U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM

6,504 posts, read 4,235,062 times

Advertisements

Having spent a week in Jersey recently, I can tell you it feels and looks different to Oceanic England. Palm trees and tropical looking plants everywhere. You just don't really see it like that in England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:21 PM

11,482 posts, read 5,904,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Having spent a week in Jersey recently, I can tell you it feels and looks different to Oceanic England. Palm trees and tropical looking plants everywhere. You just don't really see it like that in England.
Maybe so in the bulk of England but certainly on the south coast you do see similar plants everywhere. Here in Portsmouth, and Southsea more especially, palms & other exotic plants are common. It isn't unusual to see a CIDP in somones garden or even a large Oleander. Things like Yucca elephantipes are common garden plants here too. I think seaside resorts do tend to have more in the way of exotic plants, but down here the climate is better for so many different types...

Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM

2,892 posts, read 3,093,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
^^ Meh, I find it awkward when I see a Maple Tree in Florida as well, just seems out of whack. (Believe it or not, even in the Miami area, there are small Maples growing there, they even change color in the fall and go bare in the winter)
I know there are what make me want to puke. I hate temperate plants in the sub tropics

Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,326,715 times
We left FL over 10 years ago and actually miss the darn things. I especially miss the friendship palms. I hated them while living there though. I wanted trees with changing with the seasons instead. I have had that now for the past several years and miss the darn palms.

Funny.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 PM

90 posts, read 75,007 times
Default LOL! I finally met someone like me!!!

Quote:
I guess after living in FL so long....I'm just tired of them. I find them quite boring and ugly to be frank. I especially find it disappointing when I go out of state (like Atlanta or DC) and see a palm tree completely ruins the feel IMO.
And I have never lived in FL or any topical locale except visiting.

I like "regular" trees I think that my dislike of palm trees must be from a past life, though. It seems rather irrational. Although I don't think they look nice.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 15 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,847,123 times
Quote:
^^ Meh, I find it awkward when I see a Maple Tree in Florida as well, just seems out of whack. (Believe it or not, even in the Miami area, there are small Maples growing there, they even change color in the fall and go bare in the winter)

Where in Miami is this? :O I want my own tree to change colour in Fall.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:05 AM

342 posts, read 297,745 times
Palms trees are fine only in their natural habitat.
In Europe they look incongruous at best (around the Med), ridiculous at worst (north of the Med basin).

Old 02-22-2014, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,260 times
Palms out of place=bad, BUT many of you seem to not understand what is "out of place" for a palm tree.

Certain palm trees (needle, cabbage palms) are COMPLETELY native to the southeast coastal plain as far north as North Carolina and they thrive there.

Planting trees in the piedmont (inland south, Atlanta) is unnatural.

I happen to love the look of an old, lofty palm tree that hasn't been trimmed and has the cascading "fur coat" around it's trunk. People who trim the fur coat are finicky fools, the palm in it's natural state looks most majestic and is prime habitat for birds and insects.

Palm haters get your facts straight first.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:44 PM

870 posts, read 756,464 times
I love Palm Trees, in places where they can naturally grow to be fine specimens. But I don't care a great deal for the scrubs that we get here in the west of Scotland:

They always look as if they're barely just hanging on to life.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:47 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,764,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
I love Palm Trees, in places where they can naturally grow to be fine specimens. But I don't care a great deal for the scrubs that we get here in the west of Scotland:

They always look as if they're barely just hanging on to life.
those are joshua trees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or