U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 04:16 PM

4,445 posts, read 8,279,403 times

Advertisements

[quote=alex985;31175884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

I've said many times I don't mind palm trees in FL lol, I don't like where they look out of place or aren't native. And anyways, your response to French_User's post had little to nothing to do about about what he said. You brought up Florida/South Atlantic states for no reason whatsoever, trying to make the southern US look warmer than it is....as usual.
Huh?

Even though I don't hate palm trees....why would I "try to make Florida look warmer"...lol

My response DID have everything to do with what Frenchuser (incorrectly) said ("most of the palms planted in CA and FL are from somewhere else).

Also, I see by your posts (I hate Palms, I hate warmth...etc) you hate where you live. That's fine (millions do), but why do you get so angry when people post the fact about things. You need to relocate and lose alot of your anger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:26 PM

8,078 posts, read 6,227,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
No, they fit perfectly!
The Croisette looks stunning, hardly a comparison with the Porte Dore. I've always thought that that square would look better with plane trees, oaks or maples. I don't remember it without palms, not sure when they've been planted.

They've planted them in the inner "suburbs" too. I guess one could say that they enhance their surroundings:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=saint...,26.47,,0,0.66

Old 08-28-2013, 04:28 PM

1,674 posts, read 908,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Incorrect as well.

Florida thatchpalm, Florida Royal Palms, among others grow to 100 feet tall:
As before, most are scrubby little things hardly worth the time of day. Royal Palm is an exception, but it just floated over from Cuba anyway.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:29 PM

12,087 posts, read 9,602,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Most of those are scrubby little things hardly worth the time of day.

Some are pretty neat looking. I like the Florida Silver Palm, the Everglades Palm and the Royal Palm. They don't look small to me. Others though are like you said kind of small and scrubby, lol.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Hey if some random coconut drifts up to the west coast of Ireland and establishes itself there, I'm all for that. But those crappy trachys didn't get to Paris naturally: somebody planted them there and they look absurd.

I agree the stuff along the Loire Valley that you pointed out seems fine and perfectly in the correct context. I can extend the northern limit of palms to include that area.
You could say the same about the CIDP's shown in the UK. They are not long term plantings.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Exactly, and yes the average high may be in the 50s (low 50s at that) but the average low is barely above freezing. And that's Atlanta, the surrounding suburbs/countryside (outside the 285 loop) probably has average lows below freezing all 3 winter months. Where I lived about 60 miles north of Atlanta the averages for the 3 winters months were Dec: 51/31 Jan: 48/28 Feb: 53/30, not exactly warm in my opinion lol. Record low of -11 F as well.

Atlanta is pretty far inland though and also at over 1,000 feet in elevation. What is interesting to me about that -8F in 1985 is that it was actually colder than Philadelphia that same year. We only got down to -6F. Atlanta does at times in winter get colder than Philadelphia on the nightime low when a really strong arctic front comes down all the way to the South.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
As before, most are scrubby little things hardly worth the time of day. Royal Palm is an exception, but it just floated over from Cuba anyway.
Royal Palm is native to Florida AND Cuba according to several sources.

Your photo is of the needle palm (I think)...the smallest of all the native Florida Palms.

There are at least 5 others that grow from 30 to 100 feet tall (Florida Thatchpalm, Key Thatchpalm, Silverpalm, Paurotis-Palm, Cabbage Palm, Buccanneer Palm, and the Royal Florida Palms).

Even the coconut palm is really a Florida native. Ever since the Florida Keys has been occupied by humans, there have been coconut palms growing wild there (400 years). Whether they wash in from Cuba, the Caymans...etc is a source a of debate from what I've read. However, the same can be said of coconut palms everywhere in the world to some degree.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 PM

11,482 posts, read 5,904,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You could say the same about the CIDP's shown in the UK. They are not long term plantings.
Why are they not long term plantings?? There are CIDPs over 100 years old on Tresco & in Torquay, they have lived through some pretty cold winters! CIDP's are hardy where I live too, as it has never got cold enough here to kill them, the record low is -8C, the record low in Torquay is actually slightly lower at -8.9C...

Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

...and that was the point of my post (I don't know if you saw it) several pages back:

What’s ironic is that where there are palms planted (outside of the tropics of course)... has been misrepredted for so long that people now have no idea what’s right or wrong- lol (botanically speaking).

The history of palm/ subtropical plant cultivation in temperate climates started back in the 1800’s in Victoria era England. Robert Fortune brought back that Windmill Palm (Tracycarpus ) that everyone seems to hate (lol) to temperate climates. Yet in climates like Atlanta (that are subtropical though in the very edge) people had little interest in palms. You'll find this the world over, they grow palms in climates that never had any native palms anywhere near them...and often don't grow palms in climates that have native palms in/close to them. I know times are changing, but it's funny to see that even at one point there were more palms in climates like London or Seattle than in Atlanta or Shanghai.

That's the funny part to me.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM

15,865 posts, read 12,438,182 times
Palms are definitely out of fashion here at present. They were big about 5 years ago, but landscapers say there is very little interest for them now. Good luck trying to find them in the shops as well - very meagre selections.

Windmills and CIDP's don't really count, as they are naturalised and mostly just seedlings from someone's gardens, lawns etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or