Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 AM

454 posts, read 793,577 times

Advertisements

Tons of them here, obviously, in San Diego.... not my favorite tree by any means

The "fan" leaf type palm is rather pretty, very tall and looks great silhouetted at sunset.

The "feather" leaf type is nasty... drops dates constantly, a mess to clean up.. and when it sheds and those big heavy feather-leaves come crashing down, better not be standing under them... they bring with them fibrous stuff, debris and bugs.... blech!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I guess after living in FL so long....I'm just tired of them. I find them quite boring and ugly to be frank. I especially find it disappointing when I go out of state (like Atlanta or DC) and see a palm tree completely ruins the feel IMO.
I would'nt be shocked to see palm trees in those places. I feel Atlanta, and maybe even DC to be mild enough to get some palm trees. All palm trees are not tropical species, and many fit well in humid subtropical, mediterranean or oceanic climates. I'd think they do not fit in places where the winters are very cold (with usually snow and such) as in continental or boreal places. Elsewhere thay are part of the landscape.

In Europe, most palm species have been brought from north Africa or the middle east. Many species are here since as long time to be considered part of the landscape since centuries.
One specie of Palm is even native to Europe: Chamaerops - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Quote:
^^ Meh, I find it awkward when I see a Maple Tree in Florida as well, just seems out of whack. (Believe it or not, even in the Miami area, there are small Maples growing there, they even change color in the fall and go bare in the winter)
The Oaks here haven't lost their leaves yet, but the willows are already fully leaved. It does look a bit odd if they're side by side. I still think they look good here, even if the climate isn't what they're used to. A nice contrast to the native vegetation.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 AM

176 posts, read 520,848 times
There are a dozen things I see every day that are way more awful than a palm tree. Graffiti. Litter in gutters. Posters left to rot on telephone poles. Feral cats that have been dumped there by humans. Initials scratched into paint on public benches. Billboards (I hate that visual pollution). Ratty "Going out of business sale" banners on stores for a year. Abandoned vehicles in weedy lots. But a palm tree .... what a nice mental break from the blight.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
^^ Precisely, that last image makes me want to go puke...lol. Snow and palm trees just don't go together. The next thing I'll see is I'll go to a ski resort in northern Vermont and see a damn palm tree there
This is a wrong misconception that all palms are made to fit tropical climates.

Most mediterranean palms used to have occasionally snow falls (yes mediterranean regiona have occasional snow), they are fit to that, even if they need an mild average winter, and dry and sunny summers, occasional snow is not a problem. Snow used to fall in the near east where most mediterranean palms are originary from; not all palms are from nor need humid and all year hot climate conditions.

Last week end I was in Rochefort, a little Atlantic coastal city which used to be the arsenal where the old war ships where made. Almost all the streets are planted with little palms (there are palms in that regions since centuries), it fits well with the mild and sunny climate of that area where there are palms in every corner, included some CIDP.
https://maps.google.fr/?ll=45.93858,...213.23,,0,0.32
https://maps.google.fr/?ll=45.93858,...&cbll=45.93858,

Obviously, if they were coconut trees or other typically tropical palm, that would be ridiculous, but temperate/mediterranean palms do fit the place.

Last edited by french user; 08-27-2013 at 01:53 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,665,826 times
I don't like those ones on clear water beach.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:45 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,397,110 times
I love palm trees, and unlike some of the posters here, I actually love them being covered in snow, that reminds me of the climates of Croatian Adriatic during cold snaps.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,183,152 times
In Rimini there are a lot of palms in private gardens and beaches, mainly the dwarf mediterranean fan palm, the chinese fan palm and the chilean wine palm. In Southern Italy there are also many Canary date palms (obviously there aren't coconut palms in Italy!).
I love them and I think they fit well with other common trees and shrubs here, like italian pine, italian cypress, southern magnolia, olive and oleander. But I don't like at all palms in our countryside landscape, where common species are oaks, ash trees, hornbeams, lime trees, willows and poplars. And it's fairly prohibited to plant them outside the urban areas.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
But I don't like at all palms in our countryside landscape, where common species are oaks, ash trees, hornbeams, lime trees, willows and poplars. And it's fairly prohibited to plant them outside the urban areas.
Really? That's interesting to see that planting palms is prohibited in countryside areas of Italy. In France we do not have such restriction. As long the specie is adapted to the climate, that's OK.
In my parent's village, which is in the countryside, 30km away to the shore, there are a few of them inside the town, and also in private gardens.

Last edited by french user; 08-27-2013 at 03:25 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,378,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
^^^ A big range of Northern Hemisphere deciduous trees grow here and very well, yet it doesn't snow here. Do you think they would look cheesy? - as if people here are trying to pretend they live in Toronto? Would they look right in a climate that stays way warmer than where they're from?
Deciduous trees in warmish climates are weird too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather