U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:34 PM

12,087 posts, read 9,599,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I agree , I think the sea islands are the most beautiful for live oaks and palms and wild nature, the ones that are really left untouched you can see kind of untouched natural state I like. amelia off north floridas coast is nice and the outer banks in north carolina are great for camping near the shore, very nice to have hiking and the beach to yourself and not tons of people

Places like cumberland island are pretty amazing to hike, miles on the beach without seeing many people at all, so much stuff grows on a small island like that, bananas, olive trees, alot of citrus,calamondin, fig trees, blueberries, grapefruit, acorns,wild persimmons, blackberries, ,passion fruit etc

this is the heart of winter, the palms look nice under the oaks and spanish moss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSc5Qy9OhmA

this main road is just gorgeous, you can camp right near the beach

http://www.kristinekstevens.com/wp-c...4/img_1919.jpg

http://blog.wfsu.org/blog-coastal-he...3-1024x575.jpg

https://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/g...y=90&mode=crop

Uh oh. The South could be in danger of losing another very prominent broadleaved evergreen. Imagine just how deciduous the South will get without the Red Bay and Live Oak. Red Bay is already history as it is being wiped out very quickly. And now the evergreen oaks are going.

Our live oaks are in danger: Guess who's responsible? | AL.com

The images you show of huge spreading live oaks covered in moss may become a thing of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 05:48 PM

3,619 posts, read 1,367,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Uh oh. The South could be in danger of losing another very prominent broadleaved evergreen. Imagine just how deciduous the South will get without the Red Bay and Live Oak. Red Bay is already history as it is being wiped out very quickly. And now the evergreen oaks are going.

Our live oaks are in danger: Guess who's responsible? | AL.com

The images you show of huge spreading live oaks covered in moss may become a thing of the past.
That alot gloomier reading of that article than I got, what happened to the red bay was that invasion of red bay ambrosia beetle. I didnt get anything like that is happening to the live oaks by that article

The southern live oaks are a world treasure like the mighty sequoia in the pacific northwest, I dont think people would let them start to disappear without a fight, the live oaks and the bald cypress in the south are the oldest trees east of the Mississippi, you have something like the seven sisters oak which is 1500 years old,if they can survive all these brutal hurricanes they should survive this oak wilt

Old 09-09-2016, 05:52 PM

5,841 posts, read 2,464,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
That alot gloomier reading of that article than I got, what happened to the red bay was that invasion of red bay ambrosia beetle. I didnt get anything like that is happening to the live oaks by that article

The southern live oaks are a world treasure like the mighty sequoia in the pacific northwest, I dont think people would let them start to disappear without a fight, the live oaks and the bald cypress in the south are the oldest trees east of the Mississippi, you have something like the seven sisters oak which is 1500 years old,if they can survive all these brutal hurricanes they should survive this oak wilt
There is a live oak in NC more than 2k years old.

Brunswick live oak was alive in Christ's time :: WRAL.com

The fact that live oak lives so long makes it a perfect tree to replace the willow oaks, willow oaks make up our urban canopy. Willow oaks only live 90 years, imo they should be replaced by live oaks.i don't understand why it's not more widely used here. Most live oaks in the area are in parking lots and are always being cut back so they never reach the full potential. Even the ones by churches and in downtown get their limbs cut off. The article Tom linked only said live oaks in stressed urban conditions are at risk, not wild ones.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:11 PM

3,619 posts, read 1,367,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
There is a live oak in NC more than 2k years old.

Brunswick live oak was alive in Christ's time :: WRAL.com

The fact that live oak lives so long makes it a perfect tree to replace the willow oaks, willow oaks make up our urban canopy. Willow oaks only live 90 years, imo they should be replaced by live oaks.i don't understand why it's not more widely used here. Most live oaks in the area are in parking lots and are always being cut back so they never reach the full potential. Even the ones by churches and in downtown get their limbs cut off. The article Tom linked only said live oaks in stressed urban conditions are at risk, not wild ones.
that is amazing. I have never been there but love those little southern towns like beaufort sc near the coast nobody knows about, its like time stood still with the old architecture, I wonder if alot of north carolina coastal towns get the spanish moss

That tree in nc looks like a gorgeous neighborhood tree on a street but its 2000 years old

http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/lifes...83-646x485.jpg

http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/lifes...16-728x409.jpg

Last edited by floridanative10; 09-09-2016 at 06:21 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 06:16 PM

5,979 posts, read 3,074,951 times
In reality, most live oaks that people claim to be "2000 years old" are not even close to that age. They are a fast-growing species, so large size gives the illusion of old age. Have they carbon dated these trees or chopped them down to count the rings? Unlikely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or