy to people but I'd love to go through a hurricane. Not a category 5 or anything but maybe a 2 or 3 in a safe building with electricity.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably spend some time just following Jim Cantore around to experience some weather extremes.
You're not alone buddy. I live in the hurricane belt and I'm still mad that the last hurricane we had was 8 years ago( we are 4 years overdue now).

Old 08-20-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post

You have me thinking that if a cat 1 hits on my trip to Florida, it won't be so bad. It will be "climate tourism". Nothing higher than a cat 1 though-I haven't even experienced a REAL thunderstorm before.

I'm actually going there in September as combined sightseeing and climatic tourism experience with the intention of experiencing Florida's theme parks, lush and tropical scenary, warm water beaches, swamps, and some REAL thunderstorms. I could have gone in November for more "comfortable" weather but I want more "interesting" weather that I haven't experienced before.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,923,406 times
I've lived in 3 climates - tropical monsoon, subtropical desert, and (currently) humid continental bordering on subarctic. As I've experienced a temperature range from -50 F to +128 F, I have few options left for tourism . Actually, I'd love to experience a transition season in a temperate climate, like New York City or Chicago. I've never seen a proper Fall.
For the last few years, I've been spending part of my winters in a maritime-influenced temperate climate, which is a nice break from subarctic, but rather boring.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I've lived in 3 climates - tropical monsoon, subtropical desert, and (currently) humid continental bordering on subarctic. As I've experienced a temperature range from -50 F to +128 F, I have few options left for tourism . Actually, I'd love to experience a transition season in a temperate climate, like New York City or Chicago. I've never seen a proper Fall.
For the last few years, I've been spending part of my winters in a maritime-influenced temperate climate, which is a nice break from subarctic, but rather boring.
Take a trip to a four seasons climate in October then. Pick a place you're interested in sightseeing in; historical Boston, the scenic Rockies, any four seasons climate that you would enjoy spending a week in; and plan on seeing the area for a week- you'll see the fall colors and also see sights that interest you.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,923,406 times
Boston sounds like a great idea. My wife has always wanted to visit Cape Cod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather