U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:13 PM

16,206 posts, read 7,646,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Actually the same can be said of many other coastal areas of the US. I know a few people that grew up on the New Jersey coast, and outside of a few times a year, they really didn't do the beach thing. Too many other things going on.
That's very true, but people that don't live in coastal areas are always saying things like "oh if I lived in (insert typical vacation destination/coastal area here) I would be at the beach 364 days out of the year" and then they move there and end up realizing the beach isn't really all that and that they're too busy doing their own stuff that they end up rarely going to the beach. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 PM

9,670 posts, read 10,985,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Everyone says that, but if you live 30-45 mins away from the beach, I really doubt you'll be 2 or 3 times a week, assuming you're a normal busy person. Unless you want to pay extra for living buy the beach or live in a crime ridden neighborhood that's close to the beach but cheap (remember everything that's cheap...it's for a reason). The best neighborhoods in south FL are located far from the beach, and going to the beach for the people who live out there is definitely not a "2-3 times a week" occurence. The neighborhoods that aren't by the beach but close and cheap are normally crime ridden.

I love swimming as well, even though I'm a cold weather person, and I still didn't really go all that often.
Well location of course is very important. Most people including myself wouldn't drive 30-45 minutes to the beach after work. There is a beach here that I like to go to sometimes that is about that distance from my house and I've been about two times this summer. I generally don't swim much though because the water is too cold. I like the atmosphere though. That is primarily why I go. There are a lot of beaches are close to the downtown core where I work here that I can go to after work but I usually don't bother much because the water is too cold much of the time. If I lived in HI or FL that wouldn't be an issue

Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,262,214 times
Quote:
The point is, the media is supposed to be unbiased, if they showed the same glorification towards cold weather it would be just as wrong.

You seem like the type of northerner that has this "vacation paradise" view on Florida 95 F is not pleasant, relaxing and comfortable when you're walking to class, running errands, going to work, exercising, etc. There's nothing relaxing about showing up to class hot and sweaty. At least if it's 30 F outside (which DOES happen here in Tallahassee) I can throw on a hoodie and be nice and dry and comfortable AND relaxed when I show up to class.

Might be relaxing if you're sitting by the pool or beach, but those of us that you know, actually have a JOB and go to school we only do that a few times a year. I only went to the pool like 3 times this whole summer, went to the beach a grand total of 2 times.
Vacation paradise on Florida? No way! 95 F Is pleasant when you're walking to class, running errands, going to work, etc.

I don't care if I show up to class hot and sweaty
I never exercise
I actually like the feeling of sweating.

Just a hoodie on at 30 F!?!?!?!!? I'd be shivering like crazy!

Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
Vacation paradise on Florida? No way! 95 F Is pleasant when you're walking to class, running errands, going to work, etc.

I don't care if I show up to class hot and sweaty
I never exercise
I actually like the feeling of sweating.

Just a hoodie on at 30 F!?!?!?!!? I'd be shivering like crazy!
Well, I hope your sweaty, smelly ass is not trying to talk any girls in that condition. I enjoy sweating when I'm exercising or playing sports or lifting weights, but besides that I'd rather not sweat just walking to my car.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Well location of course is very important. Most people including myself wouldn't drive 30-45 minutes to the beach after work. There is a beach here that I like to go to sometimes that is about that distance from my house and I've been about two times this summer. I generally don't swim much though because the water is too cold. I like the atmosphere though. That is primarily why I go. There are a lot of beaches are close to the downtown core where I work here that I can go to after work but I usually don't bother much because the water is too cold much of the time. If I lived in HI or FL that wouldn't be an issue
You're right that the atmosphere at the beach on Las Olas is awesome during spring break , I went there with my ex during that time and we had a great time together, definitely a great place to take a date. You belong in south FL, my friend, I think you'd love it there , better yet Key West....record low of 41 F

Old 08-26-2013, 06:19 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,262,214 times
Quote:
Well, I hope your sweaty, smelly ass is not trying to talk any girls in that condition. I enjoy sweating when I'm exercising or playing sports or lifting weights, but besides that I'd rather not sweat just walking to my car.
What is your point?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM

9,670 posts, read 10,985,112 times
Quote:
You're right that the atmosphere at the beach on Las Olas is awesome during spring break , I went there with my ex during that time and we had a great time together, definitely a great place to take a date. You belong in south FL, my friend, I think you'd love it there , better yet Key West....record low of 41 F
Cool! Yeah South FL sounds like a great place. I actually had a chance to move there several years ago since I was dating a girl from Miami. Unfortunately, things didn't work out and I never moved

Old 08-26-2013, 07:33 PM

1,248 posts, read 962,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
See me, I would LOVE that it never changes. I despise any kind of change really. Despise it. I don't even like my Firefox browser nagging me to update, to me, that should happen--oh, maybe once every 4-5 years. Regarding the weather, I absolutely DEPLORE spring-time with all the ups & down every other day. When it's now to where the norm is 70, it should be 70, not 50 one day and 90 the next, followed by ice storms one day and 85 degree temps 2 days later. To me such weather is borderline evil.

The people who live in Hawaii who hate it--what is WRONG with them? I would KILL for such weather. I The thing is, besides not liking a lot of changes, I also don't like extremes, hot or cold, but cold especially. Cold weather makes my fingers get stiff, but hot weather as in 95'F or so is awful too. The trouble is, if you hate extreme heat, most places that only get up to 85-90'F have very cold winters, and vice versa. There are places that only get up to 85'F or so in the summer and never any colder than say 55'-60'F in the winter, but they are EXPENSIVE to live in & crowded with way too many people to where you're secretly wishing that a meteorite would hit the area while you happened to be out of town & you could come back to an area not so stinking full of too many other people.

My wish-list--I want it to max out at 85'F in the summer AND get no colder than 50-55'F or so in the winter AND not be expensive to live in AND not be crowded AND not have any bugs AND be sunny AND nonetheless STILL have plenty of water for the creeks & such despise the low levels of rain AND there be no volcanoes AND there be no risk of wildfires AND there be no risk of tornadoes AND there be no risk of hurricanes AND fast food places not be 35 miles away.

ALL of it. Every last bit. ALL of it.

No, I'm not asking for a lot, ha ha.
In your dreams, spoiled brat. There is no true "perfect" place, and you're acting like that there is one. And no, there is nothing wrong with people who don't like the weather in Hawaii. You've probably heard this a million times, but people have different weather tolerances and you can't just turn cold lovers into heat and sun lovers by bombarding them with your own opinions.

I'll bet you have OCD, Asperger syndrome, or some other autistic disorder.

You're just repeating yourself over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Gets kind of annoying, doesn't it?

Last edited by Siberian High; 08-26-2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
What is your point?
What's the point of 70% of the crap you post on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Cool! Yeah South FL sounds like a great place. I actually had a chance to move there several years ago since I was dating a girl from Miami. Unfortunately, things didn't work out and I never moved
Damn man sorry to hear that :/, I had a similar situation this summer. I had a GF when I lived in Miami and she was gonna move up here with me to Tallahassee and everything, but things didn't work out at the end. But hey maybe you can retire in Miami some day , just know if you do, try to stay in Broward County, Dade County has some really dangerous neighborhoods to avoid, in fact some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in all of the U.S are in Dade County, Broward County has a lot of areas to avoid as well, but not nearly as bad. Palm Beach is pretty bad as well.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 PM

15,885 posts, read 12,449,999 times
They don't really glorify hot weather here, probably because there isn't much hot weather here. Usually on the news it's a comment on the temperature reaching 35C somewhere and a bit of footage, of someone eating an ice cream.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-26-2013 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or