U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:44 AM

9,669 posts, read 10,970,575 times

Advertisements

Palms are my absolute favorite tree and should be planted anywhere where they will grow unprotected, so basically every city, town and village in the world that is USDA hardiness zone 8 or above should be choc-a-block full of palms at every corner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM

12,087 posts, read 9,599,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
They looked out of place even in Atlanta. Anywhere north of southern Georgia they look out of place, IMO.

Lol I think the people of South Carolina would take exception to that since they have native palm species.

Look how nice they look in Charleston, SC. Don't look out of place at all imo.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,610,543 times
I don't dislike them, but I'm not a huge fan of them. I'd prefer trees with thicker vegetation and not really interested in seeing them outside their native habitat except as an occasional novelty.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:10 AM

15,858 posts, read 12,432,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Deciduous trees in warmish climates are weird too.
I wouldn't say it's weird here as it's a cool climate. Apples are the main crop for this region and deciduous trees do well here, although some varieties take a while to lose their leaves. Deciduous and subtropical look equally in place here.

Here's a few photos from around town last weekend showing showing typical mixtures of vegetation.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone besides me dislike Palm Trees?-gedc0230.jpg   Anyone besides me dislike Palm Trees?-gedc0231.jpg   Anyone besides me dislike Palm Trees?-gedc0229.jpg  

Old 08-27-2013, 11:12 AM

12,087 posts, read 9,599,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I wouldn't say it's weird here as it's a cool climate. Apples are the main crop for this region and deciduous trees do well here, although some varieties take a while to lose their leaves. Deciduous and subtropical look equally in place here.

Here's a few photos from around town last weekend showing showing typical mixtures of vegetation.

I think the mix of trees look very nice. Decidious and palm can go together well.

Do people like cherry trees there?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:18 AM

15,858 posts, read 12,432,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I think the mix of trees look very nice. Decidious and palm can go together well.

Do people like cherry trees there?
Cherry orchards are mostly further south, due to the tendency for here to get heavy rain during the middle of the harvest. Flowering cherries are common garden plants though. I've got one here that should flower soon - I will post a photo when it does.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM

4,707 posts, read 3,338,366 times
I hate palm trees. In Florida, they double as "roach condos", and that was just another reason to despise them.

Give me a 30 foot tall oak any day.....

Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
I love palm trees and don't know why anyone would not like them.

I believe the farthest North that they grow naturally is Fenwick Island, Delaware. I've had the pleasure of being on the island and admiring the palms there.

If they're anywhere else farther North, I think they were taken there by man.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM

8,078 posts, read 6,225,560 times
For the record, I don't hate all palms, I only dislike windmill palms, especially when they're planted in unsuitable places that make them look shabby in the long term. On the other hand, for example, I find coconut trees stunning. Btw wow at these washingtonia robusta, planted in the 19th century.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ia_Robusta.jpg

If only this guy could do the same to our trachycarpus (skip to 3:30).

Usher - Burn - YouTube

Old 08-27-2013, 02:46 PM

1,674 posts, read 908,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Palms are my absolute favorite tree and should be planted anywhere where they will grow unprotected, so basically every city, town and village in the world that is USDA hardiness zone 8 or above should be choc-a-block full of palms at every corner
The thing is when planted outside of their native tolerance zone palms are generally of marginal health and seem discordant with the surrounding environment. They lack authenticity and if anything seem to accentuate the fact that the place where they're planted is too cold. It's kind of like putting a big spoiler on a slow car.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or