U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,775,569 times

Advertisements

Pretty it is, no contest, however those nice palm trees are...dwarves. You just cannot grow several feet high Phoenix Canariensis like on the Riviera...or in California!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,201,151 times
That's right, palms here are not higher than 8-9 m.
They're usually 2-3 meters high and there are a lot of mediterranean dwarf palms, Chamaerops humilis, which are the only italian native palms (Sicily and Sardinia).

Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 AM

9,670 posts, read 10,975,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Our winters are certainly colder than in the Italian Riviera, which is surrounded by a deep sea and is completely sheltered by mountains, getting foehn winds during mosts of cold snaps.

Rimini is located in hardiness zones 9a and the lowest temperature recorded in the city is -10.1C. Snow and cold winds may occasionally damage palms during rare cold outbreaks like December 2010 or February 2012, but temperatures below -14C occurred at the airport only 2 nights in over 60 years (1956 and 1985).

Anyway, palms are extremely common in Rimini, on the beach, in hotels and houses' gardens, though there aren't scenic boulevards lined with date palms like Nice or Sanremo, and there aren't tropical palms.
Palms are neither Rimini native plants, nor Italian Riviera's.
Temperate climate palms like the chilean wine palm, the desert fan palm, the chinese fan palm, the brazilian jelly palm, the mexican blue palm and the mediterranean fan palm can perfectly grow and even propagate in our climate.
There are also plenty of mediterranean plants (olives, oleanders, cypresses, pines, grapevines, figs, holm oaks, jujubes, capers, laurels) and subtropicals (magnolias, yuccas, cycas, agaves, cordylines, loquat, kiwifruits, blue-passion flowers, cyperuses, jerusalem cherries, pomegranates, ice plants, persian silk trees, crape myrtles, pittosporums, tamarisks, silver wattles, gazanias) and any type of temperate fruit tree, which grow without any winter protection.

Rimini's area is also one of the northermost zones in Italy (and worldwide) suitable for extensive olive cultivation and olive oil production.

Here some examples:

1. Rimini Adriatic Winter by Michele Solmi
Winter in Rimini - Adriatic Sea - a set on Flickr
2. Image from Tripadvisor
Foto di Centro Congressi SGR, Rimini - Attrazione - TripAdvisor
3. Image from Rivergreen golf
Rivergreengolf Rimini
4. Image from Guiadelmundo
Suite Hotel Litoraneo Rimini
5. Image from hotelriccione
http://www.hotelriccione.it/public/L...e2riccione.jpg

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing I always love seeing pics with lots of palms. They just make my day Downtown Vancouver has very similar winter averages and record low to Rimini but we can't grow nearly the variety you can. Why do you think it is? All the rain we get in winter perhaps

Old 09-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing I always love seeing pics with lots of palms. They just make my day Downtown Vancouver has very similar winter averages and record low to Rimini but we can't grow nearly the variety you can. Why do you think it is? All the rain we get in winter perhaps
Hey, you're welcome.
First of all, I would say that Vancouver it's a wonderful city and I love it so much. I've noticed that Vancouver has similar record low temperatures, a similar growing season and some nice palms too.

What hardiness zone is Vancouver? Here the airport and the nearby countryside lie in a borderline 9a (average -6,5C). Rimini downtown is a full 9a zone.

How frequent are temperatures below -10C? At Rimini airport, temperatures <-10C that may damage less hardy palms have occurred only 15 nights, in 6 distinct cold outbreaks (1979, 1985, 1991, 1996, 2009, 2010).

Summers in Vancouver are cooler, and many palms generally like hot summers and (my little palms germinated in June, at about 25C daily highs). Your climate is more maritime.

Rimini's urban area is not very large but it has a medium density (about 5.000 inhabitants/sq km), with a few low rise suburbs and many 4-5 stories buildings. I guess that large parts of Vancouver are more suburban.

So maybe all these factors can determinate the variety of palms and plants that you can grow.

Anyway, our most common trees are not palms. Our native trees are English oaks, hornbeams, alders, limes, and we have a number of magnolias, olives, pines, cypresses, cedars, horse chestnuts, poplars and plane trees.

Stay tuned for more palm photos from Rimini

Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM

9,670 posts, read 10,975,575 times
Quote:
Hey, you're welcome.
First of all, I would say that Vancouver it's a wonderful city and I love it so much. I've noticed that Vancouver has similar record low temperatures, a similar growing season and some nice palms too.

What hardiness zone is Vancouver? Here the airport and the nearby countryside lie in a borderline 9a (average -6,5C). Rimini downtown is a full 9a zone.

How frequent are temperatures below -10C? At Rimini airport, temperatures <-10C that may damage less hardy palms have occurred only 15 nights, in 6 distinct cold outbreaks (1979, 1985, 1991, 1996, 2009, 2010).

Summers in Vancouver are cooler, and many palms generally like hot summers and (my little palms germinated in June, at about 25C daily highs). Your climate is more maritime.

Rimini's urban area is not very large but it has a medium density (about 5.000 inhabitants/sq km), with a few low rise suburbs and many 4-5 stories buildings. I guess that large parts of Vancouver are more suburban.

So maybe all these factors can determinate the variety of palms and plants that you can grow.

Anyway, our most common trees are not palms. Our native trees are English oaks, hornbeams, alders, limes, and we have a number of magnolias, olives, pines, cypresses, cedars, horse chestnuts, poplars and plane trees.

Stay tuned for more palm photos from Rimini
Cool! I look forward to it Downtown vancouver is in hardiness zone 9a. The temperature hasn't fallen below -10C in more than 30 years. The airport is in zone 8b and outer suburbs are 8a. It seems the only palm tree you see here regularly is the windmill palm but I know we could grow much more than that. It's true that while summers are fairly cool that they have plenty of warm days in the 25C range and the temps are quite stable not varying more than 3-5C from the average.
than

Old 09-17-2013, 12:39 PM

15,865 posts, read 12,438,182 times
Quote:
That's right, palms here are not higher than 8-9 m.
They're usually 2-3 meters high and there are a lot of mediterranean dwarf palms, Chamaerops humilis, which are the only italian native palms (Sicily and Sardinia).
Great photos.

I would think those Phoenix and Washingtonia palm will get a lot taller yet, although those record lows for Rimini, could do a lot of damage if they happen again.

Where I live, has much cooler summers, but warmer winters than Rimini. I don't know what would be a more suitable overall conditions for those palms species. The tallest Phoenix palms here are around 20 metres high. Washingtonia palms are only new in this area, but seem to grow around 2 ft/50 cm of trunk a year.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Here more palms from Rimini, Italy

Ristorante Nettuno Rimini, Image from Facebook
Risultato della ricerca immagini di Google per https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/422641_279789908761511_643619289_n.jpg
2. Spiaggia 63A ingresso by Libra Rimini
http://www.librarimini.it/spiaggia-63a-ingresso.jpg
3. Lapidario romano del Museo by Brendino, on Panoramio
Panoramio - Photo of 076 lapidario romano del Museo
4. Grand Hotel , Image from easyviaggio
Hotel Grand Rimini, Rimini*- Prenotazioni, recensione e pareri
5. Spiaggia Rimini 64 by Hotel Fiorella
http://www.hotelfiorella.it/immagini/spiaggia-rimini-dario-64.jpg

Old 12-23-2013, 05:41 PM

6,581 posts, read 5,375,754 times
B- good summers

Old 12-23-2013, 07:53 PM

10,053 posts, read 6,995,827 times
C+

Nice summers, good amount of rainfall, but too darn cold in the winter.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,461 times
Hi, here you can see the average snowfalls in the Po Valley between 2000 and 2012.

As you can see Rimini is the snowiest place near the coast because of the proximity of the Appennines. The influence of the Adriatic Sea is very strong on snowfalls! The sea surface temperature reach a minimum temperature between 2C and 7C depending on the winter weather and the bora wind from NE keeps temperatures about 5C higher then only 5/10km inland. An example is Feb 1st 2012 when I measured 88mm of rain with 2C and 5km from here fell about 1m of snow.
When the sea is warm (7-12C in December) we can have snow showers or even thundersnow when cold air passes over the adriatic sea (a sort of Lake Effect Snow). Here are some pics of Dec 2010:
http://forum.meteonetwork.it/nowcast...eve-suolo.html

http://forum.meteonetwork.it/meteo-f...ontributo.html

http://forum.meteonetwork.it/meteo-f...lpina-d-c.html

http://forum.meteonetwork.it/meteo-f...12-2010-a.html

The "official" weather station of Rimini has a lot of problema (humidity is overestimated and rain underestimated), the year average is about 800mm.

Here are some datas:
winters with a lot of snow:
1928/29: 121cm
1962/63: 103cm
1966/67: 93cm (80cm in 9 hours on Jan 7th)
1955/56: 87cm
1990/91: 81cm
2011/12: 76cm

There are some winters with no snow (about 1 every 6/7 years).

Years with more rain:
1964: 1402mm
2002: 1365mm
2010: 1320mm

The last June fell 150mm in 2 hours (90mm in the first hour) and the town center was flooded.

The unofficial data were collected by a person living in Rimini since 1940 using 3 different manual rain gauge (this confirms the validity of the data). Also my Davis weather station and his rain gauges measured similar rain data during the 2013.

Summer low temperatures are so much higher near the sea, expecially after the 90s, because of the Global Warming the summer is now about 2C warmer than before and we have a lot of tropical nights (min over 20C), sometimes even 60 or 70 days (summer 2012).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather